Hello Pro! Sync 3.0

Also in this version I miss a important feature.

In many times I use my computers and Smartphones also in company environments, which are restricted and closed. Mainly the ports 80 and 443 are open and requests to open the ports 3000 or such like that is not accepted by the IT departments.

Since Resilio's Relay servers do not work with ports 443 and 80, I'm forced to evade. Either I then use a ownCloud portable client or Syncthing, since the former already uses web-based only these ports and the second can provide corresponding Relays with these ports 443 and 80.

In all the companies I can not change anything, not even the firewalls. But - I'm allowed to use: http:// (port 80) and https:// (port 443). So I'm allowed to use the software that works on it. So the networks are usually restrictive and allow only certain protocols and thus often enough only http:// (port 80) and https:// (port 443), only a few is more open and even UPnP ports can be opened and Resilio will run as well. But that's more the exception. For that is not possible to influence the router configuration in the "external" locations. Because my favorite Resilio is not working, I dodge to Syncthing, ownCloud, and nextCloud. Syncthing I take because it basically works more or less as well as Resilio and this has the consequence, that I have to use Syncthing for the same directories in addition to Resilio, that's not very clean, but in principle it works with a few special ignore settings.

This things are also discussed in other threads, but without result. The current relays and manual settings etc. doesnt work. But it would be better if Resilio could be operated with relay servers with the ports 443 and 80.

2 hours ago, Andy+ said:

Also in this version I miss a important feature.

In many times I use my computers and Smartphones also in company environments, which are restricted and closed. Mainly the ports 80 and 443 are open and requests to open the ports 3000 or such like that is not accepted by the IT departments.

Since Resilio's Relay servers do not work with ports 443 and 80, I'm forced to evade. Either I then use a ownCloud portable client or Syncthing, since the former already uses web-based only these ports and the second can provide corresponding Relays with these ports 443 and 80.

In all the companies I can not change anything, not even the firewalls. But - I'm allowed to use: http:// (port 80) and https:// (port 443). So I'm allowed to use the software that works on it. So the networks are usually restrictive and allow only certain protocols and thus often enough only http:// (port 80) and https:// (port 443), only a few is more open and even UPnP ports can be opened and Resilio will run as well. But that's more the exception. For that is not possible to influence the router configuration in the "external" locations. Because my favorite Resilio is not working, I dodge to Syncthing, ownCloud, and nextCloud. Syncthing I take because it basically works more or less as well as Resilio and this has the consequence, that I have to use Syncthing for the same directories in addition to Resilio, that's not very clean, but in principle it works with a few special ignore settings.

This things are also discussed in other threads, but without result. The current relays and manual settings etc. doesnt work. But it would be better if Resilio could be operated with relay servers with the ports 443 and 80.

IT might still find out you're running Syncthing and catch up with you about it. That happened to me.

Looks like this update made one of my previous issues much more relevant.

I had a pro/family license before, but used most of my devices without license because I think the current identity concept without giving more granular control is a security issue by design.

I'm using Sync on a few devices that I really consider as my trusted, private devices, but a lot more of those where Sync is running on, I do not consider as secure or trusted because they are, for example, easily accessible by anyone else. Generally, I just want to share a few selected folders with them, without allowing anyone else to just connect one of the other folders and access all of the more sensible data in them.

Now my question is, what do do with all of those instances? Shall I request multiple free licenses for all of these?

2 hours ago, jdrch said:

T might still find out you're running Syncthing

I have experienced restrictions in one case so far and in this case I arrived with only closed computer and Syncthing continued to run after open them. If I had to start the computer there, nothing worked either. Apart from that, I haven't had any problems with restrictions anywhere.

13 minutes ago, Mouserider said:

Looks like this update made one of my previous issues much more relevant.

I had a pro/family license before, but used most of my devices without license because I think the current identity concept without giving more granular control is a security issue by design.

I'm using Sync on a few devices that I really consider as my trusted, private devices, but a lot more of those where Sync is running on, I do not consider as secure or trusted because they are, for example, easily accessible by anyone else. Generally, I just want to share a few selected folders with them, without allowing anyone else to just connect one of the other folders and access all of the more sensible data in them.

Now my question is, what do do with all of those instances? Shall I request multiple free licenses for all of these?

