Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Try this:

Ā 

dpkg -L btsyncsudo ls -la /etc/init.d/b*
btsync:~$ dpkg -L btsync/./etc/etc/init.d/etc/init.d/btsync/etc/btsync/etc/btsync/samples/etc/btsync/samples/user.conf/etc/btsync/samples/simple.conf/etc/default/etc/default/btsync/var/var/lib/var/lib/btsync/usr/usr/share/usr/share/icons/usr/share/icons/hicolor/usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps/usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps/btsync.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/btsync.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/btsync.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/btsync.png/usr/share/btsync/usr/share/doc/usr/share/doc/btsync/usr/share/doc/btsync/README.Debian/usr/share/doc/btsync/CREDITS.md/usr/share/doc/btsync/README.md.gz/usr/share/doc/btsync/copyright/usr/share/doc/btsync/changelog.Debian.gz/usr/lib/usr/lib/btsync/etc/btsync/samples/complex.conf/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon@btsync:~$ sudo ls -la /etc/init.d/b*-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1276 Oct 15  2012 /etc/init.d/bootlogs-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1281 Jul 14  2013 /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh@btsync:~$

btsync:~$ dpkg -L btsync/./etc/etc/init.d/etc/init.d/btsync...

OK - your installation archive is OK

Ā 

...@btsync:~$ sudo ls -la /etc/init.d/b*-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1276 Oct 15  2012 /etc/init.d/bootlogs-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1281 Jul 14  2013 /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh@btsync:~$

But nothing has been installed. I really have no idea what's the problem on your machine. So I have now only two possible suggestions for you:

1. You can try a real hard uninstall and reinstall. But this will kill all your internal status data of btsync (in case there was a previous version installed). If this is OK for you:

Ā 

sudo apt-get --yes --purge remove btsync btsync-commonsudo apt-get --yes --purge autoremovesudo apt-get --yes install btsync
2. If this does not help, or you cannot effort to lose the internal configuration data of btsync, I can offer to analyse the problem together with you by a screen sharing (TeamViewer) or SSH session. You should contact me by E-Mail (leo.moll@yeasoft.com) for details.

Thanks, tuxpoldo. Your last suggestion helped. After purging install completed successfully.

Ā 

One little thing I noticed: you have to re-run dpkg-reconfigure btsync manually after initial configuration to set umask & listening port because.

Ā 

That's correct. Setting the UMASK is considered as an advanced setting. During initial installation, only the most important settings are asked.

Hello,

Ā 

I'm using Linux Mint 13 (= Ubuntu 12.04), and I face the following issue when I update from the PPA or install:

desktop ~ # apt-get --yes install btsyncLecture des listes de paquets... FaitConstruction de l'arbre des dĆ©pendances       Lecture des informations d'Ć©tat... FaitLes paquets supplĆ©mentaires suivants seront installĆ©sĀ :   btsync-commonPaquets suggĆ©rĆ©sĀ :  bind-shimLes NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installĆ©sĀ :  btsync btsync-common0 mis Ć  jour, 2 nouvellement installĆ©s, 0 Ć  enlever et 4 non mis Ć  jour.Il est nĆ©cessaire de prendre 0 o/5.661 ko dans les archives.AprĆØs cette opĆ©ration, 8.570 ko d'espace disque supplĆ©mentaires seront utilisĆ©s.PrĆ©configuration des paquets...SĆ©lection du paquet btsync-common prĆ©cĆ©demment dĆ©sĆ©lectionnĆ©.(Lecture de la base de donnĆ©es... 371701 fichiers et rĆ©pertoires dĆ©jĆ  installĆ©s.)DĆ©paquetage de btsync-common (Ć  partir de .../btsync-common_1.4.72-1_amd64.deb) ...SĆ©lection du paquet btsync prĆ©cĆ©demment dĆ©sĆ©lectionnĆ©.DĆ©paquetage de btsync (Ć  partir de .../btsync_1.4.0-1_all.deb) ...Traitement des actions diffĆ©rĆ©es (Ā«Ā triggersĀ Ā») pour Ā«Ā hicolor-icon-themeĀ Ā»...Traitement des actions diffĆ©rĆ©es (Ā«Ā triggersĀ Ā») pour Ā«Ā ureadaheadĀ Ā»...ParamĆ©trage de btsync-common (1.4.72-1) ...ParamĆ©trage de btsync (1.4.0-1) ...dpkgĀ : erreur de traitement de btsync (--configure)Ā : le sous-processus script post-installation installĆ© a retournĆ© une erreur de sortie d'Ć©tat 1Des erreurs ont Ć©tĆ© rencontrĆ©es pendant l'exĆ©cutionĀ : btsyncE: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Sorry, it is in French, but it just says that dpkg returned and error while treating btsync. I tried to purge everything and reinstall from scratch, same issue.

