Debian And Ubuntu Server Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Hi @tuxpoldo,

Ā 

Is there any way to reset the WebUI password from a shell prompt? 6 months+ ago, the package configuration wizard would ask you for a username and password, which you could use to reset it. But it no longer asks for that... how can I reset it now?

Ā 

Ā 

Regards,

hey guys,

i have updated to the new 1.4 version and cannot access the webgui anymore. what happend? Maybe it has something to do with SSL? But https:// in front of my url doens't work. What can I do?

thanks for the help,

jaithn

Ā 

Be default, access to the Web UI in Sync 1.4 is restricted to the loopback interface (i.e. "localhost" / "127.0.0.1")

Ā 

If you need to access the Web UI via a different URL/IP, you'll need to specify it in your config file (via the "listen" parameter)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to reset the WebUI password from a shell prompt? 6 months+ ago, the package configuration wizard would ask you for a username and password, which you could use to reset it. But it no longer asks for that... how can I reset it now?

Ā 

You can reset it by specifying it temporarily in the configuration file. Some settings were removed from debconf, since they can be set from the GUI and settings them in the configuration file would create an inconsistent situation (like changing the password in the UI and then wondering that after reboot the password has been reverted).

Ā 

This is the procedure for resetting the password:

Ā 

1. Stop the btsync daemon
  2. Edit the configuration file and add in the "webui" section the "login" and "password" parameters
  3. Start the btsync daemon and stop it again
  4. Remove the "login" and "password" parameters
  5. Start the btsync daemon

Ā 

Now you have reset the password to the value you wrote in the configuration file.

i saw that a new version of bittorrent has come out.

I wanted to ask if i can help to test/package the new version

Ā 

Unfortunately it was not a matter of testing. It was solely the fact that I was tremendously busy during the last two weeks (work days of 12-14 hours). But the waiting has finished: I updated the btsync-common package to 1.4.93 right now. As usually the LaunchPad PPA will take longer...

Unfortunately it was not a matter of testing. It was solely the fact that I was tremendously busy during the last two weeks (work days of 12-14 hours). But the waiting has finished: I updated the btsync-common package to 1.4.93 right now. As usually the LaunchPad PPA will take longer...

Ā 

Thanks a lot, if one day you need some help, just ask me

Not sure if this has been reported, but I guess the package-scripts are a bit to strict.

Ā 

The service is restarted twice. This won't harm the server, but it will delay updates unnecessary, and it will cause some network traffic because it will announce itself and immediately disconnect again.

Ā 

It also seems to be starting two instances, no idea why...

Ā 

See the output of an upgrade below:

Ā 

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
Ā  btsync-common
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,929 kB of archives.
After this operation, 15.4 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/tuxpoldo/btsync/ubuntu/ precise/main btsync-common amd64 1.4.93-1 [3,929 kB]
Fetched 3,929 kB in 0s (6,808 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 289762 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace btsync-common 1.4.83-1 (using .../btsync-common_1.4.93-1_amd64.deb) ...
eUnpacking replacement btsync-common ...
Processing triggers for btsync ...
Ā * Stopping btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]
Ā * Autostarting btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]
Ā * Autostarting btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]
Setting up btsync-common (1.4.93-1) ...
Processing triggers for btsync ...
Ā * Stopping btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]
root@michelangelo:~#
Ā 

It also seems to be starting two instances, no idea why...

Processing triggers for btsync ...Ā * Stopping btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]Ā * Autostarting btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]Ā * Autostarting btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]Setting up btsync-common (1.4.93-1) ...Processing triggers for btsync ...Ā * Stopping btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]Ā * Autostarting btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]Ā * Autostarting btsync instance 'michael' Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [ OK ]root@michelangelo:~#

I noticed this ****ing *hit since a few releases and I'm quite angry about it. But don't worry: the scripts are so careful about process control, that only one instance is started. I'm still investigating it, but since it has no real consequences, I currently consider it a minor problem... In any case... let's go the correct way: see Issue #166

Ā 

I had the same upgrade experience as michaelarnauts. It's a small nuisance, that caused me to waste some time trying to verify that I wasn't running two instances.

C'mon Dude! Are you kidding? "Waste some time" to do a

ps ax | grep btsync

?

