Latest Desktop Build 2.7.0

On 5/13/2020 at 4:08 AM, AOlives said:

Current Pro Home users, who have followed the rules, shouldn't lose functionality,

We should be grandfathered into server support.

I agree. I am a Sync Pro Home user with a small Windows Server that is kind of the family NAS, storing our photos, pictures and documents. I need nor want business functionality, business support, let alone business pricing. Yesterday I was using your product in a perfectly legal way and today all of a sudden I am not? That's cheating: it's changing the rules of the game after the match has started.

You know what? I would even consider buying (an upgrade to) a business license if that is what it takes (and it's reasonably priced), if only it were possible to buy exactly that: a one-time license instead of those awful recurring subscription fees that everyone seems to go for these days.

Heck, reason #1 I went the Bittorrent Sync route, is because I did *not* want a subscription! (Dropbox, Onedrive, Google drive, whatever.)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, M_Peror said:

I agree. I am a Sync Pro Home user with a small Windows Server that is kind of the family NAS, storing our photos, pictures and documents. I need nor want business functionality, business support, let alone business pricing. Yesterday I was using your product in a perfectly legal way and today all of a sudden I am not? That's cheating: it's changing the rules of the game after the match has started.

You know what? I would even consider buying (an upgrade to) a business license if that is what it takes (and it's reasonably priced), if only it were possible to buy exactly that: a one-time license instead of those awful recurring subscription fees that everyone seems to go for these days.

Heck, reason #1 I went the Bittorrent Sync route, is because I did *not* want a subscription! (Dropbox, Onedrive, Google drive, whatever.)

Since this "Windows Server Deprecation" starts with 2.7.0, I think the easiest way to solve this issue is, make a special version of "Resilio Sync Home for Windows Server", maybe 2.6.5, clearly notify user that

. This is the last working version for Resilio Sync Home (Free or Pro) running on Windows Server

. This version won't automatically ask for upgrading to 2.7+, and probably will never get updated

. It warns user that if they choose to upgrade to 2.7+ they will need proper license for Windows Server, and any newer version (2.7+) of Resilio Sync Home for Windows won't be able to install on Windows Server.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:20 PM, eltopo said:

"Resilio Sync Home for Windows Server", maybe 2.6.5

I can understand this idea, maybe is good. However, everyone should be aware that this is a temporary idea. Because Windows Server is also making progress and if a v2.6.5 is running reliably today, this version will also need updates for the adjustment at some point. It must be clear that this would no longer be possible and you are faced with the same situation again.

The question in the round would be what the readiness would then look like.

@Helen

1. When will the linux repo's be updated to 2.7.0? The Centos repo is still 2.6.3. It is my understanding you initially said linux x86/x64 wouldn't be supported anymore but I assume your edited post and release notes that specifically say Windows Servers no longer includes Linux OS so that Linux VPS' will continue to be supported?

2. Are there any known issues if Windows Server version 2.6.3 inter-operated with 2.7.0+ going forward? All the home users that used Resilio on cheap Windows VPS' ($25-$55/year) that are clearly not in the business or Enterprise game need to stick with 2.6.3 or move to other solutions.

Thanks

Edit: Also, please clarify if Windows 10 Enterprise is blacklisted as well. That truly is an Enterprise only OS, more so than the Server versions, actually.

Edited by Timbo
Win10 Enterprise question

On 5/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, chrisgull said:

FTR, your assumptions don't hold. I paid $12 on sale for my Windows Server 2016 Essentials license. Completely legal. I even called Microsoft to verify. List price was $399 for 2016, now $501 for 2019, but nobody seems to pay list price. Now, compare $12 - or $399, or $501 - over, say, five years to $1800 for Sync Business over five years.

Just to be clear, no, not "completely legal". All Microsoft can verify is that a key is valid, they cannot validate the license terms you're clearly breaking. Legal isn't defined by whether the key installs or not, its usage. You're not even being naive (ignorance is not a legal argument), just obtuse.

That being said, many IT people have home labs and access to technical subscriptions from Microsoft and can obtain legal licenses for cheap (no, not $12, either) that are NOT intended for production but testing and development purposes. Having access to Windows Essentials by an IT person is pretty common. But again, not intended for use in production.  If you don't understand anything I'm saying, the takeaway is that you're going to pay close to the MSRP to legally use Windows Server in "production environment" (home use is production if its not just used for test purposes).  All Microsoft cheap licenses are only intended for internal testing purposes. Full.Stop.

Resilio has several ways to enforce Business licenses on business usage.

Most companies just try and ensure the branding and the terms that is for home use and not in a business so that company employees know they are cheating Resilio. It's a shame and embarrassment move. Think you'll see HP or Microsoft using Resilio without a business license? Never.  Think you'll see this prevalent in India? Yes. But companies that have minimal users won't really care if anyone sees this branding, so it has little effect and Resilio has to burn it down completely.  Will this move turn non-paying business circumventors into paying? No.  Will it alienate the existing customer base that have only been using it for personal usage and have no funds or desire to pay $$$? Yes.

I will be losing Sync functionality with my Windows 2016 VPS' which means I'll be sticking with 2.6.3 on these until they run into some issue that requires me to move to another solution.

no, i never said that linux is not supported. Only Windows Servers are not supported for Sync Home. 

Packages will be pushed to repo later. Meanwhile, please please download the deb file and install manually.

Sync 2.6 and Sync 2.7 will work together. 

