Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

OK - Here it comes. Execute the following commands:

`which sudo` apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 6BF18B15echo deb http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync13 stable main > ~/btsync.listecho deb-src http://debian.yeasoft.net/btsync13 stable main >> ~/btsync.list`which sudo` mv ~/btsync.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list`which sudo` chown root:root /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.list`which sudo` apt-get update

Please keep in mind, that the internal database of 1.4 is not compatible with 1.3. If you want to revert, you have to start from scratch. uninstall 1.4, remove all internal databases (like the one in /var/lib/btsync) and reinstall everything with the new repository.

Thanks Tuxpoldo! Working perfectly :)

New version! Enjoy!

btsync (1.4.0-3) unstable; urgency=low  * Added debconf support for new advanced settings (Closes #150)    - folder_defaults.known_hosts    - peer_expiration_days    - directory_root  * Fixed broken Simplified Chinese translation (Closes #152)  * Fixed and improved service stop behaviour (Closes #149) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Tue, 04 Sep 2014 22:58:10 +0200

Thanks for your work! Why doesn't it allow to input hostnames?

The reason stays in the official documentation: "Default setting for folder preference "Use predefined hosts". Hosts should be entered as single line of IP:port pairs comma-separated (no other delimiters allowed)."

It is true, that BitTorrent Sync accepts anything in the string and continues working. But I suppose that BitTorrent Sync ignores anything it does not understand. I asked the support, if hostnames work as expected (that means: BitTorrent Sync has to periodically resolve them via DNS since the IP address could have changed).

Let's wait for the answer.

UPDATE: I got an answer from Roman:

It should accept DNS names as well. We request DNS names for predefined hosts once per minute, so DynDNS should work fine. I'll update documentation.

I will remove the number filter in the next release. See Issue #156

Edited by tuxpoldo

New version! Enjoy!

btsync (1.4.0-4) unstable; urgency=high  * Fixed folder_defaults.known_hosts filter (Closes #156) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Fri, 05 Sep 2014 14:56:23 +0200

Thank you.

My question is:

What is the best way to update to 1.4.0-4 on Debian Wheezy?

I'm already on the latest 1.3.x but I want to upgrade. Not sure what is the best way...

Hi, I followed the guide:

http://www.yeasoft.com/site/projects:btsync-deb:btsync-server

And installed rasbian, used SSH to install btsync successfully on a Raspberry Pi. When I go to the webui: raspberrypi:port, I first receive a Firefox warning about the certificate, thats OK, but after adding an exception, it is loading and waiting forever. Nothing really loads. I do see the url changed to ipaddress:portnumber/gui but nothing else.

SSH works fine, but when I use Cyberduck to SFTP into my raspberry it also just loads forever. It seems something is not configured yet but I don't know what.

I logged into my router, assigned an IP address to the raspberry and even opened the port for the webui in my router. I rebooted the RPi after doing this and I can still SSH into the RPI using the new IP address.

No idea in what direction to look for the issue now.

I'll disable the firewall in the router, still have the issue. No firewall installed on the pc.

SFTP is fixed: I used rasbian config to change hostname, but the hosts file was not updated, only hostname file. Thats fixed now.

Somehow I do see the BTSync user creation page in an old tab that I tested, but it doesn't work anymore.

Decided to try the same on my phone and I could access the webui! just not on my laptop :(

edit: I completely cleared cache and everything of Firefox and Chrome and I got the login page, after logging in, still have the forever waiting issue. Will now reboot everything: router, raspberry, laptop and try again.

another question: I get the possibility to create instances. But how to 'users' relate to instances? Can 1 instance have multiple users? Can each user have its own folder?

Somehow I do see the BTSync user creation page in an old tab that I tested, but it doesn't work anymore.

