Sync 2.0 Is Horribly Broken On Windows And Android (Multiple Bugs Within)

jdrch

Sorry for the general post, but I'm at my wits end with this release, which is so ridiculously buggy. Where to begin?

FIrst of all, I'm running Sync 2.0 Pro across 2 Win 8.1 x64, 1 Win 7 x64, and 1 Android 4.4 device.

1) Folders belonging to an identity do NOT show up in devices connected to said identity (or otherwise take forever to show up). I have 8 Sync 2.0 folders on a source PC, but only 4 are showing up on my devices at all. The other 4 are apparently lost in space took 20 minutes to show up. All my devices are on the same LAN, so that's literally crazy.

2) What is up with the default file path setting? It's stupid, the entire point of Sync is to NOT have to alter your file hierarchy for syncing. User\BitTorrent Sync\ makes no sense whatsoever. The client should NOT create file paths unless explicitly instructed to do so. This is really horrific UX, guys.

3) If you try to connect a folder on the Android client using a custom path, literally NOTHING happens. The only workaround for this is to remove the folder from the Android device, which (according to the warning) removes it from all your other devices too. EXCEPT IT DOESN'T. Which is a bug, but thank God for that because without that malfunction custom paths are impossible.

4) Desktop client routinely and randomly forgets folder settings. Enable "Sync All" on a folder, come back a few hours later to discover that it's been randomly disabled.

5) Folders with 120GB+ of media are being reported as size 0 KB.

6) In tandem with #4 above, folder preferences magically change on their own. Archiving deleted items gets enabled out of the blue, DHT searching is disabled, etc.

7) Android client shows 0 peers connected, but 16.8 MB/s down. I guess the ability to download from nonexistent peers must be a new one. Great addition, guys /s

Seriously guys, you CANNOT call this a Pro product with flaws like the above. Not even close.

I have to agree withe above. I installed Syn 2.0 on my Android and then after linking with my desktop it did nothing. It brought me back tot her link device screen and sat there...

And the desktop upgrade was weird too. It should have properly cleaned up the old installation, then upgraded. Nothing in the email said to even click ont he btsync key file, which was the only way to change it to pro.

I don't get why this release is so buggy. Did no one test it?

As it stands, I'm all unsynced and screwed up now. 

@jdrch

1) 5) 7) Mail me logs

2) 3) Known issue, there is a workaround - try adding folder via QR code (even if you see it in Android UI) - it will give you an option to choose path if Simple Mode is off.

4) Should be fixed in latest build available - which one do you use?

@wimbit

Same here. Contact use via support form - and we'll do our best to help you and solve your issues.

@jdrch

1) 5) 7) Mail me logs

2) 3) Known issue, there is a workaround - try adding folder via QR code (even if you see it in Android UI) - it will give you an option to choose path if Simple Mode is off.

@wimbit

Same here. Contact use via support form - and we'll do our best to help you and solve your issues.

1) 5) 7) Log files too big. Might have to file bugs and upload that way

2) 3) Workaround gives error 106 in Android client. Which, BTW, after clearing all data and starting from scratch, refuses to connect any of my folders (despite displaying them).

4) Running 2.0.81. Forcing an update check says that's the latest available.

What a mess.

My 1.4 was working well, but 2.0 has me wasting my time.

Nothing works now. Re-establishing connections is impossible again. I can't specify the folders as before. It keeps pointing to my ext sd card, which I don't want to use everytime.

I wish my phone didn't auto-update the app. Updates are the bain of users' existence. Now I'm going to go back to manually syncing until 2.1 comes out.

What a mess.

My 1.4 was working well, but 2.0 has me wasting my time.

Nothing works now. Re-establishing connections is impossible again. I can't specify the folders as before. It keeps pointing to my ext sd card, which I don't want to use everytime.

I wish my phone didn't auto-update the app. Updates are the bain of users' existence. Now I'm going to go back to manually syncing until 2.1 comes out.

I've filed a bug about this really, really bad issue. In the mean time, I've stopped using BitTorrent Sync and am gonna try SyncThing for a bit. Sorry, but this kind of (nonexistent) reliability is too serious to not look for alternatives at this point.

I've filed a bug about this really, really bad issue. In the mean time, I've stopped using BitTorrent Sync and am gonna try SyncThing for a bit. Sorry, but this kind of (nonexistent) reliability is too serious to not look for alternatives at this point.

I'll look too. I refuse to re-learn a product that was working fine and now is too much work to figure out - and pay for it!