I know about this ****ing *hit. Don't worry. The scripts are so careful about process control, that only one instance is started. I'm still investigating about it, but since it has no consequence, I'll consider it a minor problem... In any case... let's go the correct way. See Issue #166

C'mon Dude! Are you kidding? "Waste some time" to do a

ps ax | grep btsync
?
Hey man, it's cool. I was just pointing this out to help you make your product even better. I'm a very happy btsync user, and your work regarding the packaging is absolutely vital and well appreciated. The phrase "Waste some time" was only used to build a case why the message was a "small nuisance". I assumed you where interested in some basic UX-feedback.

No need to blow a fuse. You might scare off the next bug reporter.

Hey man, it's cool. I was just pointing this out to help you make your product even better. I'm a very happy btsync user, and your work regarding the packaging is absolutely vital and well appreciated. The phrase "Waste some time" was only used to build a case why the message was a "small nuisance". I assumed you where interested in some basic UX-feedback.

No need to blow a fuse. You might scare off the next bug reporter.

Ā 

Sorry. I did not want to be offensive against you. If this was your impression: please take my apologies. But I never said, the problem is not existing: the problem is there and now we have also a trackable issue. I cannot imagine a better confirmation that bug reports will be taken seriously. But you should be aware of the fact, that if you exaggerate in a user driven forum saying "waste of time" when you are talking about ps ax | grep btsync, you might expect also an answer that may be a little exaggerated... The next time I will add a smiley to make sure that I'm not going to be misunderstood.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an issue where folders which contains DanishĀ characters (ƦĆøĆ„), are not being synced.Ā 

Ā 

I think this issue:Ā https://github.com/tuxpoldo/btsync-deb/issues/16Ā is identical to what I am experiencing, anyone who knows if it is possible (without much experince) to fix this at the moment?

When searching more I found this:Ā http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/32377-latest-desktop-build-1499/

Ā 

Hmm, maybe I should remove the deb and try the Gzip way.

I have an issue where folders which contains DanishĀ characters (ƦĆøĆ„), are not being synced.

This is a known issue with 1.4.93 - it is fixed for 1.4.99.

Please be patient, 1.4.99 was only released yesterday - Tuxpoldo hasn't had chance to update his packages to this latest build yet - which he does in his spare time.

Sorry that I was impatient. ā˜ŗ

I have spend some time getting Samba, Owncloud and NFS to understand the Danish characters, and I got a bit frustrated when BitTorrent Sync had an issue I could not understand at first hand.

Great work by Tuxpoldo!

Edited by Jacob_DK

Is it possible to rename a peer by changing the value of "device_name" in the user .conf file?
I created my first 2 instances but I used "device_name": "Firstname Lastname". Since users will see this in their Peers list, I want to change it to RaspberryPi@citycode-Firstname. But it is now already syncing and I do not want to mess it up.

Has anyone tried to install the package on a Cubox-i with GeeXBoX? There is a BTSync.opkg available in their repository but it is not this headless version. I don't really know yet where to start if I want to install this on GeeXBox.

Ā 

You are in the wrong thread. This thread applies to the Debian/Ubuntu and derived distributions packages. Please ask your question in the BitTorrent Sync for NAS forum.

Ā 

Hi tuxpoldo

Ā 

Can we get news for the lastest updates, especially btsync-user

Ā 

Regards

Ā 

Since the indicator is not supported any more by the originating developer, there will be no more versions of the btsync-user package. You can upgrade to the newer btsync-gui package (See related thread) or wait for the next version of btsync-gui that will be installed automatically for people still on btsync-user.

Ā 

Is it possible to rename a peer by changing the value of "device_name" in the user .conf file?

I created my first 2 instances but I used "device_name": "Firstname Lastname". Since users will see this in their Peers list, I want to change it to RaspberryPi@citycode-Firstname. But it is now already syncing and I do not want to mess it up.

Ā 

Yes. You can do that. But if you are talking about the Debconf-maintained default instance, there is no device_name setting any more in the configuration file. You can change the device name directly from the Web UI.

Ā 

What's happened with tuxpoldo?

He seems to be quite seldom here in the forum....

Ā 

Sorry for that. Mainly this is due to two factors:

1. I have a new job and (as usual) it's a 12-14 hours job. And as a consequence my spare time is very reduced.
  2. In the last weeks I had a lot of trouble with aĀ bereavement in my family.

The GeeXBoX distribution is based on OpenBricks and the devs already created a BTSync package, I wanted to have one like yours without UI support, with instances and webUI support. Perhaps this is not that hard to do by copying your init script.. just not sure how you disabled the UI.

I will check with the dev from GeeXBoX first, he is already working on a how to guide to help others create OpenBricks packages. with your permission I would like to give it a try to create something like your package for this platform.