Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Tuxpoldo thanks for this! I've a question: I've downloaded (and I'm using) the latest official release of BTSync from get sync websit. If I switch to your build, do I have to re-configure the identities and shared folders?

Do not do this now. The packages are still on 1.4.111 - if you have installed the latest official release you are on 2.0.83

Hi,

a lame question, but what should I do to properly uninstall btsync completely from my debian server (installed with your packages)? I am switching to Syncthing and want to get rid of BTSync completely, but not delete the folders it was syncing.

Ā 

Will this suffice? Or is there anything else that needs to be done, to remove BTSync completely?

sudo apt-get --yes --purge remove btsync

Hi Folks,
Ā 

LAST WARNING - LAST WARNING - LAST WARNING - LAST WARNING

Ā 

I will update the btsync package in a few hours from now to version 2. This is your last chance to switch the repository in order to keep your installation on version 1.4. Beware: there is no easy way back. There are some implications due to the new functionality of Version 2.0: since version 2.0 has an automatic synchronisation of shared folders in a 2.0 identity, the directory_root parameter in the configuration file must point to writable directory, if you link your instance to another already configured 2.0 device.

Ā 

If you are operating a default instance maintained by debconf, directory_root is automatically set to the home directory of the user you selected as the user Ā the instance is running. If the default user (btsync) or a user with a UID < 1000 was selected, /mnt is taken asĀ directory_root and the owner of /mnt will be changed to the user. Obviously you can change theĀ directory_root at any time via dpkg-reconfigure btsync.

Ā 

If you have self maintained configuration files, you should make sure a directory_root is specified, if you wish to link the instance to another device.

Ā 

Stay tuned.

Hi Folks,

Ā 

LAST WARNING - LAST WARNING - LAST WARNING - LAST WARNING

Ā 

I will update the btsync package in a few hours from now to version 2. This is your last chance to switch the repository in order to keep your installation on version 1.4. Beware: there is no easy way back. There are some implications due to the new functionality of Version 2.0: since version 2.0 has an automatic synchronisation of shared folders in a 2.0 identity, the directory_root parameter in the configuration file must point to writable directory, if you link your instance to another already configured 2.0 device.

Ā 

If you are operating a default instance maintained by debconf, directory_root is automatically set to the home directory of the user you selected as the user Ā the instance is running. If the default user (btsync) or a user with a UID < 1000 was selected, /mnt is taken asĀ directory_root and the owner of /mnt will be changed to the user. Obviously you can change theĀ directory_root at any time via dpkg-reconfigure btsync.

Ā 

If you have self maintained configuration files, you should make sure a directory_root is specified, if you wish to link the instance to another device.

Ā 

Stay tuned.

Ā 

Maybe you should put th information about the 2nd repo in the OP that way it's easier for people to locate :) Just a suggestion.

Just update the YeaSoft Repo. Because of an incompatibility between the new BitTorrent Sync executable and the Desktop GUI, I decided to distribute the new BitTorrent Sync executable in a new package "btsync-core". This makes it possible to update the BitTorrent Sync Server Package installations without compromising the BitTorrent Sync Desktop GUI Package installations (they will be updated later on, as soon as I have fixed the GUI).

Ā 

Unfortunately Ubuntu rewards changed package dependencies with

Ā 

yeasoft-gate2 ~ # apt-get upgradeReading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency treeReading state information... DoneThe following packages have been kept back:Ā  btsync0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Ā 

This is quite annoying but there are two ways to circumvent it:

apt-get install btsync-core btsync

Ā 

or:

apt-get dist-upgrade

Ā 

The second way may be dangerous, since it may install also other unwanted stuff... Do it only if you know what you are doing.

Thanks! Going to try now...

Worked! I went with this option from the OP on a fresh Ubuntu VPS:

Ā 

Ā 

The most easy and fast way to install the repositoryĀ with latest stuffĀ is to paste that at a terminal prompt:

sh -c "$(curl -fsSL http://debian.yeasoft.net/add-btsync-repository.sh)"

Ā 

Now update the package index and installĀ btsyncĀ by pasting that at a terminal prompt:

`which sudo` apt-get update
`which sudo` apt-get install btsync

Ā 

I got the new version running on my Debian box, but the new version seems rather insistent that it doesn't have permission to write to many folders it does have permission to. The folder I am trying to re-add was the one I used with the previous version prior to upgrading.Ā 

Ā 

Edit: I did an uninstall and cleanup of btsync for fun, and the issue is still occurring. I double checked that the user running btsync is the owner and a member of the group that owns the folders and files.

Edited by teh_g

I got the new version running on my Debian box, but the new version seems rather insistent that it doesn't have permission to write to many folders it does have permission to. The folder I am trying to re-add was the one I used with the previous version prior to upgrading.Ā 

Ā 

Edit: I did an uninstall and cleanup of btsync for fun, and the issue is still occurring. I double checked that the user running btsync is the owner and a member of the group that owns the folders and files.

Ā 

Having fun with this one, looks like it is an issue with Debian and the current build of BTSync. Potentially related to this issue:Ā http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/34404-synology-nas-isnt-working/

Ā 

Adding a "1.4" folder by holding shift lets me add the folder as expected.

I just installed it where it wasn't installed before with

apt-get install btsync

But the web-ui shows me 1.4.111!

dpkg-reconfigure btsync

didn't help. I noticed that there are two btsyncs:

box:~$ /usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --helpBitTorrent Sync 1.4.111box:~$ /usr/lib/btsync-core/btsync-core --helpBitTorrent Sync 2.0.85

How to tell that the latter should be automatically started?

