Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

I upgraded to 1.2.68-2 and again had to restart the server. A reason might be that the server runs as a 'openvz container' vm inside proxmox. 

I have another server (sheevaplug) at my parents house and that upgrade went without issues.

Earlier upgrades gave no problems on the openvz container. So something has changed.

I upgraded to 1.2.68-2 and again had to restart the server. A reason might be that the server runs as a 'openvz container' vm inside proxmox. 

I have another server (sheevaplug) at my parents house and that upgrade went without issues.

Earlier upgrades gave no problems on the openvz container. So something has changed.

This is a really interesting information. I will try to explain, what am I doing, so this may be of use in order to debug the problem: Initially, everything was contained in one package (btsync). The package manager normally stops the service before replacing the executables.

When the package was separated in a common part (btsync-common) that contains only the official components from BitTorrent and the application package (either btsync and/or btsync-user) we had the problem, that the executable was replaced while running and after that, the service was restarted (in the "configure" phase of the package). This is normally not a problem in Linux, since internally the file system keeps the old copy (without and link in the directory) until all file descriptors are closed. I suppose that this seems to work quite differently in an OpenVZ environment.

The 1.2.68-2 update was not intended to update the btsync executable itself, but more to prepare the package scripts for the next update (when updating also scripts from the previous package are called). I hope that these changes, will solve the problem when the next update occur. Now the following happens during update of btsync-common:

1. All found services (btsync and/or btsync-user) are stopped (this is done by the old package)
  2. The new version will be installed
  3. All found services (btsync and/or btsync-user) are started (this is done by the new package)

I hope that this will solve the problem with the update. Please let me know, what happens during the next update of btsync-common.

Thank you for your patience!

ok, i'll let you know next upgrade

and advise on my question #325?

Sorry - I forgot to answer: it is totally straightforward. The debug mode of btsync can be enabled as described in the posting from the btsync guys: simply create a text file named debug.txt in the storage_path of the btsync instance you want to enable debug mode. The default instance (the one maintained by debconf) defines its storage_path as /var/lib/btsync

The following command executed from a root shell should enable debug mode for the default instance:

echo FFFF > /var/lib/btsync/debug.txt

Sorry - I forgot to answer: it is totally straightforward. The debug mode of btsync can be enabled as described in the posting from the btsync guys: simply create a text file named debug.txt in the storage_path of the btsync instance you want to enable debug mode. The default instance (the one maintained by debconf) defines its storage_path as /var/lib/btsync

The following command executed from a root shell should enable debug mode for the default instance:

echo FFFF > /var/lib/btsync/debug.txt

I already tried that but there is nothing in the log. I don't use the default instance, and put the debug.txt in the storage path as defined in the config file. Made it all writable for the user but nothing appears in sync.log

OK. Fascinating. I tested it now, and I verified that 1.2.68 does not create any log file in the storage path. That means, that if there is a log file from a previous version, nothing is written there any more...

I have no idea, where the log file/output is now saved.

from the sticky on the forum:

Step 1. Turn on Debug Logging.
Windows and Mac: click on SyncApp icon and select "Enable Debug Logging".
Linux: create file debug.txt with contents of FFFF in the .sync folder. You can find the .sync folder in the same directory where the btsync binary is located.

Should i create a .sync folder in urs/lib/btsync ? And put the debug.txt in the folder.

ok we'll see, i noticed there is a new version1.2.71 as well, maybe it works again in that version

Unfortunately the changelog says nothing about it. I would like to wait a few hours before releasing btsync-common 1.2.71-1 since I want to see, if my change in 1.2.68-2 fixes the problem when updating. In order to achieve this, 1.2.68-2 should reach a certain level of distribution....

Hi tuxpoldo,

First, I want to say thank you very much for giving your time to provide such a great service. The package management system in Linux is great, so to be able to consume btsync via it - awesome!

However, I'm having an issue with the btsync-common library on my installation of raspBMC. Whilst I appreciate that raspbmc is not listed explicitly as an OS you support, raspbmc is simply a slightly slimmer version of raspbian - customised to run the XBMC interface more natively. So, in theory, what runs on raspbian should run on raspbmc. If you don't wish to help me, that's more than OK, as you are already taking on a lot here!

If you want to take a shot, here is the output I'm receiving from both aptitude and apt-get.

