Sync and Windows Server support

kos13

Dear Community Members,

The team at Resilio is committed to developing the fastest and most secure file synchronization solution in the world.  We work tirelessly to ensure our products deliver on this promise and continue to meet the needs of our valued community and customers.  

Judging from some of the activity here, our commitment to the continued development of these products and the recent release of Sync 2.7 produced an unintended consequence.  

For that we apologize.   

For existing Pro users impacted by the recent change to Windows Server support, we will upgrade you to a version of Sync Business that supports Windows Server for free.  

Details on that below.

Judging from some of the comments, it’s important to note the decision to remove Windows Server support from future consumers, however logical on the surface, was not intended to “take anything away” from current users.   While we did not fully appreciate the extent of Windows Server usage among consumers, our intention was and remains that Sync 2.6.x continues to operate “as is” on these platforms.  We won’t prevent that.

Our implementation of the upgrade path for existing users also contributed to the problem.  The original intent on Windows Server was a notification to remain on Sync 2.6.x and prevent the update.  This was not implemented in our effort to expedite the release and we understand the confusion and frustration this may have caused.  

We will continue to improve and introduce functionality we believe best meets the needs of the market.  We remain committed to our free and paid users.  We will not always make perfect decisions for everyone, but our goal endures to “do things right” and foster a strong community of committed Resilio users along the way.  

We hope you will continue to support us in our efforts.

-- kos

For existing (prior to 2.7) Pro users wishing to run Sync 2.7 on Windows Server:

•  Contact support and provide the details of your license
  •  Support will ask you to confirm the use is non-commercial per the terms of the EULA
  •  Once confirmed, Support will issue a free (no cost to you) license for Sync Business that supports Windows Server for your home deployment.
  • Sync Home (free and paid) will not support Windows Server from version 2.7 onward.
  • If this solution does not meet your needs for any reason, please contact me at kos@resilio.com

• Helen pinned this topic

kos13,

Good post.  I'm glad you guys were able to take care of the server refugees.

2 hours ago, kos13 said:

Our implementation of the upgrade path for existing users also contributed to the problem.  The original intent on Windows Server was a notification to remain on Sync 2.6.x and prevent the update.  This was not implemented in our effort to expedite the release and we understand the confusion and frustration this may have caused.

Yes, that would have been ideal. I'm glad this was actually on your radar, at least.  Next time...

On the licensing front, am I correct that Pro license was a 5 user license and now a business license with 1 Server license means they would get a 20 user license?  Or you're cooking up a special 5 user license for Pro->Server refugees?

And I assume you've implemented a cutoff date < June 1st? Or I guess you just can't buy Pro anymore, so that is probably moot.

7 hours ago, kos13 said:

For existing Pro users impacted by the recent change to Windows Server support, we will upgrade you to a version of Sync Business that supports Windows Server for free.  

Super!  Thanks a lot for this decision!  I've tried several sync solutions availabe on the market and this is always my favorite.  I'll continuely support it!

9 hours ago, Timbo said:

On the licensing front, am I correct that Pro license was a 5 user license and now a business license with 1 Server license means they would get a 20 user license?  Or you're cooking up a special 5 user license for Pro->Server refugees?

You will receive license for 5 users.

12 hours ago, kos13 said:

The team at Resilio is committed to developing the fastest and most secure file synchronization solution in the world.  We work tirelessly to ensure our products deliver on this promise and continue to meet the needs of our valued community and customers.

As a loyal and long-time user of Resilio, previously BTsync and also a very convinced user, I would like to say:

At this point I suggest analyzing the forum as not all bugs have been fixed yet with v2.7.0. It would also be good if the update cycles e.g. monthly or quarterly, the users, including myself, would again provide more concrete information about errors or bugs. It was a lot of work to revive this already dead forum, which is admittedly also fun. For the updates, I therefore rather suggest small and smallest steps compared to updates once a year and then solutions for alle the bugs or functions are still missing finally.

I don't want to take your keenest competitor as an example, but if you want your loyal customers and community to be complete again, take care of them because they are gradually migrating. All you have to do is visit the forum there.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:01 AM, kos13 said:

For existing (prior to 2.7) Pro users wishing to run Sync 2.7 on Windows Server:

• Sync Home (free and paid) will not support Windows Server from version 2.7 onward.

Only one Question to this Quote.

Does this mean that a customer who wants to run a private server after version 2.7 has no prospect of a license for private use?

Or did I misunderstand that?

On 6/4/2020 at 5:01 AM, kos13 said:

•  Contact support and provide the details of your license
  •  Support will ask you to confirm the use is non-commercial per the terms of the EULA
  •  Once confirmed, Support will issue a free (no cost to you) license for Sync Business that supports Windows Server for your home deployment.
  • If this solution does not meet your needs for any reason, please contact me at kos@resilio.com

Its a rule, see above. I think is also after v2.7 and if not clear, is better to contact support.