Ā 

dpkg log is not more verbose (/var/log/dpkg.log):

2014-09-02 19:48:45 configure btsync-common 1.4.72-1 <aucun>2014-09-02 19:48:45 status unpacked btsync-common 1.4.72-12014-09-02 19:48:45 status half-configured btsync-common 1.4.72-12014-09-02 19:48:45 status installed btsync-common 1.4.72-12014-09-02 19:48:45 configure btsync 1.4.0-1 <aucun>2014-09-02 19:48:45 status unpacked btsync 1.4.0-12014-09-02 19:48:45 status unpacked btsync 1.4.0-12014-09-02 19:48:45 status unpacked btsync 1.4.0-12014-09-02 19:48:45 status unpacked btsync 1.4.0-12014-09-02 19:48:45 status unpacked btsync 1.4.0-12014-09-02 19:48:45 status half-configured btsync 1.4.0-1

dpkg-reconfigure does not work:

desktop ~ # dpkg-reconfigure btsync/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: btsync est cassƩ ou partiellement installƩ

It says that btsync is broken or partially installed.

Ā 

Ā 

However, btsync works fine, it is accessible without any issue, the synchronization works perfectly.

Edited by Rizzo96

Hello,

Ā 

I'm using Linux Mint 13 (= Ubuntu 12.04), and I face the following issue when I update from the PPA or install:

dpkg-reconfigure does not work:

desktop ~ # dpkg-reconfigure btsync/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: btsync est cassƩ ou partiellement installƩ
It says that btsync is broken or partially installed.

Ā 

Ā 

However, btsync works fine, it is accessible without any issue, the synchronization works perfectly.

This error has already been reported and fixed. See this forum post.

Ā 

Unfortunately the PPA builds are still not available, since Launchpad seems to be really busy and it will probably take a lot of time before the updates are available.

Ā 

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE PPA IF POSSIBLE. IT HAPPENS MORE AND MORE OFTEN THAT IT TAKES HOURS/DAYS FOR UPDATES TO BE PUBLISHED THERE.

Ā 

PLEASE USE THE YEASOFT REPOSITORY SINCE THIS IS THE MAIN REPOSITORY AND UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY AFTER RELEASE. SEE THE INITIAL POSTING FOR DETAILS.

This error has already been reported and fixed. See this forum post.

Ā 

Unfortunately the PPA builds are still not available, since Launchpad seems to be really busy and it will probably take a lot of time before the updates are available.

Ā 

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE PPA IF POSSIBLE. IT HAPPENS MORE AND MORE OFTEN THAT IT TAKES HOURS/DAYS FOR UPDATES TO BE PUBLISHED THERE.

Ā 

PLEASE USE THE YEASOFT REPOSITORY SINCE THIS IS THE MAIN REPOSITORY AND UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY AFTER RELEASE. SEE THE INITIAL POSTING FOR DETAILS.

Ā 

Indeed, I thought the PPA was already up-to-date. Anyway, a complete purge was necessary to get the installation working; an apt-get update was failing with the same error.

Anyone else getting this error message on upgrading toĀ 1.4.72-1?:

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  symbol lookup error: ./btsync-core: undefined symbol: _ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE
Ā 
Also:
Ā 
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Autostarting btsync instance 'debconf-default':Failed to start btsync instance debconf-default - please check the configuration file /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf failed!
Ā 
I have two AMD64 servers in sync, one of them is a Wheezy which upgraded fine. The other is a Lenny that's got the above problems.
Ā 
Am using these sources:
Ā 
Ā 
Anyone else got similar problems? Anyone found a solution?
Ā 
I've purged the software multiple times but still not getting anywhere.
Ā 
I did see someone mentioning something similar here:Ā http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/31437-btsync-1475-i386-crash-on-readynas-pro/ - but they don't seem to have been answered.
Ā 
Thanks,
Ā 
Alex

I'm afraid that the toolchain of Debian "lenny" is too old (SeeĀ http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-02/msg00239.html) and does not provide the required function. Sorry - no chance.

Ā 

Since there is a lot of people really angry about 1.4, I'm seriously thinking about providing a repository with the latest 1.3 based packages (there is an info, that 1.3.109 is fully compatible with the 1.4 protocol...) .....

hi tuxpoldo!

Ā 

thank you for this wonderfully easy to use package! I've installed it on two vservers running debian wheezy and a raspbian system. the raspberry shows the updated web-ui whereas the two vservers show the old one. oddly enough all three systems gave me the new options to configure advanced settings after install.. do you have any idea why this is happening?Ā 

Ā 

Okay, I fixed it by removing btsync and btsync-common, a reboot and reinstalling it again. Thanks anyway! :)

Edited by s1ckb0y

hi tuxpoldo!

Ā 

thank you for this wonderfully easy to use package! I've installed it on two vservers running debian wheezy and a raspbian system. the raspberry shows the updated web-ui whereas the two vservers show the old one. oddly enough all three systems gave me the new options to configure advanced settings after install.. do you have any idea why this is happening?Ā 

Ā 

I noticed that under certain circumstances the daemon does not really stop (on update/reconfiguration). Can you please restart/reboot the affected machines? As an alternative you can try to kill the daemon(s) manually and then restart them:

sudo pkill btsync-daemonsudo service btsync restart

I'm investigating the issue... See Issue #149

Edited by tuxpoldo

Yeah, this seems to be the problem..

