[Now Implemented!] Selective Sync

robert-info

I have several shares / folders configured in BTSync now. What if at a time I need to sync only some of them (or even just one) and not the others? Why I need it? I don't want to broadcast secret for those folders, that I don't want/need to synchronize every time I run BTSync time.

I think it'd be very nice to have additional check box column in "My Sync" grid to allow (or not) specific folders to sync.

At the moment I can do it by removing folder(s) from the list and then adding it/them back later. But, as you can see, this is not convenient and create unnecessary hassle, which could be eliminated with a simple check box in current UI design :)

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I cant believe this feature doesn't exist in Bittorrent Sync yet. It is the only thing holding my company back from exclusively using it and is by far the most important feature needed for this kind of product in a company like ours.

We have several large projects each several GB, without this feature everyone in the company would have to download then entire project directory.

I am contemplating writing a small program to populate the .syncignore file with a simple tick box interface, which is an uber sucky solution to an even more uber sucky problem. PLEASE FIX. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use BTSync extensively, and I love it. I set up a nginx webserver running a WebUI into the Internet, and I found it extremely displeasing to not being able to get just one file without syncing a whole directory. I'd love to see a WebUI feature one day that would allow to browse through a hierarchy and download a file from a tree through some sort of a link.

I mean, I know iOS app does that - downloads-on-request of some sort.

P.S. Thanks for the great product and excuse my bad English. :)

Recommend selective sync. Of course it will be available bit by bit if at all :unsure:. A first "bare bones" shot could be as simple as include or exclude all subfolders, with exclude as default. Provide override option to include all subfolders having inherited folder properties, and to customize inclusion of specific excluded folders (even if done by manual selection). This simple first shot could get the ball rolling with more complex features likely to follow! Given the fine but complex desires on this feature will likely be an impediment both for the developers and added complexity for the general user. Less is More at this juncture.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently all the files in a synced folder are stored on all connected computers. This could become a problem, if one of these is a laptop that doesn't have much storage space on it.

If an interface could be implemented, that would allow users to pick which file(s) to store, it would prevent the computer from filling up with files from the shared folder. A similar feature is already done on android app, because usually handheld devices don't have much storage space.

This would also allow for quick file retrieval from a sync folder on any computer, that doesn't have the full folder synced.

+1 Voting in favor of this.

I would definitely like to be able to sync specific folders on my desktop. Probably should be a menu in the entry's preferences where you can use a checkbox to enable or disable a particular available directory.

I know the phone has this ability and always wondered why the desktop client didn't have it. At the moment I have to have 2 different folders so that one folder can share larger files, and another could just sync smaller files.

I know the phone has this ability and always wondered why the desktop client didn't have it. At the moment I have to have 2 different folders so that one folder can share larger files, and another could just sync smaller files.

Where does ehis ability exist on the phnoe/mobile app?

What i would like to have because it would make my live much easier:

- the option to sync the content (documents, photos, music) on my two laptops, ipad and phone to a nas (in my case a raspi with extnal hd)

- then all metadata from the files on my nas is syncing back to all devices

So if a file was already on laptop 1 I can open it, change it and the changed file syncs with my nas.

If it was original on my phone I see the file (metadata sync) in my sync folder on my laptop and can choose to download it or not.

This functionality is for an important part the reason the Plug / Lima device on Kickstarter was such a huge succes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cloud-guys/plug-the-brain-of-your-devices

This project is delayed a lot and backers like me are looking for alternatives.

+1 for this idea and some words about it

The current selective sync feature on Android phones is not exactly what I'm looking for.

If I select a subfolder to be synced (no auto-sync selected), only those files which exist at this time are synced. Folders & files which added later by any of the peers won't get synced until I open the app and select "sync" again.

Also it isn't possible to deselect a folder or file at a later time. So if I change my mind and don't want that folder/file  to be synced any longer I have no possibility to uncheck these items. (or at least I cannot see how it works)

• 4 weeks later...

I created an account specifically to request this.. I love bittorrent sync but it has got to have a selective sync option. I have a collection of media assets I would like to share with a group of people, except not every person needs every single file, nor do they have the space for it. It looks something like:

MainFolder

|->someFolder>files

|->anotherFolder>files

|->90+ other subfolders

I want to be able to just create a share for MainFolder, and have the users just check off the subfolders they actually want to sync (like dropbox and google drive allow) since the only other alternative right now I see is to create a share key for each individual subfolder.. 

Unless I am missing some functionality somewhere?

Thanks,

-Tyler

• 3 weeks later...