I hacked /etc/init.d/btsync, that did the trick.

Ā 

Wrong. THis may prevent future updates to work properly. I suppose that the btsync package on your side is still not up to date. Please check that the btsync package has the version 2.0.0-1 with the following command:

dpkg -l btsync

Which repository are you using?

box:$ dpkg -l btsyncGewĆ¼nscht=Unbekannt/Installieren/R=Entfernen/P=VollstƤndig Lƶschen/Halten| Status=Nicht/Installiert/Config/U=Entpackt/halb konFiguriert/Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Halb installiert/Trigger erWartet/Trigger anhƤngig|/ Fehler?=(kein)/R=Neuinstallation notwendig (Status, Fehler: GROSS=schlecht)||/ Name Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Version Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Architektur Ā  Ā Beschreibung+++-==================-==============-==============-==========================================ii Ā btsync Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  1.4.1-1 Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā all Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Private network P2P file synchronisation d

I added the PPA and ran sudo apg-get install...that's all.

Just ran an apt-get update & upgrade, it seems to update to 2.0, sorry for inconvenience.

I'm having difficulties with the latest version... when trying to start the daemon, I get an error:

Failed to start btsync instance root - please check the configuration file /etc/btsync/root.conf

So I looked here and found I need to add the directory_root setting... having done that, I'm still getting the same error - can you tell me what is wrong with my config file? Ā (This is a minimal version I'm trying just to get it to work, then I can add everything back!)

//!/usr/lib/btsync-core/btsync-core --config

//

// DAEMON_UID=root

// DAEMON_GID=root

// DAEMON_NICE=19

{

"device_name" : "server",

"storage_path" : "/root/BTSync",

"pid_file" : "/root/BTSync/btsync.pid",

"webui" :

{

"listen" : "0.0.0.0:port",

"login" : "user",

"password" : "pass"

},

"directory_root" : "/root/BTSync/Shares/",

"directory_root_policy" : "all"

}

Ā 

^^ I've no idea why this isn't working in the codebox thingy!

Ā 

The various referenced directories do exist and are writable by user&group.

Ā 

Thanks!

First things first, Thanks for the project, it's awesome and keeps my computers organized and updated.

Ā 

In one of my computers I'm having problems to install btsync this is the apt-get output

Ā 

I've search in google and I couldn't find a solution, maybe it's so simple that the answer isn't there. Can you help me?

Ā 

I'm using ubuntu 14.04

Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree Ā  Ā  Ā Ā Reading state information... DoneThe following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:Ā  libqrencode3 python-qrencodeUse 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.Suggested packages:Ā  bind-shimThe following NEW packages will be installed:Ā  btsync0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.1 not fully installed or removed.Need to get 103 kB of archives.After this operation, 348 kB of additional disk space will be used.Get:1 http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync/ trusty/main btsync all 2.0.0-1 [103 kB]Fetched 103 kB in 2s (50,6 kB/s)Ā Preconfiguring packages .../tmp/btsync.config.sjCrrQ: 148: /tmp/btsync.config.sjCrrQ: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: ""btsync failed to preconfigure, with exit status 2(Reading database ... 218342 files and directories currently installed.)Preparing to unpack .../btsync_2.0.0-1_all.deb .../var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/config: 148: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/config: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: ""dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/btsync_2.0.0-1_all.deb (--unpack):Ā subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 2E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Edited by mativs

I'm having difficulties with the latest version... when trying to start the daemon, I get an error:

^^ I've no idea why this isn't working in the codebox thingy!

The various referenced directories do exist and are writable by user&group.

According the documentation, the directory_root (and probably also the directory_root_policy statement) must be placed into the webui section.

Ā 

First things first, Thanks for the project, it's awesome and keeps my computers organized and updated.

Ā 

In one of my computers I'm having problems to install btsync this is the apt-get output

Ā 

I've search in google and I couldn't find a solution, maybe it's so simple that the answer isn't there. Can you help me?

Ā 

I'm using ubuntu 14.04

Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree Ā  Ā  Ā Ā Reading state information... DoneThe following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:Ā  libqrencode3 python-qrencodeUse 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.Suggested packages:Ā  bind-shimThe following NEW packages will be installed:Ā  btsync0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.1 not fully installed or removed.Need to get 103 kB of archives.After this operation, 348 kB of additional disk space will be used.Get:1 http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync/ trusty/main btsync all 2.0.0-1 [103 kB]Fetched 103 kB in 2s (50,6 kB/s)Ā Preconfiguring packages .../tmp/btsync.config.sjCrrQ: 148: /tmp/btsync.config.sjCrrQ: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: ""btsync failed to preconfigure, with exit status 2(Reading database ... 218342 files and directories currently installed.)Preparing to unpack .../btsync_2.0.0-1_all.deb .../var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/config: 148: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/config: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: ""dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/btsync_2.0.0-1_all.deb (--unpack):Ā subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 2E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

OK! I was able to reproduce it... Stay tuned!

According the documentation, the directory_root (and probably also the directory_root_policy statement) must be placed into the webui section.

Ā 

Many thanks, that seems to be the case. Ā I also found that lan_use_tcp causes it to fail (whereas I guess it just complained with 1.4, but I didn't notice! -Ā https://github.com/tuxpoldo/btsync-deb/issues/143)