Decided to try the same on my phone and I could access the webui! just not on my laptop :(

edit: I completely cleared cache and everything of Firefox and Chrome and I got the login page, after logging in, still have the forever waiting issue. Will now reboot everything: router, raspberry, laptop and try again.

another question: I get the possibility to create instances. But how to 'users' relate to instances? Can 1 instance have multiple users? Can each user have its own folder?

Question: was it an update or a brand new installation?

Instances: An instance is a running BitTorrent Sync process. Since BitTorrent Sync is not designed as a multiuser application, the process runs under exactly the credentials of one single user. The default instance is maintained by Debconf and you can select during the installation under which Linux users it should run.

If you want to run multiple instances, you have to manually maintain configuration files for every instance. Every Instance can be bound to specific Linux users.

Just discovered my router is actually connected to another router, not directly to the internet. Im in a shared office here.

I added the Raspberry to the DMZ of my router and it works flawlessly now.

Question: was it an update or a brand new installation?

Instances: An instance is a running BitTorrent Sync process. Since BitTorrent Sync is not designed as a multiuser application, the process runs under exactly the credentials of one single user. The default instance is maintained by Debconf and you can select during the installation under which Linux users it should run.

If you want to run multiple instances, you have to manually maintain configuration files for every instance. Every Instance can be bound to specific Linux users.

Thanks for explaining. Since I had to create a user in the webui to continue, I just wondered why that was, seems like you could log out and log in as another user. I didn't mean linux users actually.

Hi, I followed the guide:

http://www.yeasoft.com/site/projects:btsync-deb:btsync-server

And installed rasbian, used SSH to install btsync successfully on a Raspberry Pi. When I go to the webui: raspberrypi:port, I first receive a Firefox warning about the certificate, thats OK, but after adding an exception, it is loading and waiting forever. Nothing really loads. I do see the url changed to ipaddress:portnumber/gui but nothing else.

SSH works fine, but when I use Cyberduck to SFTP into my raspberry it also just loads forever. It seems something is not configured yet but I don't know what.

I logged into my router, assigned an IP address to the raspberry and even opened the port for the webui in my router. I rebooted the RPi after doing this and I can still SSH into the RPI using the new IP address.

No idea in what direction to look for the issue now.

Hi tuxpoldo! Been a while since I've been here... have been loving your btsync package.

Having the same issue as the user above... when SSL is enabled for the WebUI, the connection never seems to complete (after accepting the self-signed cert). Just keeps 'loading'. Turning off SSL using dpkg-reconfigure gets it working again, but ultimately I'd like to use SSL.

I'm (also) using a raspberry pi, running raspbmc (or soon to be known as OSMC).

@WebAsh

Forever loading is most likely a firewall issue. Especially if non SSL is working and SSL isn't. Maybe port 443 is blocked or something like that. 

Anyway adding your raspberry (temporary) to DMZ would at least point out if it's a firewall configuration issue or something else.

I think the main reason for creating a user is to password protect the webinterface. It looks like this is done via .htaccess file which works with a username : password combination. 

Multiuser support could be achieved with instances only as far as I know.

@WebAsh

Forever loading is most likely a firewall issue. Especially if non SSL is working and SSL isn't. Maybe port 443 is blocked or something like that. 

Anyway adding your raspberry (temporary) to DMZ would at least point out if it's a firewall configuration issue or something else.

No, this isn't the case. It does it for me even when I am on the same network as the Raspberry Pi. Additionally, the custom port of 8888 is remaining, so HTTPS/SSL is operating via this port - nothing to do with Port 443.

I've now seen this issue on three completely different Raspberry Pi units - two running RaspBMC/OSMC and the third running Raspbian.

No, this isn't the case. It does it for me even when I am on the same network as the Raspberry Pi. Additionally, the custom port of 8888 is remaining, so HTTPS/SSL is operating via this port - nothing to do with Port 443.

I've now seen this issue on three completely different Raspberry Pi units - two running RaspBMC/OSMC and the third running Raspbian.

I can confirm this. HTTPS is not working, also when i trust the self signed certificate on the client. Keeps loading...

HTTP works well.