Selecting previously unselected package btsync-common.(Reading database ... 43398 files and directories currently installed.)Unpacking btsync-common (from .../btsync-common_1.2.71-1_armhf.deb) ...Selecting previously unselected package btsync.Unpacking btsync (from .../btsync_1.1.82.1-3_armhf.deb) ...Setting up btsync-common (1.2.71-1) .../var/lib/dpkg/info/btsync-common.postinst: 31: /var/lib/dpkg/info/btsync-common.postinst: /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core: not founddpkg: error processing btsync-common (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of btsync: btsync depends on btsync-common; however:  Package btsync-common is not configured yet.dpkg: error processing btsync (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredErrors were encountered while processing: btsync-common btsyncE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:Setting up btsync-common (1.2.71-1) .../var/lib/dpkg/info/btsync-common.postinst: 31: /var/lib/dpkg/info/btsync-common.postinst: /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core: not founddpkg: error processing btsync-common (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of btsync: btsync depends on btsync-common; however:  Package btsync-common is not configured yet.dpkg: error processing btsync (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredErrors were encountered while processing: btsync-common btsync

As you can see by "selecting previously unselected package" - I've tried this a few times, all to no avail. I'm tried purging in between and everything. But no matter what btsync-core seems to remain missing, causing btsync-common to fail.

Thanks in advance for any assistance - greatly appreciated.

Having a major problem here - my btsync server is indexing like crazy! All of my machines re-indexed after 1.2, but apparently my server hasn't stopped indexing since then (it's reading at 10-50 MB/s all the time). It's running Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, and frankly, I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting.

Suggestions?

First, I want to say thank you very much for giving your time to provide such a great service. The package management system in Linux is great, so to be able to consume btsync via it - awesome!

Thanks!

However, I'm having an issue with the btsync-common library on my installation of raspBMC. Whilst I appreciate that raspbmc is not listed explicitly as an OS you support, raspbmc is simply a slightly slimmer version of raspbian - customised to run the XBMC interface more natively. So, in theory, what runs on raspbian should run on raspbmc. If you don't wish to help me, that's more than OK, as you are already taking on a lot here!

As you can see by "selecting previously unselected package" - I've tried this a few times, all to no avail. I'm tried purging in between and everything. But no matter what btsync-core seems to remain missing, causing btsync-common to fail.

Thanks in advance for any assistance - greatly appreciated.

A few days ago, schlegel11 also reported the same problem, but he did not include so much useful information as you did. I tried to reproduce the problem on my Raspberry PI running under Raspian, but I was not able to do so. The Information that you are using RaspBMC may be very useful in order to debug the problem. I will try to create a similar setup on my Raspberry PI in order to reproduce the situation.

This morning I got a possible workaround from schlegel11: He wrote that the following solution solved his problem. Maybe you can test it in the meantime....

(Obviously this command has to be executed as root)

sudo ln -s /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-linux.so.3 /lib/ld-linux.so.3

Having a major problem here - my btsync server is indexing like crazy! All of my machines re-indexed after 1.2, but apparently my server hasn't stopped indexing since then (it's reading at 10-50 MB/s all the time). It's running Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, and frankly, I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting.

Suggestions?

Is this the result of updating a machine that was working fine previously, or are you using a brand new installation?

Suggestions?

i had the same issue after upgrading 1.2.xx on my several server (i386, x64 and rpi)

so i tried some things an i found out when i delete and reintegrate the folders on the maschine via the web-ui without deleting the folders in the filesystem. the system is reindexing in a normal way after reintegrating the folders

Serious change in BitTorrent Sync's logging

Starting from version 1.2, BitTorrent Sync does not produce any log file output when installed with the server (btsync) and the desktop (btsync-user) packages for Debian or Ubuntu.

The developers have confirmed that there was a change in the way BitTorrent Sync handles log output. More information can be found here. We are currently discussing about possible solutions, so stay tuned.

Is this the result of updating a machine that was working fine previously, or are you using a brand new installation?

It was working fine previously. It's the only one of my computers with the btsync server package installed. The rest have btsync-user and are working fine (they did index initially, but finished after a half hour or less).

It was working fine previously. It's the only one of my computers with the btsync server package installed. The rest have btsync-user and are working fine (they did index initially, but finished after a half hour or less).

OK - this seems to happen in some cases. In the forum, you will find several users telling similar stories. In this case I would say, that this is a problem of btsync itself...

OK - this seems to happen in some cases. In the forum, you will find several users telling similar stories. In this case I would say, that this is a problem of btsync itself...

Yup, removing the problematic folders from btsync (but not the machine), then adding them back to btsync fixed it!

What exactly does that command do? I'm not a massive Linux user, but I'm wary of running random commands without knowing what affect it will have / do.

Also, if it helps, I'm running a fresh install of raspbmc installed from the NOOBS SD card that comes with some RPi. It had auto updated to the latest version. So it should be completely updated - and I've since done an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

There was an issue with nfs-common I had to resolve first - let me know if you also encounter it and I'll flick through the command I had to run. (i have a full log of all I've tried)

What exactly does that command do? I'm not a massive Linux user, but I'm wary of running random commands without knowing what affect it will have / do.