Not sure what your threat model is, but if you use proper modern OS permissions and are an admin on each device you should be safe from other users accessing your data. If, additionally, the device storage is encrypted, you should also be safe from non-nation state external attacks.

I have a similar situation and get around it by doing the above and a few things (some of these overlap/contradict, adapt them as you see fit):

1. I put files that are useful to each device, but not necessarily private in a separate folder. This I sync freely, with read-only access to devices on which I'm not admin
  2. I encrypt private files, e.g. password databases, separately so that even if the file is accessible on each device, it's readable only by me
  3. For devices I'm not an admin on, I encrypt the files myself so that they are readable only by me

Just a thought.

Will we be able to install Resilio Sync 3.0 on Windows Server operating systems? The article says that Sync for Business licenses will no longer be sold, and that you will need to move up to the enterprise solution. I assume that comes at a higher cost than what the Business licenses previously cost.

Is this your way of phasing out the previously grandfathered-in lifetime Business licenses from when you first started restricting Resilio Sync installs on Windows Server OSes? (edit- it does say you can continue to use your existing business licenses and you will continue to receive "security updates", but we still won't be able to buy new Business licenses for additional machines)

13 minutes ago, Andy+ said:

Finally a installation and test of v3 give you the right answer.

Normally I'd agree, but they might be worried about losing their existing license and being unable to go back to the previous version.

So is the best to open a ticket.

In the FAQ I found the follow

Why I cannot update my Resilio Sync Business installation? 
We're committed to providing our business customers with the best possible storage synchronization platform, including our next-generation product, Active Everywhere. More information is available on our website

I use Sync Business on my personal Windows Server. Can I update it to Resilio Sync v3? 
Resilio Sync Business installations, including those on personal Windows Servers, cannot be updated to v3.

At the end I think with Windows Servers a migration to "Active Everywhere Platform" is needed.

On 8/15/2024 at 5:02 PM, Mouserider said:

For your own devices you can use the license you registered with your own name. Your family members need to register their own license for their devices. 

7 hours ago, jdrch said:

Normally I'd agree, but they might be worried about losing their existing license and being unable to go back to the previous version.

Yes, this is correct, thank you. Also, getting a quick answer is much easier than installing a new Server instance just to test a fresh install of v3. 

7 hours ago, Andy+ said:

So is the best to open a ticket.

In the FAQ I found the follow

Why I cannot update my Resilio Sync Business installation? 
We're committed to providing our business customers with the best possible storage synchronization platform, including our next-generation product, Active Everywhere. More information is available on our website

I use Sync Business on my personal Windows Server. Can I update it to Resilio Sync v3? 
Resilio Sync Business installations, including those on personal Windows Servers, cannot be updated to v3.

At the end I think with Windows Servers a migration to "Active Everywhere Platform" is needed.

Thank you. That answers my question. So this is in effect phasing out the lifetime non commercial use Business licenses. Very disappointing.

Something to note- the Pro license -> non commercial Windows Server thread is still pinned in this forum. If Resilio is phasing out these Pro -> non commercial use Business lifetime licenses, they might want to update that thread indicating reneging on the policy:

11 minutes ago, Romek said:

Is it possible to upgrade v2 Sync Bussines to v3 ? We own 60 licenses.
If not possible, how much for 60 users v3 ?

Resilio Sync Business cannot be upgraded to v3. There's no pricing in Resilio Sync v3 for 60 users. Resilio Sync v3 is only available for personal non-commercial usage.
Check out the "What about Sync Business? part in our blogpost for possible options. 

47 minutes ago, Helen said:

Resilio Sync Business cannot be upgraded to v3. There's no pricing in Resilio Sync v3 for 60 users. Resilio Sync v3 is only available for personal non-commercial usage.
Check out the "What about Sync Business? part in our blogpost for possible options. 

Ok, Business is now Active Everywhere. Any pricing for that, as mentioned 60-70 users?

Thanks

On 8/26/2024 at 4:30 PM, Jeremy said:

Another vote for x64 FreeBSD build. I will stick with 2.8.1 for now, but this makes me very worried about when that will break.

Me too! Been using Sync on FreeNAS now TrueNAS for years! Please, pretty please?