GUI handling of conflicting filenames

fatso83

I think a key missing feature from Sync is stopping errors from propagating by interacting with the user and presenting her with options on what one can do. As an example, I recently filed an issue #49958 where the indexing was out of control. It turned out that due to some naming conflict (probably due to the composed/decomposed issue) *.Conflict folders were being created. By the time we found out why indexing never finished 1.4 million such conflict folders had been created for one particular weirdly named folder.

When stuff like that happens Sync should notify the user that something really fishy is going on (ok, I am a programmer so I know that is way too wide description to implement, but you get the gist) and some possible solutions like:

Folder X is causing conflicts because of naming issues. These are your options for fixing the problem:
- Notify user X that the created file Y has a filename causing problems and ask her to rename the folder
- Do X
- Do Y
We will stop sync for this subfolder/item until the problem has been fixed.

If there had been some kind of "cross-network error diagnostics" built into the protocol maybe errors that arise on another peer than the one that created the filename can be propagated back to the origin to fix the error in the source. AFAIK only the "destination" peer gets any info  through the GUI that a filename contains illegal characters, and from my experience they have no idea what to do about it (if they even understand it's a problem).