The command creates a symbolic link in the directory /lib pointing to a file located elsewhere. That means: instead of accessing the library by calling it /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-linux.so.3, the application can also find it calling /lib/ld-linux.so.3.

On my Raspberry PI running under Raspian, the following symbolic Links exist by default:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -la /lib/ld-linux*lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Feb 23  2013 /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 -> arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-2.13.solrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Dec 15  2012 /lib/ld-linux.so.3 -> /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3

The effect is that if you access /lib/ld-linux.so.3 or /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 you will always redirected to /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-2.13.so

As you can see, this is slightly different as the workaround specified by schlegel11, but the effect is the same: there will be a library named ld-linux.so.3 in /lib

Basically you should find out where the library really is located and what is it's name on your system. Then you will create the symbolic link.

The command creates a symbolic link in the directory /lib pointing to a file located elsewhere. That means: instead of accessing the library by calling it /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-linux.so.3, the application can also find it calling /lib/ld-linux.so.3.

On my Raspberry PI running under Raspian, the following symbolic Links exist by default:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -la /lib/ld-linux*lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Feb 23  2013 /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 -> arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-2.13.solrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Dec 15  2012 /lib/ld-linux.so.3 -> /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3
The effect is that if you access /lib/ld-linux.so.3 or /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 you will always redirected to /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-2.13.so

As you can see, this is slightly different as the workaround specified by schlegel11, but the effect is the same: there will be a library named ld-linux.so.3 in /lib

Basically you should find out where the library really is located and what is it's name on your system. Then you will create the symbolic link.

Running that command given by the other user to create the symbolic link has indeed fixed the issue! Excellent! Now I have a working btsync instance on my media machine. Excellent! Thank you so much!

Is there anything I can do to give back to you for the work you have done here?

Hello!

I'm trying to use BTsync on my Debian Squeeze NAS foolowing the instructions in the firts postm but I got this error... Can anybody help?

Thank you!

Selecting previously deselected package btsync-common.(Reading database ... 22784 files and directories currently installed.)Unpacking btsync-common (from .../btsync-common_1.2.72-1_armel.deb) ...Selecting previously deselected package btsync.Unpacking btsync (from .../btsync_1.1.82.1-3_armel.deb) ...Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...Setting up btsync-common (1.2.72-1) ...dpkg: error processing btsync-common (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of btsync: btsync depends on btsync-common; however:  Package btsync-common is not configured yet.dpkg: error processing btsync (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredconfigured to not write apport reports                                      configured to not write apport reports                                                                            Errors were encountered while processing: btsync-common btsyncE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:Setting up btsync-common (1.2.72-1) ...dpkg: error processing btsync-common (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of btsync: btsync depends on btsync-common; however:  Package btsync-common is not configured yet.dpkg: error processing btsync (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredErrors were encountered while processing: btsync-common btsync

...dpkg: error processing btsync-common (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1...

This seems to be the real problem. Unfortunately there is no output but I think that I have an idea about what is happening... Please be patient. I will release in the next days a new package and we can try if it fixes the problem.

In the meantime, please uninstall everything:

sudo apt-get --yes --purge remove btsync btsync-common
BTW: on my armel squeeze test machine it works...

root@debian:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# lsb_release -aNo LSB modules are available.Distributor ID: DebianDescription: Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 (squeeze)Release: 6.0.7Codename: squeezeroot@debian:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# apt-get install btsyncReading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency treeReading state information... DoneThe following extra packages will be installed:  btsync-commonThe following NEW packages will be installed:  btsync btsync-common0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 34 not upgraded.Need to get 3,527 kB of archives.After this operation, 5,554 kB of additional disk space will be used.Do you want to continue [Y/n]?Get:1 http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync/ squeeze/main btsync-common armel 1.2.72-1 [3,480 kB]Get:2 http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync/ squeeze/main btsync armel 1.1.82.1-3 [46.8 kB]Fetched 3,527 kB in 5s (697 kB/s)Preconfiguring packages ...Selecting previously deselected package btsync-common.(Reading database ... 28094 files and directories currently installed.)Unpacking btsync-common (from .../btsync-common_1.2.72-1_armel.deb) ...Selecting previously deselected package btsync.Unpacking btsync (from .../btsync_1.1.82.1-3_armel.deb) ...Setting up btsync-common (1.2.72-1) ...Setting up btsync (1.1.82.1-3) ...Starting P2P file synchronisation daemon(s)...root@debian:/etc/apt/sources.list.d#
Can you please give me some more details?

In the meantime, please uninstall everything:

BTW: on my armel squeeze test machine it works...

Can you please give me some more details?

Thank you tuxpoldo. I already removed and purged both packages.

I did test the packages on a QEMU Armel machine I use before going to my NAS and it worked without problems.

What more details can I provide?