I updated one MacOS client to 2.7, the rest of the peers are all still 2.6.3 (actually 2.6.10) Every time I open Resilio, it says 0-Days left on the license, and toggles all my selective sync folders to full sync. If I remove license and re-add it, it works fine until I restart Resilio then it goes back to 0 Days Left

@Helen,

Unfortunately in this new release 2.7.0 the bug with TLS1.2 is not solved yet. 😞
the webgui is still not working in EDGE and IE with "forced HTTPS" and TLS1.2 enabled (in chrome and firefox it works) ;
by disabling TLS1.2 the webgui is working again  in IE11 and edge.
No errors displayed in EDGE or IE11 just a blanc paged is shown.

when will this be solved?
Alex did mention earlier in the discussion of version 2.6 you: next version, so this one

On 5/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, M_Peror said:

i think so too

On 5/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, M_Peror said:

I see that too. Those who have already used it illegally will continue to do so without scruple.

The only thing what you do. Let me describe what you do with the following words. You guys shot 10.000 innocent people a bullet in their head only to find that one who is guilty.

Hello everyone.

I've been using resilio now for quite a while (it was called btsync, remember?) , having an home pro license and upgraded to home pro family license a while ago.

With version 2.7.0 I'm not able to use my license on private windows server which I was before.  Maybe (edit: looks like you did) you decided to tell home and PRO business use apart by the OS one is using. I don't think would be fair. Of course I'm using resilio home pro family because I do have a lot of data to sync like media e.g. DNG / RAW photos oder backup files. If I wasn't using resilio with a lot and mostly large files, I would use some cloud service, which I did in the past (let's forget about privacy). So what if not for storing backups away from home at your brother's or parents house would I use resilio? 

Besides that it's nice to have a server at home, so everyone in the family household is able to use whatever computer / laptop to log on to without preparing every device again and again. So with 5 family household members alone, that - hint hint - home PRO FAMILY license came just right. Not anymore, though.

So, please reconsider. I would be even willing to pay for a 2 server usable license, like an upgrade or whatever. But having to buy a License for 20 or even up to 60 users for min. 10$ / user is a bit - I don't know, still looking for the right word. 

Now I feel like my "lifetime" license just died. I already sent a ticket, but looking at this thread shows, that I'm not the only one who feels, that he paid for a product which is no longer usable. I understand the product evolves, but that's here different. Having to kick out the two syncing server systems or buy a really high prices server license would be both really bad.

Unlike some other people here think, getting a license for server  that expensive, in the EU it's legal for sellers to (re)sell OEM or used licences to whatever price. In Germany the court ruled it legal. And using a server doesn't mean you're doing business with it or with resilio for that matter, it means, that maybe you're a PRO user ... hint hint:  home PRO licence.

Having the same issues as everyone else with Windows Server (use it for storage and syncing of mine and my family's personal files), I have the Pro license and even upgraded to the family Pro license since I was happy and wanted to support development, is there anything we can do?

License terms can be changed, but should apply to all new customers from the time of the change. If the installations and licenses were running on Windows Server before v2.7.0, it should do it again now, that's my opinion. Formally, it would probably be relatively easy to regulate over the used license. Otherwise, I wouldn't really know how the provision for Windows Server could be regulated precisely. There are also the guidelines

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205450995-Student-and-Nonprofit-licensing

over which exceptions could possibly be set up via the support. Any license that is purchased can also be verified. A company never buys software or licenses as a private person. Such an institution is usually already recognizable by name, e.g. the legal form, name extension, etc.

The fact that private persons run a Windows Server surely is shot at sparrows by cannons, there are different reasons for doing so - see all the posts. Windows Server is a professional tool in company environments and is also very widespread there. I can understand that the license regulation may look different, as for NAS, which are used more privately or agencies or small businesses.

Maybe an exception can be granted to those with Window Server who already have a license, can contact here or contact the support and can prove that they are private persons or that their establishment has a private character.

6 hours ago, isaacl said:

Having the same issues as everyone else with Windows Server (use it for storage and syncing of mine and my family's personal files), I have the Pro license and even upgraded to the family Pro license since I was happy and wanted to support development, is there anything we can do?

I'm sorry, but wasn't this question resolved for you in support Ticket #113245 on may 13th? 

@Andy+ please contact support or DM me with some details about your usecase on servers. I'll see what we can do for you here. Thanks.

@Helen, thanks, is not for me, because I doesnt use Window Server, I have different Synology NAS, Windows computers and Smartphones and with my licenses all is running well, also Android APP in this moment, was not so good in the past.

Its only regarding the privat people are using Windows Server and have no solution for now.

Hi,

Honestly - what did you do?!?

I'm a home user - i have paid licenses and have been you ever since its was bittorrent sync - i bought a home pro license and upgraded to family etc.

I honestly dont need the business features - i just need this damn thing to sync and do it well.

I happend to run a Windows Server 2012 R2 license that i use as a remote desktop server for my family (eg. whenever my mom (1600km away from me) trashes her home laptop, she can still get a working solution by logging into a limited desktop on my server.

As for 2.7 i can no longer use it this way and honestly - I DO NOT WANT A SUBSCRIPTION - (atleast privately) - I AM NOT A BUSINESS user just because i have a home server - shame on you!

Your should prior to this have reached out to your customers and offered a free upgrade for existing users - this kind of behavior is the reason people like me left dropbox, google drive etc and thought btsync/rsync was a safe heaven.