Linux Desktop Gui Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

I guess not till 1.4 is released as stable version

Edit. I see it is already, so it won't be long anymore

Sync to date has never been released as a "stable" version - all previous versions (Sync 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc) have been "beta" builds.

tuxpoldo's 1.4 builds will be ready when they're ready... I'm sure he will update you all in due course when they are.

I'm currently making a series of compatibility tests. The modularity of the Debian packages implies that the update of btsync-common to 1.4.72 affects the server version, the gui version and the legacy gui version. Before publishing the update I have to make sure, that all dependent packages (btsync, btsync-gui, btsync-gui-gtk and btsync-user) are working properly.

Furthermore the specific download locations are still missing, making it impossible to generate/execute a reproducible build script. In addition the GEODE version is also missing...

Regarding the GUI for Linux, there is a series of minimal adaptation that have to be done. First of all I have to add support for the new advanced configuration parameters and the new status codes. Additionally there are some small compatibility issues.

In any case the new version of btsync-gui will still not offer all that new Share-via-Link stuff, since I still have no documentation about how it really works and there is still no documented API support for it.

So stay tuned.

How can i change from the unoffical to the official package, and keep my configuration?

First of all: there is no official package for Debian derived distributions. For the Linux platform BitTorrent Inc. provides only archives with the btsync executable for various architectures. You have to manage the whole installation manually. In any case here some advice:

Before uninstalling the btsync-gui package, you must make sure, that known credentials are stored in the internal btsync status database. To do so, stop the btsync gui and than restart it from the command line by specifying the credentials you would like to use when connecting to the web interface.

btsync-gui --bindui 0.0.0.0 --port 8888 --username WhatYouLike --password SuperSecret --savedefaults

You can test if the credentials have been saved by connecting manually to the web UI with http://localhost:8888

Now you should stop btsync and uninstall everything:

sudo apt-get --yes --purge remove btsync-guisudo apt-get --yes --purge autoremove

Your entire btsync configuration will not be deleted. The internal database is stored in ~/.btsync

Now you can download the suitable btsync archive from the official download location. After downloading it, you have to unpack the archive. In the archive you will find a file named btsync. Move this file to your home directory. If you launch it, it will find the configuration data from the previous version and use it.

Here it is! The long awaited update to 1.4. As usual it will take a few hours for people using the Launchpad PPA. The YeaSoft Repository is available immediately. Have fun!

btsync-common (1.4.72-1) unstable; urgency=low  * New upstream release  * Removed special handling for GEODE cpu -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sun, 31 Aug 2014 14:28:13 +0200btsync-gui (0.8.4-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Changed "synched" to "synced" to keep consistency (Closes #137)  * Added Hungarian translation by Dávid Szilágyi (Closes #138)  * Added experimental support for a set of dark icons for light    themes (Closes #136)  * Added support for new advanced configuration parameters    of BitTorrent Sync 1.4 (Closes #146) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Thu, 01 Sep 2014 19:15:53 +0200

The latest mobile app on Android has a feature to backup the camera folder.  But, it does not use a QR code, instead it sends you an expiring link via email.  At the location of that link you are then provided with a link that starts with: "btsync://link.getsync.com/..."

The GUI for btsync does not know to catch this link.

The latest mobile app on Android has a feature to backup the camera folder.  But, it does not use a QR code, instead it sends you an expiring link via email.  At the location of that link you are then provided with a link that starts with: "btsync://link.getsync.com/..."

The GUI for btsync does not know to catch this link.

This is correct. Support for handling those links may be added in a future release, as soon as BitTorrent Inc. releases the corresponding API functions. As a workaround, you can access the web interface of BitTorrent Sync. To enable the web interface, stop BitTorrent Sync and than execute the following command from the command line:

btsync-gui --webui --savedefaults

The menu of the status indicator will now show also an option to connect to the web UI. Since the Web UI is vital for handling those kinds of links, I will enable the web UI by default in the next release. See Issue #148

Using the new updated version of GUI, Version 1.4.75 (1.4.75) on Linux UI Version 0.8.4 (Ubuntu 14.04), I can't add any more folder to Sync. Message is always the same error message :

Destination folder is not empty.  Add anyway?

With only the Close Button.

If the folder is empty, I can add it.

The fact is that I dont want to add a Destination Folder, but a Source folder. Seems to be working before... Any hints ?

Thanks

Philippe

Using the new updated version of GUI, Version 1.4.75 (1.4.75) on Linux UI Version 0.8.4 (Ubuntu 14.04), I can't add any more folder to Sync. Message is always the same error message :

Destination folder is not empty.  Add anyway?

With only the Close Button.

I could reproduce it. Will be fixed ASAP (I hope...). See Issue #154

Thank you!

Update: This is the consequence of an undocumented SyncAPI change. Will be fixed ASAP in the new version.

