Disable Pro Trial In Sync 2.0?

@arlinsandbulte

Move the time forward on your PC to emulate license expiration. Make sure to do it on all peers involved. Make sure you are working ONLY to test files as they are going to receive new timestamps which are not going to be valid when you return the time back to normal.

@arlinsandbulte

Move the time forward on your PC to emulate license expiration. Make sure to do it on all peers involved. Make sure you are working ONLY to test files as they are going to receive new timestamps which are not going to be valid when you return the time back to normal.

That is, by far, the least-elegant workaround I have heard in a long-time.

Coming in as a close second is the process required to move a 1.4 BTSync folder to 2.0.

Not a great job, guys.

@arlinsandbulte

This is not reasonable. Please release an update that has a proper opt-out.

Given how they've handled the situation so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally made it so you can't opt out. An average user will start to depending on a "Pro" feature, thinking it is part of the free version, and then after 30 days they get the rug yanked out from under them. "Oops, sorry to hear you were using that, sounds like the Pro version is what you're looking for."

This is the only way to test I can share at the moment.

@el_milagro

I'll check we can do something to check it easier

@smajor

Don't make yet another conspiracy theory. It is just out of design.

It's not "just out of design" though. It's now a product you want us to pay for. And you're not giving us a reasonable way to evaluate it. If you expect money out of us, don't use this excuse. 

Perhaps I misunderstand your usage of the word "conspiracy."

If you don't plan on giving users a way to skip the trial and just use the free version just let us know.  As I've mentioned in other threads I have no intention of using the Pro version based on the current subscription model and would like to use the free version, but waiting 30 days to get the free version is ridiculous and something I won't do especially each time I add BTSync to a new system.  

I've been happy with BTSync for almost 2 years (member here since June 2013), I've recommended BTSync to many family members and friend and really don't want to switch to something else but I've already started looking elsewhere because I feel like my hand is being forced.

Now everyone gets why you have it setup the way you do....get people hooked on the Pro version during the trial in hopes they'll subscribe, but unless you offer a 1 time purchase I will never subscribe to the Pro version.  So again....PLEASE just let us know if you ever plan on allowing users to go straight to the free version or if the forced Pro trial is the only option. 

Thanks you.

Since it doesn't seem like you plan on offering a solution, I will.  If you find and delete the file license.bin and then start BTSync you'll be on the free version instead of the trial.  I've tested this both on the Mac and Linux version of BTSync and it has worked fine.  

Hopefully this helps someone.

Since it doesn't seem like you plan on offering a solution, I will.  If you find and delete the file license.bin and then start BTSync you'll be on the free version instead of the trial.  I've tested this both on the Mac and Linux version of BTSync and it has worked fine.  

Hopefully this helps someone.

THANK YOU!

It turns out that the free version is actually a little worse than I expected. I had hoped you could at least turn folders off and on without removing them entirely. Doesn't appear to be the case.

I would like to also express my annoyance with Bittorrent for forcing us into a free trial to try to get us dependent on pro features. It's super shady and lame.

Anyways, it took me forever to find it on Linux, but for Linux the license.bin is located in /var/lib/btsync/License/somenumbers/license.bin

now I just need to remember the command to restart btsync daemon...

And a big ol' screw you to bittorrent for doing this. If you don't want it to be free, don't make it be free. If you do, then don't act like a drug dealer, trying to get less savvy users tricked into paying...

I'm ok with offering "pro" service, but don't force me to use it the features in a trial state with no option to just skip it.

• 2 months later...

Well...

I was able to trick it on osx, by enabling and using the webkit inspector to switch from the pro offer page to the next one.

You have to enter the following command in the terminal first:

defaults write -g WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true

Then right click on sync and select inspect element..

I can't remember exactly what I messed with the page, I will install it on a new machine and post the details..