Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Hi Noiime,

The file in /usr/lib/btsync is just a symbolic link to the file in /usr/lib/btsync-core.

root@timbuktu /usr/lib/btsync # ls -alh
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Mar 22 14:17 .
drwxr-xr-x 54 root root 4.0K May 18 12:41 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   26 Mar 16 16:02 btsync-daemon -> ../btsync-core/btsync-core

So, it's probably more sensible to change the file in /usr/lib/btsync-core instead.

Cheers,
Chris.

@chrisvdb

You are right, I didn't do my homework correctly. :unsure:

Still, it was functioning the way I've done it but the right way should have been like you said.

Instead of replacing "/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon" I should have replaced "/usr/lib/btsync-core/btsync-core"

Thanks for pin pointed me my error :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

For a completely new installation, I want my Linux system to boot, and btsync to run, off a fast 64Gb USB3 flash drive in my USB3 port, while the data is stored on a 2TB spinning disk in my computer (Intel NUC Celeron processor). What is the best way to set this up, given that everything is starting from scratch?

I have done the first part: install Debian Jessie 8.1 and btsync (using the Yeasoft repository version, now at v2). I set up my credentials within the web interface, and everything started working OK, but with the '/mnt' as the default folder location, which will be on the boot drive, of course. The flash drive is not nearly big enough to hold all my files, so I paused the installation.

I tried to reset the 'default folder location' both in the debconf set up and in the web UI, but nothing worked, possibly because I don't know how to write the path to the internal drive for Linux. I feel like I am close, can anyone help?

• 1 month later...

@tuxpoldo: any chance that you update the PPA with the latest version from btsync? I tried manually to overwrite the btsync-core with the latest version on my Debian box, but it didn't work (I get a configuration file error...). We really need to have btsync up and running, and I don't want to switch to a NAS.

This is the error:

root@neo:/tmp/btsync_daemon# service btsync start[....] Autostarting btsync instance 'debconf-default':[....] Failed to start btsync instance debconf-def[FAIL- please check the configuration file /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf ... failed!

What do you think?

Bernhard

@noiime

I tried your workaround with v2.1.3 but it failed: after starting btsync again, I get a configuration file error... Do you know where one can get previous builds of btsync for linux?

Thanks

Bernhard

@tuxpoldo: any chance that you update the PPA with the latest version from btsync? I tried manually to overwrite the btsync-core with the latest version on my Debian box, but it didn't work (I get a configuration file error...). We really need to have btsync up and running, and I don't want to switch to a NAS.

tuxpoldo has not been seen on this forum for about half a year, so i guess it is safe to assume he has moved on and probably won't return here unfortunately.

@noiime

I tried your workaround with v2.1.3 but it failed: after starting btsync again, I get a configuration file error... Do you know where one can get previous builds of btsync for linux?

For me the workaround works fine

First of all please think about that Tuxpoldo did that for the community and within his free time. He does not have any commercial connection to Bittorrent. So i'm very thankfull to use his repo as i started with BTsync. Of course it would be nice to have the latest update but on the other hand i don't expect Tuxpoldo to update it frequently if i consider the background if his work.

On the other hand i'm asking me why Bittorrent does not do that job and release an official repo? They should be interested in it to support the community and taking care that everybody can update his BTsync on time.

So why not asking Bittorrent to create an repo to support us?

First of all please think about that Tuxpoldo did that for the community and within his free time. He does not have any commercial connection to Bittorrent. So i'm very thankfull to use his repo as i started with BTsync. Of course it would be nice to have the latest update but on the other hand i don't expect Tuxpoldo to update it frequently if i consider the background if his work.

On the other hand i'm asking me why Bittorrent does not do that job and release an official repo? They should be interested in it to support the community and taking care that everybody can update his BTsync on time.

So why not asking Bittorrent to create an repo to support us?

I agree on this. Tuxpoldo has been very helpful and dedicated. But we can't expect him to continue this forever. He might not even use BTsync himself anymore.

Bittorrent should step in and takeover if tuxpoldo agrees with that.

The topics most read on this forum are probably the instructions on how to use tuxpoldo's repo!

Completely agree with this... I know that Bittorrent has partnerships with NAS-manufactures, and that there are actually supported btsync-builds, but we don't want to buy a NAS-system in order to create our own cloud. Therefore an offical btsync-daemon for Linux would be a great thing from BitTorrent. 

@noiime.. yeah it might be an ownership issue... I will try it once again. Thanks a lot for your input and help.

It seems that the instance 'debconf-default' could not be loaded. btsync as a daemon seems to run with version 2.1.3, but not the instance of it. Why could that be?

root@something:/etc/btsync# /etc/init.d/btsync status● btsync.service - LSB: btsync Service   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/btsync)   Active: active (exited) since Sun 2015-08-23 11:20:14 CEST; 7s ago  Process: 22078 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/btsync start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)Aug 23 11:20:14 something btsync[22078]: Autostarting btsync instance 'debconf-default':Failed to start btsync instance debconf-default - ... failed!Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... I have found the error. But it's rather strange. My system tells me that I have a x64 architecture:

uname -m 

x86_64

So I always downloaded the 64bit binaries. it never worked. Out of curiosity I tried the i386 binaries: it worked! So I don't know who is to blame here: my uname or the repository at BitTorrent...

• 2 weeks later...

I found a workaround!

*** NEVER MIND, this is not working after a reboot and frankly, I don't know why it was working at first!?

Edit the config file /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf and remove  "folder_defaults.use_dht" : false,

After that you need to bypass btsync-deamon at the start-up so edit /etc/init.d/btsync and replace DAEMON=/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon by DAEMON=/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-core/btsync-core

sudo service btsync start

Voilà, btsync 2.2 is now running

** I'm not sure exactly what it implies to bypass the btsync-deamon but at the moment, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't seems to generate any issues...

Note that if you make a change using "dpkg-reconfigure btsync" you will have to edit the config file again.

Like I said, this is just a workaround it's not a fix :unsure:

It work if you start it manually ie: /usr/lib/btsync-core/btsync-core --config /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf

But I can't seems to find out what in the init script is causing the issue

Edited by noiime

@knireis

Not at the moment. Although, after the update simple binary replacement should work.

I have about 6 systems with btsync to maintain, so although it might be simple to replace the binary it is still al lot of work to each time there is a new version. 

An up to date repo would be appreciated a lot.