In my case, I have an Intel Android 4.4 tablet, version 2.0 crashes instantly and it doesn't even start. It seems that this behaviour is not uncommon.

Unfortunately, I was using it to sync all my projects between my Mac, my Window laptop and my Android tablet, and now I am manually moving files back and forth.

I have to add to this and hopefully someone will post when it's fixed.

But wow. Unbelievable. I shouldn't have upgraded.

1) It's broken. And I don't mean it has a bug. It simply doesn't work. I have 3 'peers' total and nothing syncs. The only thing that does work is mobile backup which happens to be a 1.4 folder for some reason. :|

2) This user experience hasn't gotten better! IT GOT WORSE! Keys were so simple! Just pass a key and BAM it works. They should keep that experience as an option. It seems very convoluted to manage now.

I'm worried that BTSync will lose it's appeal because it won't be a alternative way of doing things anymore. The appeal: No cloud, somewhat decentralized... More 'peer' tracking makes it less decentralized.

Ok ... I am getting things figured out:

1) Do not pair (link) your Android device. Because then it will share the access to sync all your folders from the Host Device (PC/SERVER/ETC).

Just set it up as a new device and then create the sync folders by scanning the barcode on the Host device.

2) The LINKED DEVICES works well. It definitely makes it easier to get several computers all in sync.

3) There is still some strange behaviour:

* On Android, make sure to open each share and select "sync all". Otherwise it will not sync anything.

* On Host. Check the ".sync" and make sure that when initial sync of Android occurs, that the BT SYNC does not inadvertantly delete files. For some strange reason, I noticed my entire DCIM content went missing and it was all in ".sync" as arcived (trash!). SO O moved it all back and it seems OK now.

I like the ability to pause specific folders. When I do video work, I don't want it trying to sync constantly and this feature helps.

Ok ... I am getting things figured out:

1) Do not pair (link) your Android device. Because then it will share the access to sync all your folders from the Host Device (PC/SERVER/ETC).

Just set it up as a new device and then create the sync folders by scanning the barcode.

2) The LINKED DEVICES works well. It definitely makes it easier to get several computers all in sync.

3) There is still some strange behaviour:

* On Android, make sure to open each share and select "sync all". Otherwise it will not sync anything.

* On Host. Check the ".sync" and make sure that when initial sync of Android occurs, that the BT SYNC does not inadvertantly delete files. For some strange reason, I noticed my entire DCIM content went missing and it was all in ".sync" as arcived (trash!). SO O moved it all back and it seems OK now.

I like the ability to pause specific folders. When I do video work, I don't want it trying to sync constantly and this feature helps.

Wow dude you are a genius!!! You managed to fix something that BTS support can't seem to figure out despite logs and an extensive description.

1) Yes, you're right. Rather ironic that using the central feature of BTS 2.0 breaks the app completely. I cleared my app data and reconnected after giving my S5 its own identity and ta-da!

BTW if anyone gets some total garbage error like "Cannot identify the destination folder," do this:

1. Disconnect the problem folder.
  2. Use an advanced file manager like ES File Explorer an enable the Show hidden items option.
  3. Navigate to the folder you're getting the error with.
  4. Delete the .sync folder.
  5. Try connecting the folder in the Android client again. It should work this time.

Hope this helps everyone, but I cannot overemphasize my disappointment at solutions for core functionality bugs for PAID PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE PRODUCT coming from forum users instead of official support channels or staff members. So far the Android app still hasn't been updated, which pretty much leaves any Pro users who haven't been to the forums with non-working product.

BitTorrent, you cannot survive doing business this way.

Idea for anyone who's still having trouble syncing on the Android client using a pre-existing identity:

Delete the (hidden) .sync folder in the folder(s) you're having trouble with and try connecting them or manually adding them via QR code again.

I haven't tried the above myself and have set up Android syncing using a separate identity for my Android device, but I'm curious is the above works for anyone else.

Looks like I spoke too soon about @wimbit's solution. Woke up to "Unknown error: 110" on my S5 this morning for 3 of the 4 folders I'm syncing.

*sigh* It gets even worse: even with my S5 on its own identity, trying to manually reconnect the folder using the "Add folder" menu gives a "106" error.

Just communicated with Sync Help.

Good news: an Android update is on the way that fixes these problems.

Bad news: the bug was based on the ridiculous assumption that synced mobile folders would not be pre-existing, i.e. the mobile app supports connecting brand new folders only (WHAT? You're kidding, right?) 