Ā 

Maybe this has been asked and answered before ā€“ SSL for web UI doesn't seem to work. The web pages doesn't load. Any ideas? Thank you!

Ā 

Edit: It does work with chrome.. only safari seems to malfunction. (OS X)

Ā 

I am too fast... Never mind!

Edited by s1ckb0y

Yeah, this seems to be the problem..

Ā 

Maybe this has been asked and answered before ā€“ SSL for web UI doesn't seem to work. The web pages doesn't load. Any ideas? Thank you!

Ā 

I tested it here on different platforms (btsync 1.4.72 installed with my btsync package) on several platforms (amd64,i386 both Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04 and Debian 7) and different browsers (Google Chrome on Mac OSX, Google Chrome on Debian) and it worked for me with the automatically created self signed certificate... Perhaps your browser is blocking it?

I tested it here on different platforms (btsync 1.4.72 installed with my btsync package) on several platforms (amd64,i386 both Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04 and Debian 7) and different browsers (Google Chrome on Mac OSX, Google Chrome on Debian) and it worked for me with the automatically created self signed certificate... Perhaps your browser is blocking it?

Ā 

Yes, could be the case. I've disabled adblock and Ghostery and it seems to work alright.Ā 

Ghostery is also installed on my browser, but it does not block it. I suppose that adblock is the problem... Maybe you can put the Web UI on the whitelist (in case adblock supports whitelists)?

Ā 

It does and I whitelisted those sites. Now everything works beautifully and I even don't have endless syncs because of the resource forks of os x. Thank you very much for your kind support. I am really happy right now :)

I'm afraid that the toolchain of Debian "lenny" is too old (SeeĀ http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-02/msg00239.html) and does not provide the required function. Sorry - no chance.

Ā 

Since there is a lot of people really angry about 1.4, I'm seriously thinking about providing a repository with the latest 1.3 based packages (there is an info, that 1.3.109 is fully compatible with the 1.4 protocol...) .....

Ā 

Yes please Tuxpolodo, a 1.3 repository would be great.

Ā 

I installed BTSync via these repositories on Saturday so I've had 4 days of falling head-over-heels in love with how simple it makes keeping a bunch of servers in sync.

Ā 

:)

I'm having a problem on two Ubuntu 14.04 boxes after the latest btsync update:

Ā 

hostname$ btsync start
hostname$ BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 8506. default port = 8888
WARNING:root:Communication Error caught, displaying error message
WARNING:root:Communication Error caught, displaying error message
Ā 
I also have an exclamation mark in the btsync icon and and error message: Communication Error 400.
Ā 
Is this a known issue?

I was able to fix it by removing btsync* and reinstalling it from the yeasoft PPA.

Yes please Tuxpolodo, a 1.3 repository would be great.

Ā 

I installed BTSync via these repositories on Saturday so I've had 4 days of falling head-over-heels in love with how simple it makes keeping a bunch of servers in sync.

Ā 

:)

Ā 

OK - Here it comes. Execute the following commands:

`which sudo` apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 6BF18B15echo deb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync13 experimental main > ~/btsync.listecho deb-src http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync13 experimental main >> ~/btsync.list`which sudo` mv ~/btsync.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list`which sudo` chown root:root /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list`which sudo` apt-get update

Please keep in mind, that the internal database of 1.4 is not compatible with 1.3. If you want to revert, you have to start from scratch. uninstall 1.4, remove all internal databases (like the one in /var/lib/btsync) and reinstall everything with the new repository.

Ā 

I discovered the build yesterday. But there are still some unclear facts like the reappearance of the GEODE build and some rumours in the forum that the Linux version of 1.4.75 crashes frequently. I will at least try to test it a few days before releasing.

Oh i didn't saw these issues on the forum.

Ā 

What do you think about the idea of a testing-repo, then I (and others too) could test it too.

I doesn't care if it crashes, because I don't got important things there, but if something happens, I could tell you.

Ā 

Whats a GEODE build?

Oh i didn't saw these issues on the forum.

Ā 

What do you think about the idea of a testing-repo, then I (and others too) could test it too.

I doesn't care if it crashes, because I don't got important things there, but if something happens, I could tell you.

Ā 

Whats a GEODE build?

Ā 

There is already such a testing repo. You can edit the fileĀ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yeasoft.list and change the contents to:

deb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync experimental maindeb-src http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync experimental main

Generally I will publish my testing versions here before publishing them in the regular repositories.

Ā 

The AMD GEODE is a low power, Pentium compatible CPU used in embedded Boards like the PCengines Alix Boards. The architecture is i386 and you can generally install any i386 Linux flavour (only the kernel or drivers should not rely on things like the i686 instruction set, PAE or other modern stuff). All Linux i386 versions of btsync up to 1.3.109 did crash on GEODE processors since they were explicitly compiled for i686 CPUs. That's the reason the developers provided also a GEODE version.

Ā 

With 1.4.72 there was no GEODE version, but I noticed that the i386 version is now running also on GEODE. But after the publication of versioned links for 1.4.75, I discovered also a GEODE version. This makes things complicated.