Readonly Folder Between Devices

Florent

Hi,

Since I switched to version 2.0, I use the feature "My devices" in order to sync easily my folders. But with this feature I can't configure the access mode (readonly or read&write) so since this version I cannot use it to backup folder because if I modify or delete a file on my backup server, it will do the change on the other device.

Did you plan to add more sharing options on "my devices"  ? Or maybe define a device as a "backup device" so a change on this device will not propagate it on others. It would be great.

I suppose that if I want to use this kind of backup feature at this time, I have to unlink my backup server and share my folders with it like any other device ?

Thanks

The latter option is what I have been having to do (with the exception of my phone which only sends the camera backup).

I have two reasons for doing this. 1) like you, I have one pc hidden in a workshop that is purely a backup device. So if for some wild reason some files get deleted, I don't want them getting deleted on the source machine. 2) Primarily due to unresolved beta issues I don't intend to subscribe at this time. Since the mydevices feature will get nixed once the trial is over, why not treat it as such now?

I have to say that I am hoping big time for this feature to. and I also own a pro license which I would like to be able to use on all my nodes.

as of now it is not too problematic as the read-only node has less than 10 shared folders so I simply unlinked it and I manually added the shares..

but it will be an issue at the moment I need to breach this limit

other than that thanks for the great tool.

C

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered a way around this in 2.0.93.  Classing (v1.4) folders can be created by holding the shift key when create folder is clicked.  (See "Classic Folders" in http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1901253-folder-types-and-management.) Classic folders can be shared read only using the "Manual Connection..." option.

Edited by Galsondor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

This is an essential feature.

No one wants read/write on their backup servers.

I've paid for PRO and was very disappointed when I could not read-only the shares on my backup server once it was linked to my identity. Seems to me like a pretty big oversight in the massive 2.2 upgrade.

Guess I'll have to go back to 1.4 folders, unlink my devices and link everything manually (and not use any of the features that I paid for...).

Please address this!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Been away for awhile but just bought Pro so I was re configuring MyDevices and ran into this problem again/still. I surely thought it would have been resolved by now.

Helen - thanks for that but it's not really the correct answer or solution to this. It's a step backwards. Reiterating a lot of this thread but what we should be able to do is create an Advanced folder on MyDeviceA then go to MyDeviceB and connect it. During the connect process it should ask us if it's RW or RO. The Advanced folder says you can change permissions on the fly so why shouldn't it be able to do this when using MyDevices. We should have the ability on MyDeviceB at anytime to change it from RW to RO. Using Standard folders and copying keys isn't what is needed here.

• 5 months later...