Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

I have one simple request: on the desktop app (at least), when viewing the list of sync'd folders, provide a way to open the local folder in the operating system — e.g. with File Explorer under Windows.

I suggest having the option be on a right-click menu or on the folder's Properties tab, but I'll be happy with whatever your UI designers devise.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for coming up with such a cool and useful sync system!

I would agree with the request by Sue D. Nymme, but I would more prefer :

* List up configured sync folders with sync progress information, by the right-click context menu of the task tray icon of the Windows client, as menu items.

* As sub menu items of each a sync folder entries, to have

- Open by File Explorer

- Pause / Resume per folder basis

Of course, it would be great to have the equivalents by the client window.

Thanks,

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

I have one simple request: on the desktop app (at least), when viewing the list of sync'd folders, provide a way to open the local folder in the operating system — e.g. with File Explorer under Windows.

I suggest having the option be on a right-click menu or on the folder's Properties tab, but I'll be happy with whatever your UI designers devise.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for coming up with such a cool and useful sync system!

on mine, if you go to the main "My Sync" tab and doubleclick the folder names there, it opens in windows explorer.  I'm not sure about other OSes though.

I would love to see more information / better organization of both the "Devices" and the "My Sync" tabs in the BTSync UI.

For example, what does "My Sync" really mean? I think it should be called "Folders." There is a picture of a folder there so that would make it more consistent. Also, a little arrow to the left of every folder would be cool. If I click the little arrow, it would drop down all of the devices that are currently online and sync'ing that folder.

I think a similar structure should be put on the "Devices" tab. When I click the devices, I get a whole bunch of devices, but there are duplicate entries and they are sorted by folder, not by device. That's confusing, and I need to look at it kinda hard sometimes to verify that certain machines are online. I would much rather see a list, somewhat like the "My Sync" tab, but instead of folders, list out the devices. Then I could click an arrow to expand each device and see what folder(s) it's sync'ing. Would also be cool to have an icon or something to let me know what kind of machine it is... Windows? iOS? Mac? FreeBSD?

I hope you like my suggestions - great product. It continues to improve, and I'm excited to see what it looks like after some more continued development.

My wishlist in order of priority:

1. SHH Key like authentication, private and public keys.

2. RSync implmentation.

3. Selective sync at Folder and File level, if it's not checked ignore it, get rid of .SyncIgnore.

4. Give shared folders descriptive names ie rename the label, sometime the folder name is just not descriptive.

5. Column sorting.

jemail

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

Purely a tracker node

Add the ability for a node to behave like a tracker even if it does NOT contain the share.

You might have some node with a static IP that you'd like to use as a tracker for ALL your shares, regardless of whether it actually has data for all the shares. Right now, you'd have to physically add the data of the share for a predefined host to behave like a tracker for that share.

No good.

- I am voting on shedule system too.. the one implemented in utorrent is greate, please make it like that!

- sharing folders temporary to people that doesn't have btsync installed (something to "generate download / stream link")

- live stream video/audio files using "download/stream links" to people who doesn't have btsync installed

- option to "promote" one peer in lan to sync outside lan. - without that option is very hard to control internet bandwidth. Every peers should sync in lan on just one to sync outside.

- sync in lan is very slow - please speed it up

- "backup sync" option. Peer containing "backup sync folder"  should archive all file versions, compress it by version or date. Id should have "back in time" recovery option. Select date and then it recovers all/selected file to that version

thanks

Ubuntu One had this and I thought is was a great feature. You synced all your data to the cloud and if you wanted to share it with someone you could "Publish" it and it would create a download link for that specific file and then the user could download the file directly from that link.

Oh and...

- Thumbmail view for photos/videos.

Edited by Steel Reign

folder sort (not sure ive ever seen a product not have sortable columns)

Also would love the ability for the full access folder to be able to delete files without having to auto move files out of read only folders to prevent data loss whenever the host computer needs to delete files. 

So, the lessons for BitTorrent to learn from this Cubby fiasco, are; "Are users really looking a new cloud storage solution, a peer-peer sync solution, or both?" ...Whilst it would of course be perfect to have both of these features in a single offering (like Mesh did!), BitTorrent need to be careful that the peer-peer sync side of things wouldn't suffer as a result of any venutre into cloud storage! (in a similar way that the Cubby service has suffered)

Given that there are many FREE cloud storage storage offerings currently available (SkyDrive, DropBox, GDrive, etc), I think BitTorrent could have a hard time competing with these in offering their own cloud storage. SyncApp currently fills a nice hole in the market, and I for one hope they take full advantage of that by developing an amazing peer-to-peer sync solution, and then worry about any potential cloud integration at a later date!

I love the p2p idea in *some* cases, and in others I want an OwnCloud/DropBox solution (central server arbitraging for documents getting edited, and syncing as and when the users are available as the central server/store/cloud is "always" available, and with OwnCloud it's in your control)

What I've been looking at doing, is setting up a "sync server" in the cloud with my hosting provider (that already does multi-Terabyte tansfers) so that I have the best of both worlds: a p2p sync, but a "cloud" store that is available whenever my other peers aren't available. perhaps create ready to deploy Amazon type VM images for users to deploy to help sync them?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!
  I'm now "locking" this original Wishlist thread, as we now have a dedicated Feature Requests forum for Sync.

I'm currently in the process of splitting out posts from this original thread and combining them into dedicated threads each one covering a single suggestion/topic.

After this process is complete, this original Wishlist thread will become an "archive" of previous suggestions that have since gone on to be incorporated into Sync!

So, if you have a suggestion for an improvement/new feature you'd like to see in Sync, please take a moment to see if there's already a similar thread in this forum, and add your voice/support to that!

If there's no existing thread in the Feature Requests forum which relates to your particular idea/suggestion, feel free to start a new thread - but please give it a meaningful title, and keep your post restricted to a single feature request (if you have multiple ideas, post them in multiple threads)