I'm really scratching my head at the design/decision making process that led to the above.

Update: I'm strongly suggesting Pro users who've been affected by bugs that prevent them from syncing to request pro-rated refunds http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/34638-if-youre-a-pro-user-who-suffered-outages-due-to-broken-desktop-or-android-clients-request-a-pro-rated-refund/

jdrch

As Roman stated above, adding the pre-existing folder on Android is a known bug and  yes, the fix is coming.

SyncMan,

Intel processes have never and are still not officially supported. in Sync 1.4 some inner libraries (I will not go into details) were managed in a different way, which was recognized by amd emulator on Intels and let Sync run. In Sync 2.0 work with libs was changes, and no longer recognized. 

Bugs I originally posted about have at least been addressed to the point where I know have a working Windows machines + Android sync set up again. Thanks devs!

That said, adding folders with many subfolders is still slow. I'm guessing the app scans the folder before it's actually added? If so, I would suggest this scanning process takes place after the add command is complete, i.e. the folder should show up as "Indexing" or "Pre-scanning" instead of the add dialog freezing.

The app reads the folder - gets the folder tree from the system. We'll try to make this improvement.

btw, new Android 2.0.80, where existing folder can be added, is already in Google Play

1) Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks, the improvement would really make UX better.

2) The new Android is what I was referring to.

I also had issues with the 1.4 to 2.0 upgrade.  Unfortunately I've unsuccessfully tried to back everything out a variety of ways:

1 - uninstall 2.0 and reinstall 1.4.65 via the APK

2 - reinstall 2.0 via the store (which indicated that a 1.4 folder was still present)

3 - delete all traces of the previous install (by uninstalling, deleting all sync folders including hidden files, and deleting the btsync.zip from the data folder, and then install 2.0 "clean".

All three share the same issue on the Android side, I am unable to change the default folder or sync any folder not created and assigned by BTsync.  Any attempt to change folders in 2.0.80 crashes the app.  No attempt to change folders even proved possible in the reinstall of 1.4.65 mentioned under point 1. 

Is this part of the same issue RomanZ referenced on the 9thwhen addressing @jdrch?  If so, what is the timetable for a fix?

@jdrch

1) 5) 7) Mail me logs

@wimbit

I also had issues with the 1.4 to 2.0 upgrade.  Unfortunately I've unsuccessfully tried to back everything out a variety of ways:

1 - uninstall 2.0 and reinstall 1.4.65 via the APK

2 - reinstall 2.0 via the store (which indicated that a 1.4 folder was still present)

3 - delete all traces of the previous install (by uninstalling, deleting all sync folders including hidden files, and deleting the btsync.zip from the data folder, and then install 2.0 "clean".

All three share the same issue, I am unable to change the default folder or sync any folder not created and assigned by BTsync.  Any attempt to change folders in 2.0.80 creashes the app.  No attempt to chang folder even proved possible in the reinstall of 1.4.65 mentioned under point 1. 

Is this part of the same issue RomanZ referenced on the 9thwhen addressing @jdrch?  If so, what is the timetable for a fix?

From my experience the best (only?) reliable way to migrate from 1.4 to 2.0 is to remove all your 1.4 folders (including associated sync archive files/folders) and create new 2.0 folders. This is tedious, but the good news is there's no data loss and you're quickly back up and running until the Android app (currently a major PITA) throws an error and ruins everything again.

I migrated to Syncthing today and am seeing how that works out.

@narnold1,

Any attempt to change folders in 2.0.80 crashes the app.

What is your device? And how exactly you change the folder, I mean, on which exactly step the app crashes? 

The issue Roman mentioned is fixed in 2.0.80 -when you disable "Simple mode", Sync will allow picking the folder location while connecting the folder 

@narnold1,

What is your device? And how exactly you change the folder, I mean, on which exactly step the app crashes? 

The issue Roman mentioned is fixed in 2.0.80 -when you disable "Simple mode", Sync will allow picking the folder location while connecting the folder 

@Helen

I running Android 4.4 on a Galaxy Note II (with Sync 2.0.80 most recently).  Specifically, whenever I attempt to change the default folder location (in Advanced Settings) in Syn, I get the "Unfortunately, Sync has stopped." message.  Clicking OK (or report) restarts Sync.

narnold1,

Unfortunately, there is no crash report from this devices among reports we receive. Can you please send a feedback from your phone after another crash, and agree to attach logs. In the text please indicate that it's from narnold1 and mention this forum topic. Thanks

• 4 months later...