Edited by tuxpoldo

New version! Enjoy!

btsync-gui (0.8.5-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Fixed add_folder incompatibility with btsync 1.4 (Closes #154)  * Fixed settings file creation when local agent not already    started (Closes #153)  * Always enabled Web UI menu entry (Closes #148)  * Menu item "Open Original Manual" new opens tghe official BitTorrent    Sync help site that replaces the unmaintained PDF manual (Closes #157) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Fri, 05 Sep 2014 17:02:22 +0200

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Forum:

At first, thank you to all working on btsync Linux projects and forum posts.  I am migrating from a Win environment (dedicated only to running btsync) to the most recent version of Debian.  As a new Debian user I have benefited and learned greatly from the very accurate and detailed posts from tuxpoldo, etc. in this forum - excellent work - thank you for sharing your knowledge.

After installation of btsync-gui, I 'Open BitTorrent Sync...' from the applet on the desktop, click "Add", choose my directory, enter the secret, and continue to receive the following error: BitTorrent Sync Don't have permissions to write to the selected folder."

The directory I am choosing is mounted via /etc/fstab hosted by my QNAP NAS.  I know I have read/write access to the directory as root, as I can gedit a new file/edit-save in the same directory as root and verified the changes from another Win machine on the network.  However, when I gedit as my user "martin" I get a similar error message from gedit: "You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file."  So I realize permissions are not set correctly for me to take ownership of the directory via my user login "martin"

Would anybody be so kind as to guide me in correcting this issue?  I appreciate your patience.

Martin

I've managed to mkdir /home/martin/testbtsync  and then add that "folder" in btsync and then successfully sync that directory on the local Debian box to a Windows box without issues.  Edits on both machines appear on the other nearly instantly.

The problem is when I attempt to add a directory created on the NAS, even though I have that directory permanently mounted via /etc/fstab    ( /media/testmbsync )  and issued  chmod 777 -R /media/testmbsync  I still get the error "BitTorrent Sync Don't have permissions to write to the selected folder."

So at this point I know it is not a BitTorrent Sync issue, rather permissions issue with BitTorrent Sync being able to write to the mounted NAS directory /media/testmbsync

I will continue experimenting...

Sync to date has never been released as a "stable" version - all previous versions (Sync 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc) have been "beta" builds.

tuxpoldo's 1.4 builds will be ready when they're ready... I'm sure he will update you all in due course when they are.

I think it needs to be a lot more obvious that Sync is still in a beta state. I originally thought it wasn't then finally after the 4th time checking the download page did i see the word Beta. It needs to be a-lot more obvious so people understand that maybe they shouldn't trust this program with their important files...

OK, I'm confused. I uninstalled btsync-gui and installed btsync-user. My Android phone now shares links and when I access it on LM17 64bit it says "Just a moment while we start your request...Please make sure Sync 1.4 is running to receive this folder."

But when I installed the User, it says in the UI its 1.3. Can you explain how to upgrade?

Version 1.3.109
Up to date"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tuxpoldo

First I would thank for the work you have done by providing the debian package. I makes the installation/updating on multiple clients very easy.

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to "reactivate" btsync-user. I saw in the source of the gui that is possible to hide "Open With Webui". Would it be possible to get a version where "Open Bittorrent Sync" is hidden.

I'm asking that because a lot of my users are confused by these two options. We are using btsync in a non-profit organisation to sync multiple folders. 

Best Regards

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to "reactivate" btsync-user. I saw in the source of the gui that is possible to hide "Open With Webui". Would it be possible to get a version where "Open Bittorrent Sync" is hidden.

I'm asking that because a lot of my users are confused by these two options. We are using btsync in a non-profit organisation to sync multiple folders. 

Thank you for your suggestion! I was struggling a lot in the last weeks thinking about a way to smoothly migrate btsync-user users to btsync-gui. My initial thought was to let the btsync-user package install btsync-gui, but up to now I did not implement that because I know that many users would be confused. Now I have a plan:

1. btsync-gui will get a new option (btsync-user compatibility mode)  that will change the meaning of menu items. By default "Open BitTorrent Sync..." and a click on the status icon will open the GUI and "Open Web UI" will open the Web UI. If the new option is set, "Open BitTorrent Sync..." will be hidden and a click on the status icon will open the Web UI instead.
  2. The new btsync-user pseudo-package will install btsync-gui with this option already set.

This allows a smooth migration for users with btsync-user. Perhaps in future I will also consider implementing the Folders-Menu....

Another stupid question....

OK, I think I get the diff between the GUI and the other version now. I installed btsync-gui fine on Ubuntu 12.04. I had been running I assume the user package before but am not sure since I installed it a while ago. The prior version though I had a blank username/password to access the Web GUI, at least I was not entering it accessing it.  

After the new install I goto http://127.0.0.1:9999/ it says "authentication required" and asks for a u/p as per design. So I did "btsync-gui --webui --bindui 0.0.0.0 --username MyName --password MySecretPassword --savedefaults" literally pasted into the terminal and get "Default settings saved."

...but the u/p combo MyName/MySecretPassword won't log me in! What am I missing?
Edited by statueman