Latest Desktop Build 1.4.99

RomanZ

@b0rman

1.4.99 does not contain fix to "out of sync" if it is not related to encrypted peers. Though, thanks a lot for the logs - our devs will analyze them thoroughly.

@rockhill04

The fix for locked files is not present in 1.4.99. If you are willing to participate in testing and try experimental build intended to address this issue - you please acknowledge it here.

Why is it not available via auto-update yet?

From the Unofficial FAQ:

"Note: If you currently use the auto-update feature of BitTorrent Sync, it may inform you that your "Client version is up to date" despite a newer build being available. This is intentional whilst Sync remains in "beta" - new builds are currently announced here in the forums in the first instance. Not every "beta" build is pushed via auto-update, only those considered significant/more stable. Even then these may not be pushed out to existing users via auto update until several days/weeks after they are first announced on the forums"

In my setup, I have a few Windows clients and one linux server with encrypted shares. With version 1.4 I had the well known out-of-sync problems, so I had to change to unencrypted shares.

Today, after upgrading all peers to 1.4.99, I still got the out of sync error...

But after disconnecting the shares on the linux server and reconnecting with clean folders, it seems to work now!

The encrypted function is more for storing data on others' computers (or on rented server space), since the host computer is unable to read it.

A good example being two friends that shared a few GB space for each others' sensitive data - each doesn't want the other looking at it, so it's encrypted. However, the data is still there on the other computer.  If their own HDD died, it will restore to their side unencrypted once they choose a new folder and set up btsync right (provided they still have the proper key).

i had to uninstall and stop using sync. it locks up my CAD files and Office files and it has created a nightmare for us at the office. I will send the logs.

Moving to GoodSync.

Best of luck to the sync team. The concept is great. My company will even pay for it, if it worked.

You have excluded the "dwl" and "dwl2" files from sync right ? i also use some cad files, no problems at all since the last fix.

Also, i used to work with goodsync .. gave me headaches ... bittorrent sync is way better (when fixed :D )

After several days of tinkering and hoping, I can confirm that encrypted nodes do not sync. It syncs part of a 50gb folder and never finishes. This release seems no better than the last in terms of encrypted node sync engine bugs. It still frequently says no peers when the peers column lists 2 of 2. Encrypted nodes don't sync. I will say that my one read-only (not encrypted) node does seem to work ok. It doesn't always sync, but it usually will after a few hours of being out of sync. What was introduced since 1.3.109 that made the engine so buggy? Wasn't 1.4 mostly a UI update? Still a frustrated user here.

@sfmcnally

There was a big number of changes and optimizations on the core, so it can't be tracked easily. The 1.4.99 build contains a couple of fixes that should fix your situation. Did you re-add the folders and it is still not working?

If yes - we'll need your debug logs to understand what is not working in your environment.

I'm confused. Am I doing something wrong? I had BTSync working great for like 5 folders, and it still works just fine for them. Fast forward a few months, and I'm on this most recent version on all my machines.

1) I go on my wife's computer, I add a new folder to sync.

2) I copy her read / write key.

3) I use a browser to get to my FreeBSD box and fire up the Bittorrent Sync WebUI.

4) I add a new folder. I do this by clicking the middle icon of the two links in the upper right of the Web UI.

5) I paste in my key. Then I create a new folder in my sync destination.

6) I expect that the two folders are in sync.

7) Status is listed as "Out of Sync" even though when I browse the folder on my NAS, I see the files are in there. 

8) Both machines show "1 of 1" peers attached, and one shows the NAS. The other shows the laptop. That makes sense.

9) I drop a new file onto the mac. It doesn't show up on the NAS.

How was it able to do the initial sync, but it's not adding this new file? And why are my other folders still properly sync'ing?

From the Unofficial FAQ:

"Note: If you currently use the auto-update feature of BitTorrent Sync, it may inform you that your "Client version is up to date" despite a newer build being available. This is intentional whilst Sync remains in "beta" - new builds are currently announced here in the forums in the first instance. Not every "beta" build is pushed via auto-update, only those considered significant/more stable. Even then these may not be pushed out to existing users via auto update until several days/weeks after they are first announced on the forums"

Thank you!  If everything appears to be working correctly, do you recommend updating to the latest version that is offered on http://www.getsync.com/download, or only updates available through auto-update?

Thank you!  If everything appears to be working correctly, do you recommend updating to the latest version that is offered on http://www.getsync.com/download, or only updates available through auto-update?

In general beta builds which are considered more significant/stable are made available via auto-update. So if everything is working correctly for you in your current version of Sync, I'd advise waiting for updates via the auto-update function, rather than manually downloading and installing new builds the main download/site forums as you're not missing out on any "new features" or anything.

Updated builds published on the forum/via the download site generally contain fixes for specific issues/edge use cases - but if you're not experiencing the specific issues that newer builds address, there's no urgency to update outside of the auto-update cycle.

That said, obviously Sync is in Beta right now... and it does massively aid development and the stability of the product if users are able to use/test/give feedback/bug reports on the latest beta builds... so it's your choice as to whether to keep with the auto-update cycle and potentially have a little more "stability" or whether you use the "very latest" beta builds in order to aid development

when you say re-add, do you mean that I need to delete the encrypted data and start over or just remove the folders, uninstall btsync with remove settings checked, reinstall and readd the folder. I did the latter, but I did not delete the actual encrypted data, because it was a very large folder. I did delete the .sync folder during the reinstall.

-Sean

@sfmcnally

There was a big number of changes and optimizations on the core, so it can't be tracked easily. The 1.4.99 build contains a couple of fixes that should fix your situation. Did you re-add the folders and it is still not working?

If yes - we'll need your debug logs to understand what is not working in your environment.

when you say re-add, do you mean that I need to delete the encrypted data and start over or just remove the folders, uninstall btsync with remove settings checked, reinstall and readd the folder. I did the latter, but I did not delete the actual encrypted data, because it was a very large folder. I did delete the .sync folder during the reinstall.

-Sean

RomanZ meant remove the folders from Sync (Folder Preferences - > Disconnect), and then re-add the folders back. No need to delete any data, or indeed uninstall/reinstall Sync itself.