Supported NAS

For anyone, like myself, who may have had difficulty trying to get Bittorrent Sync working on a Zyxel NSA 325, I followed these instructions here to install the fonz fun-plugin:

http://yetiblog1337.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/installing-fonz-fun_plug-onto-the-nsa-325v2/

From the Zyxel Server (ftp://ftp.zyxel-tech.de/NSA325-v2/4.40/zypkg/)I also downloaded the Bittorrent Sync Package btsync_1.2.73_arm_003.zpkg and installed as per the instructions below to install the fonz-fun-plugin.

• Download ffp_0.7_arm_004.zpkg from the Zyxel FTP server. This is the package which will be installed via the package manager.
  • Download the ZYPKGS from the same FTP server. This is a configuration file which contains the installable packages. Usually this file will be downloaded from the Zyxel-servers along with the packages.
  • As we do not want the automatic download of the ZYPKGS (and therefore our file being overwritten), the internet connection of the NAS needs to be disconnected (do not disconnect it from the LAN, as we need to access it via the web-interface)
  • Now put the 2 files onto the NAS. If you named your storage ‘Volume1′, as it is by default, you need to put it into the following path:\\...\Volume1\admin\zy-pkgs\
  • At last we need to install the package: Visit your web-interface, enter the management area and see if there is the ffp package available in your package list. Again: Disconnect your internet connection. If the installation stops at 5% and the list rebuilds without FFP being in the list anymore, you downloaded a new ZYPKGS file from the web.

Bittorrent Sync web GUI can be accessed at http://YOUR-NAS-IP:8888

igboo,

It looks like your glibc version is too old. Try checking glibc version, we have a special build for linux with glibc 2.3 the oldest on our download site.

To find the glibc version you can run "ldd --version" command or find your libc.so.* file and running it.

ldd tells me my glibc version is 2.3.6.

c# ldd --versionldd (GNU libc) 2.3.6Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

The linux versions compiled for 2.3 don't do me any good.  I'm trying to run on an ARM cpu.

What version glibc is required for the ARM binary?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would add to the list the WD MyCloud family: I am using BtSync app on the WD MyCloud EX2 (using the app for ARM), but I know of people using it on MyCloud and on MyCloud EX4.

Install is pretty straightforward, the only issue is the limited options available on the WebGUI. Of course one could install the btsync.bin with the .config and tweak the config options there, but it would be great to have more - if not all - the options available on GUI.

I say this because the WD MyCloud devices (at least my EX2 device, but others complain too) do not sleep when btsync is running... and perhaps the only way of allowing the device to sleep is to set a higher value for folder_rescan_interval (which one can set only on the .config file).

Finally, it would be great if BitTorrent and WD get along and cook up an app specific for the devices MyCloud EX4 and EX2, whose dashboards now have a page dedicated to installing third party apps... but perhaps I am just dreaming...

SEAGATE GOFLEX HOME SUCCESS!!!

1TB NAS drive with firmware 2.7.1 is currently backing stuff up!!

Short HOWTO:

1. Download and extract Bttorrent Sync ARM version on to your local machine

2. Make an App folder on goflex 

3. Drag your local extracted btsync file into the folder you just made

4. ssh into goflex (someone else has posted how)

5. navigate to the  btsync file ( cd /home/user . . . use TAB autocomplete for ease )

6. type ./bitsync (no messages are displayed it just runs in background)

7. Open Web browser to goflex IP port 8888 ( ie: 192.168.1.123:8888)

8  Web page will ask you to make admin password and agree to terms and you are good to go.

*You have to restart sync if your goflex restarts (someone else has posted how to auto start)

A very good discussion indeed.

Would this work on A Windows Server machine, specfically a HP MediaSmart Server running the Windows Home Server OS.  Nice little machine, but no video card. Would love to re-image this with something else.

MIght give the NAS4FREE a try on some new hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why Synology uses so old libc. we need newer one to use ionotify, to have realtime information about changed files. We will look to the option to release a build without ionotify, directory will be rescanned every n seconds. Then we will run on older versions.

I'm considering buying a Synology Disk Station DS412+.  The post above is a year old. Are old libc's still an issue or has this been resolved?

Or let me ask this question, if I buy a DS412+ do I just installed BT Sync and its easy peesy, or do I have to hack the box and fool around with stuff to make it work.  Sorry I am a internetworking guy, not a server/os guy.  :P   I just want to buy something that I can put BT Sync on, maybe regular BT, and I need a few other features like FTP, SMB, ans DLNA.

Thanks again.

Packet Man

SEAGATE GOFLEX HOME SUCCESS!!!

1TB NAS drive with firmware 2.7.1 is currently backing stuff up!!

Short HOWTO:

1. Download and extract Bttorrent Sync ARM version on to your local machine

2. Make an App folder on goflex 

3. Drag your local extracted btsync file into the folder you just made

4. ssh into goflex (someone else has posted how)

5. navigate to the  btsync file ( cd /home/user . . . use TAB autocomplete for ease )

6. type ./bitsync (no messages are displayed it just runs in background)

7. Open Web browser to goflex IP port 8888 ( ie: 192.168.1.123:8888)

8  Web page will ask you to make admin password and agree to terms and you are good to go.

*You have to restart sync if your goflex restarts (someone else has posted how to auto start)

I got it running on my Go Flex easy peesy.  Can someone tell me how to set it up so that it autostarts when the device power/boots up ?

Kos13, you can add the Seagate Goflex Nas to the list of supported devices. As a linux-noob, I spend quite some time in figuring out how to make it work. A step by step guide:

1. Download Putty and connect to the nas by using the NAS' ip.

2. Login with the following username (leave out the brackets):

[ADMIN_ACCOUNT_NAME]_hipserv2_seagateplug_XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ-AAAA@[NAS_IP]

[ADMIN_ACCOUNT_NAME] = the admin account of the NAS. Whilst setting up the Seagate Goflex you had to make an admin account. Use the name of this account.

XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ-AAAA = the product key of you NAS. You can find it at the bottom of your NAS device. Use CAPITALS!

[NAS_IP] = the ip address of your NAS. You can find it at the Seagate Dashboard or your router.

Example username: president_hipserv2_seagateplug_QWER-ASDF-ZXCV-ERTY@192.168.1.25

For the password, use the password that belongs to the admin account.

3. Gain root access. You need this to install software and create files on you Seagate Goflex NAS.

sudo -E -s

The prompt will show that the connection is refused, but it is lying :D.

4. Create a directory for the bittorrent sync software and go to this directory:

mkdir ~/.btsync && cd ~/.btsync

5. Download and unpack the software:

wget http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/btsync_arm.tar.gztar xvfz btsync_arm.tar.gz

6. Go to the directory and run the bittorent sync software:

cd ~/.btsyncsudo ./btsync

The prompt will show you something like this (your pid will be different):

BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 3003

7. Navigate with your webbrowser to: [NAS]_IP:8888

Congratulations! You can configure Bittorent Sync.

When the power of your NAS fails, the Seagate Goflex will have to reboot. Unfortunately, Bittorrent Sync does not auto-start. You can make Bittorrent Sync automatically start up by following the next steps in the Putty terminal:

8.Create a script that you can call whilst booting:

vi /etc/init.d/btsync

9. In this script, write the following lines:

#! /bin/sh# /etc/init.d/btsync## Carry out specific functions when asked to by the systemcase "$1" instart)    /USERACCOUNT/.btsync/btsync --config /USERACCOUNT/.btsync/btsync.conf    ;;stop)    killall btsync    ;;*)    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/btsync {start|stop}"    exit 1    ;;esacexit 0

Press the escape button. Type : and then x to save the file.

10. To allow the script to be called during startup, proper rights have to be assigned to it:

chmod 755 /etc/init.d/btsync

11. Add the script to the startup list:

/sbin/chkconfig --add btsync/sbin/chkconfig --levels 2345 btsync on

12. Reboot the NAS to see if it works after a restart. You can restart under preferences at the Seagate Share utility. Ofcourse, you can also just turn off the device and turn it on again.

All done except step 11. When I try I get this message:

"service btsync does not support chkconfig"

All done except step 11. When I try I get this message:

"service btsync does not support chkconfig"

This happens because chkconfig reads the startup script named btsync and can't find the line which 

starts with "# chkconfig:".

Example:

#! /bin/sh

# /etc/init.d/btsync

# chkconfig: 2345 80 05

Numbers after "# chkconfig" provides information about set of levels on which daemon should run and start\kill priorities that should be used.

Hope this will help :)

This happens because chkconfig reads the startup script named btsync and can't find the line which 

starts with "# chkconfig:".

Example:

#! /bin/sh

# /etc/init.d/btsync

Numbers after "# chkconfig" provides information about set of levels on which daemon should run and start\kill priorities that should be used.

Hope this will help :)

Nope afraid not. :(

This is exactly how my script looks at the moment:

bash-3.2# pwd

/etc/init.d

bash-3.2# more btsync

#! /bin/sh

# /etc/init.d/btsync

# Carry out specific functions when asked to by the system

case "$1" in

start)

/administrator/btsync_arm/btsync --config /administrator/btsync_arm/btsync.conf

;;

stop)

killall btsync

;;

*)

echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/btsync {start|stop}"

exit 1

;;

esac

exit 0

bash-3.2#

So I just discovered that I don't see btsync.conf  in /administrator/btsync_arm/.  Could that be the cause of my problem? Am I supposed to create this manually or should the program itself have created it.

Sorry for nagging, but I spent a couple hours trying to fix this on my own. My basic Unix/Linux skills are 20 years rusty old. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for nagging, my last attempt. :blink:

I cannot get past step 11 for Seagate GoFlex. I keep getting ""service btsync does not support chkconfig" when trying to do the "/sbin/chkconfig --add btsync" step.

I have farted around with this, and always get same response. I'm looking at building my own NAS, but for now I'd really like to get power up BT sync running.

Is there something else I should specifically be checking to verify mistakes else where?

Thanks again,

PacketMan

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks in part to this thread, I was able to get btsync installed and running on my WD My Cloud Mirror 8TB. I set up one synchronized folder as a test, and also tested the camera roll backup from the Btsync iOS client.

It worked great for a couple days, but then randomly btsync stopped running. The webserver (port 8888) wasn't responding, and when logging in via SSH I could verify that btsync was no longer in /usr/bin where I had placed it, and my /etc/init.d/btsync was also no longer there. 

Thinking it was a glitch, I reinstalled, set up my folders again, and all was good for another day or two and then the same thing happened, it seems that somehow my modifications are getting clobbered. Perhaps the drive reboots itself (I have it set to not sleep)? Is it something to do with the way the RAID works between the two drives? Is /usr or /etc off-limits? Should I put btsync in /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog, does that protect it? And if so, how do I make sure btsync restarts after a reboot?

Anyone have any suggestions? 

@bof

Thanks for the thought - I checked and indeed I did have automatic firmware updates on. So I disabled that feature, copied my init script to /etc/init.d, made sure it was executable, started it, and then rebooted the My Cloud Mirror to see what would happen. Upon reboot, I logged in via SSH, and looked in /etc/init.d and the script is no longer there and the 8888 port does not respond. 

Any other thoughts? Is this perhaps an oddity of the "Mirror" version of My Cloud?