Latest Desktop Build 2.7.0

BTW Local Share seems useful. Today I do backups by syncing my server data to a backup storage pool mounted to the same server. I had to create a different user login on the server to do this, and have a separate Sync instance running on that user's desktop. Local Share would make this really easy, as well as resource efficient. (Except I don't have a business license, so I can't use it.)

Another thought on server license... I'd be willing to pay a one-time fee to add server license to my Home Pro license. But not $360/year. How about a one-time fee of $50? 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, chrisgull said:

Actually, the page you linked to states "Server Operating System means all Windows Server group and Linux and NAS with non-arm based CPU."

This is of course a problem on the Linux side as well, as there are plenty of x86-based desktop installs, and NAS boxes suitable for home use. 

Once again, OS or CPU family is NOT an indicator of whether you run a business. Find a more appropriate way to differentiate home and business tiers.

Totally agree on this ! Please find a fair way and do not force users to move on a business license that doesn't fit their needs and is very, very expensive !

What a nice surprise! I really thought Sync has become abandoned and I was even more disappointed about it after buying Pro and Family, not because I needed it, but because I liked it so much and wanted to support it. So glad to see there is some activity again.

Hope to see some progress on the Android app soon too, the latest version is not really reliable anymore for a while now.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:06 PM, 7H0M4S said:

Totally agree on this ! Please find a fair way and do not force users to move on a business license that doesn't fit their needs and is very, very expensive !

What solution would you prefer?

This is a common issue for just about all paid enterprise software: there's always some cutoff beyond which it's assumed you're running a business and can afford a business license.

FTR, Windows Server pricing isn't inexpensive or free; so yes it is a reasonable assumption that anyone running WS can afford an enterprise level Sync license. And if you're not running a business, then you can get most of WS' non-domain functionality out of Pro, Pro for Workstations, or Enterprise. If you do need the domain functionality, then it is what it is. Neither Windows now Sync are free solutions; adjust your expectations accordingly.

1 minute ago, AOlives said:

Current Pro Home users, who have followed the rules, shouldn't lose functionality,

We should be grandfathered into server support.

Grandfathering sounds like a workable solution in theory. Not sure if Resilio has that kind of license server-side granularity, but it would be a useful path forward.

12 minutes ago, jdrch said:

Grandfathering sounds like a workable solution in theory. Not sure if Resilio has that kind of license server-side granularity, but it would be a useful path forward.

It feels like the best option to me as well.
New users will know what they are purchasing and can make the decision for themselves, but current Home Pro users have paid for something that we will no longer be receiving. We will see I guess.

Do Home Pro users have Linux server support? I feel like that'd be a harder thing to limit.

2 hours ago, AOlives said:

Do Home Pro users have Linux server support? I feel like that'd be a harder thing to limit.

Non-Windows OSes don't use SKUs per se, plus because pretty much everything that isn't Windows, AIX, or macOS is free my aforesaid assumption of being able to afford an enterprise license by virtue of already paying thousands of USD for an OS license doesn't apply for those other OSes.

Personally, I run Sync Home Pro on Windows 10 Home & Pro, Android, Ubuntu, Debian, Raspbian, and FreeBSD without any issue.

UPDATE: manually updated to 2.7.0 on my FreeBSD and Windows machines with no issue.

Same on my side. I have both, PRO and FAMILY licenses and all my Devices, Windows 10 and different Synology Servers are updated to v2.7.0 und running perfectly. Only Android APP is v2.6.3 and I hope in the near future we get a update to v2.7.0.

I also think that in a small environment or in small companies no Windows Server with domain controller is required, the "normal" Windows sharing functionality is basically sufficient and "you can get most of WS' non-domain functionality out of Pro, Pro for Workstations, or Enterprise".

At some point, of course, the question arises whether the effort to maintain user profiles is easier with domain controllers because the number of clients etc. is higher or high. Or you want it as a "hobby" because it's nice to have it, maybe even as an individual or one person. In this respect, I agree that other people do not know how it behaves, it is assumed that who runs Windows Server, has an administration behind it and can afford corresponding software licenses. I think that's okay too.

I think the above affected should describe their environment in order to be able to make better judgments.

Hi Andy, i do need a windows server edition for the sole purpose i use serval computers for CGI, and windows home/pro limit the simultaneous connexions to 20.

This limitation is totally an issue for me as i have multiple connexions on multiple machines, the only way to bypass this, was to buy a way too expensive microsoft license ...

If there was a solution to keep windows pro without this limitation i woud be glad to downgrade my machine to avoid the resilio new license policy ...

I guess there are a lot of other situations where people are using a windows server edition without being a big company, able to rent an expensive business solution !

Regards,

18 hours ago, jdrch said:

What solution would you prefer?

This is a common issue for just about all paid enterprise software: there's always some cutoff beyond which it's assumed you're running a business and can afford a business license.

