I am missing one thing especially over slow internet connections:

Optional Basic file compression (e.g. gzip) before sending out any data

Why do we need that?

Well, create sample file under Windows OS, open CMD as admin and type:

cd "C:\your\BTSync\directory"fsutil file createnew 10mb 10000000

This commands creates an empty file with a length of 10000000 bytes equal to 10MB but the content are just zeros.

If zipping this file with just basic compression it goes down to just about 12 KB in total size.

BUT When BTSync transfers it the full 10 MB are send out.

If compression is implemented it will speed up on slow internet connections when transferring files dramatically, especially if they have a high compression ratio.

This should not be too difficult to implement and saves bandwidth which comes also very handy when we are thinking about mobile devices with limited data plans.

I think this feature should be allowed to be enabled or disable in the options depending on the requirements of users, because it might lead to slightly higher CPU load. An option with the ability to choose a compression level would be even better.

Optional Basic file compression (e.g. gzip) before sending out any data

I agree, any encryption tool should compress it's input because it prevents other tools from doing it later.

However, it's likely that the files are already uncompressible for some reason so I would strongly recommend a "compression lite" eg lzo compression (lzop), that doesn't try too hard and can probably keep up with most (even high) line speeds.

I agree, any encryption tool should compress it's input because it prevents other tools from doing it later.

However, it's likely that the files are already uncompressible for some reason so I would strongly recommend a "compression lite" eg lzo compression (lzop), that doesn't try too hard and can probably keep up with most (even high) line speeds.

Or give the option for the users to pick on a share-based option.

For instance, if I share a coding project with someone, it's mainly going to be text (Excluding the one or two binary files from the bin folder, a few compiled libraries and MAYBE a few images), I'd prefer it to work hard and transfer less data than think "meh" and save me a bit of CPU power. However, if I was sharing my photo album with my mother, I'd much prefer no compression what-so-ever as I would presume that the files were already compressed well enough by the encoder.

• 11 months later...

PLEASE add compression for the network traffic.

I have gigabytes of data that will compress down to the 10th of the size (or more), but I cannot compress them on-disk as they need to be left uncompressed so they can be used day-to-day.

Uploading a few hundred megs is ok.  Uploading gigabytes is a huge jump in size, kills my quota and the network here is slow.

Dropbox handles it with ease.  Bittorrent takes days.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...