Move synced directory

rstarkov

I would like to move where a directory is synced to without re-syncing it.

Suppose I have given a read-only key to 10 other people, and now I want it stored in a different place on my machine. Is there any way of doing that without having them all delete the old and add a new key?

Yes, as stallemanden indicated, this can be done as follows:

1) Copy the folder's "Secret"

2) Remove the folder from SyncApp

3) Copy/move the entire folder contents to a new location

4) Re-add the folder's new location to SyncApp, using the secret you copied in Step 1

SyncApp will still re-index the folder, but it will then carry on sync'ing with the folders on the other devices you'd previously given the same key to. You won't have to re-issue a new key to your 10 other people!

Yes, as stallemanden indicated, this can be done as follows:

1) Copy the folder's "Secret"

2) Remove the folder from SyncApp

3) Copy/move the entire folder contents to a new location

4) Re-add the folder's new location to SyncApp, using the secret you copied in Step 1

SyncApp will still re-index the folder, but it will then carry on sync'ing with the folders on the other devices you'd previously given the same key to. You won't have to re-issue a new key to your 10 other people!

In this example, what happens with the master secret for this folder? If I were syncing this folder with 2 other devices of mine, the master key for the folder would be the same on all 3 devices before the move (I believe). What about after the move? Would I have to copy and paste the master key in addition to the read-only key for the 10 people?

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to do this on the other end without re-syncing? I am of course assuming I did everything right but that's sometimes debatable. 

My computer at work has the master key and I'm syncing it to my computer at home. At home I currently have the folder under \workspace\ but since there are other folders I want to add to that directory I need to move it to \workspace\work\. I tried the above suggestion in that I copied everything in the sync directory, moved it to the new directory and then re-added the key to bytsync. It kind of works in that I don't think I've lost anything but It still seems to be resyncing (It shows about 500kb/s sending and recieving) the entire directory which is about 1.2gb in size. 

Notes: Since I'm using windows 7, I have in my folder settings to show all hidden files and system files. So in copying the folder to a new directory that should have moved everything.

Operating System: Windows 7

BitSync Client: 1.4.103 Beta

@tacorn

It should not resend data if it did not change. Looks like a bug - I suggest collecting debug logs. For the future, starting from version 1.4 Sync follows moved folders. So you can simply move whole folder - Sync will update its new location. Although, it will work only if you move folder within one logical drive boundaries on Windows.

• 3 weeks later...

1.4.111 x64

Is there anyway in the program to just change the location? It would be so helpful to just click on the status message and right click to change the location. I have a share on a server that another admin moved to a different server. Without going into a huge amount of detail it would be so much easier to just be able to update the one BTSync and point it to the new location.

Ideas? Maybe update the software? Next release?

Thanks -WS