FTR, Windows Server pricing isn't inexpensive or free; so yes it is a reasonable assumption that anyone running WS can afford an enterprise level Sync license. And if you're not running a business, then you can get most of WS' non-domain functionality out of Pro, Pro for Workstations, or Enterprise. If you do need the domain functionality, then it is what it is. Neither Windows now Sync are free solutions; adjust your expectations accordingly.

FTR, your assumptions don't hold. I paid $12 on sale for my Windows Server 2016 Essentials license. Completely legal. I even called Microsoft to verify. List price was $399 for 2016, now $501 for 2019, but nobody seems to pay list price. Now, compare $12 - or $399, or $501 - over, say, five years to $1800 for Sync Business over five years.

Edited by chrisgull

12 hours ago, Andy+ said:

Same on my side. I have both, PRO and FAMILY licenses and all my Devices, Windows 10 and different Synology Servers are updated to v2.7.0 und running perfectly. Only Android APP is v2.6.3 and I hope in the near future we get a update to v2.7.0.

I also think that in a small environment or in small companies no Windows Server with domain controller is required, the "normal" Windows sharing functionality is basically sufficient and "you can get most of WS' non-domain functionality out of Pro, Pro for Workstations, or Enterprise".

At some point, of course, the question arises whether the effort to maintain user profiles is easier with domain controllers because the number of clients etc. is higher or high. Or you want it as a "hobby" because it's nice to have it, maybe even as an individual or one person. In this respect, I agree that other people do not know how it behaves, it is assumed that who runs Windows Server, has an administration behind it and can afford corresponding software licenses. I think that's okay too.

I think the above affected should describe their environment in order to be able to make better judgments.

What you don't get from Windows Home/Pro that I find essential in Server is full storage virtualization features. 

27 minutes ago, chrisgull said:

FTR, your assumptions don't hold. I paid $12 on sale for my Windows Server 2016 Essentials license. Completely legal. I even called Microsoft to verify. List price was $399 for 2016, now $501 for 2019, but nobody seems to pay list price. Now, compare $12 - or $399, or $501 - over, say, five years to $1800 for Sync Business over five years.

They do hold. The official list prices are what they are. The fact that you may have gotten a new BMW for the price of a used econobox doesn't change the fact that the BMW is a luxury car. When you take it in for service or try to buy aftermarket stuff for it, you're gonna pay just as much as someone who bought it at full price.

Windows Server is an enterprise product with the usual enterprise trappings whether you paid $12 or nearly $7000 for it.

Anyway, as staff already pointed out, all you have to do to resolve the issue is contact them directly. I had to do the same myself with TeamViewer because I'm on their free tier but I have so many client instances they thought I was a business. Took a couple weeks but all is good now. That's an easy solution anyone can manage.

5 minutes ago, chrisgull said:

What you don't get from Windows Home/Pro that I find essential in Server is full storage virtualization features. 

Fair enough. But you also have to accept what comes with that, too. Namely that enterprise products tend to beget enterprise prices by default unless you explicitly ask for an exception.

3 minutes ago, jdrch said:

They do hold. The official list prices are what they are. The fact that you may have gotten a new BMW for the price of a used econobox doesn't change the fact that the BMW is a luxury car. When you take it in for service or try to buy aftermarket stuff for it, you're gonna pay just as much as someone who bought it at full price.

Windows Server is an enterprise product with the usual enterprise trappings whether you paid $12 or nearly $7000 for it.

Anyway, as staff already pointed out, all you have to do to resolve the issue is contact them directly. I had to do the same myself with TeamViewer because I'm on their free tier but I have so many client instances they thought I was a business. Took a couple weeks but all is good now. That's an easy solution anyone can manage.

Nah Server Essentials is not an enterprise product. It's geared - and priced - towards small business and home users.

Just now, chrisgull said:

Nah Server Essentials is not an enterprise product. It's geared - and priced - towards small business and home users.

It's still priced at 501 USD ... unless you're a business or rich that's not cheap for an OS.

2 minutes ago, jdrch said:

It's still priced at 501 USD ... unless you're a business or rich that's not cheap for an OS.

It's somewhat substantial, sure - but less than the hardware it runs on. Just my server hard drive pool cost 3x that. 

I think the point here is that enterprise pricing is vastly different than small business or home pricing. Your link to Windows server pricing makes a good point - $501 license for Server Essentials, $6155 for Datacenter edition. Now that's enterprise pricing. 

On 5/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, 7H0M4S said:

I'd appreciate clarity from Resilio support on this topic...

I am a Sync Family Pro (paid) user. I use Sync on a laptop, some iOS devices, and a Synology DS918+ (INTEL Celeron J3455 CPU).

Does the fact that my family's NAS has a non-ARM CPU in it mean that my NAS will stop syncing with my paid Sync Family Pro license with the 2.7 upgrade?

Thanks,
Jeff