13 minutes ago, Andy+ said:

Its a rule, see above. I think is also after v2.7 and if not clear, is better to contact support.

Will do that to clarify that, because after my apprenticeship i want to install a small home server. For now i have no money to do this. If they answer it is not possible in one year to get a private server license i will look for other sync software.

1 hour ago, Andy+ said:

I think the result and what is going on is interesting for everyone.

Thank you for contacting us!

This offer is for already existing Pro users - those who had purchased the license before the release of 2.7.0. To run Sync on a Windows Server you need Business license with server support, which is enabled starting with 20 seats. Business license is quite costly though https://www.resilio.com/buy/sync-business/?seats=20&term=yr
You can stick with older Sync 2.6.4, but please note that it won't be receiving new fixes and features, download here https://forum.resilio.com/topic/71647-latest-desktop-build-264

Please let us know if any other assistance is required.

Best regards,
Resilio Support Team

Only for existing Users. So not for me or others who buy the pro license after the 2.7 release. So i will migrate to another Sync software, becaus now Resilio is useless for the future for me.

11 hours ago, Andy+ said:

I think surely you can use still use v2.6.4 in the next time, as a serious alternative only Syncthing would remain.

Not future-proof, but thank you. Resilio is a big company with big business users. They have no need for small customers.

What I criticize is this: They make you dependent first and then pull the noose. To say Server is Business is totally wrong. In Europe it is allowed to buy second hand Server-Licenses. The Standard Windows Server 2019 OS cost only between 400€ - 1000€. Buy a little TowerServer with a small 16 core CPU is enough for home use. All for 2000-2500€ and that is not much compared a new business Server cost 10k+ and more.

They have the right to do this what they do. But to say Server OS is Business is not the truth. That reason make me angry. My opinion.

On 6/16/2020 at 5:28 AM, Syncvxx said:

I received the server license after contacting support. No problem. Original pro license stays valid too which is nice.

I have 2 questions:

1. Can you link all devices with the original "Home Pro license" and the Windows Server client with the new "server license"?

2. How many free Windows server license did you receive? is it just 1 license for for 1 Windows server, or 1 license for many Windows Servers?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Andy+ said:

For different reasons the people went back to version 2.7.0 (1366) to solve different problems, but no reaction from any member of Resilio. I dont understand that.

They probably have other priorities and do not have any manpower to monitor the forums nor work on the bugs reported. 

I can understand that capacities have to be used carefully. But Resilio has a crisis of confidence in relation of the users. I keep seeing new users in the Syncthing forum who come from here frustrated. Anyone who asks qualified questions there will be looked after by at least 3 maintainers or software developers and, if necessary, further contributors. Nothing really works here in the Resilio Forum, just announcements and promises, but ultimately far too little is happening. I do not understand that.

I can testify that Syncthing still has its small bugs, but now runs just as well as Resilio. Resilio has approved all of this itself and if you don't necessarily need the special features such as selective sync, local copying, simple sharing, you have a very simple choice and alternative and it works perfectly and basically just as quickly. And (!) Is free (!)

And I say that as a user with several licenses.

11 minutes ago, Andy+ said:

I can understand that capacities have to be used carefully. But Resilio has a crisis of confidence in relation of the users. I keep seeing new users in the Syncthing forum who come from here frustrated. Anyone who asks qualified questions there will be looked after by at least 3 maintainers or software developers and, if necessary, further contributors. Nothing really works here in the Resilio Forum, just announcements and promises, but ultimately far too little is happening. I do not understand that.

I can testify that Syncthing still has its small bugs, but now runs just as well as Resilio. Resilio has approved all of this itself and if you don't necessarily need the special features such as selective sync, local copying, simple sharing, you have a very simple choice and alternative and it works perfectly and basically just as quickly. And (!) Is free (!)

And I say that as a user with several licenses.

I don't begrudge them for trying to make money. I'm sure their business model has changed frequently over the years. It's hard to compete with free, especially when "if you don't necessarily need the special features" for the majority of users. 

Resilio wastes great potential, that's the users.

We are in a similar community here, whether licenses have been bought or not. And users like to test too. With this, software can be developed much faster, better and more efficiently than without it. That's why Syncthing has gotten so good so quickly. Nobody does that with professional corporate customers, they expect something for the money.

It is foreseeable that Resilio will be left behind, as there is also work on features etc. and the defectors there will also ask for selective sync etc. or suggest this as a feature request.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a long time ResilioSync User and love it, it's always had rock solid reliability and always done with ease what I wanted from it. I became aware of this forum after it stopped working for me on my home server recently due to the changes, although Resilio did give me a free server license for it.

However I do agree with what the other posters have said before me about Resilio slowly being left behind. I've been mentioning ResilioSync to friends and colleagues recently since my issues to get their opinion and all of them said one thing.... why don't you just use SyncThing!