[Now Implemented!] Bandwidth/sync Scheduling

MrSigma

Add me to the list of people who would like a schedule.  Currently, I have BTSync running as a Windows service, then I have a batch file that starts the service and one that stops the service, and then I have each of those batch files scheduled to run at certain times using the Windows task scheduler.  Works for now, but it would be nice if it was built into the app...

• 2 weeks later...

another +1 for scheduler.

Like many others, we currently have restricted bandwidth during the day and have a lot of other web applications in use, I would rather let BTSync run full speed out of office hours and switch it off during office hours.

Keep up the great work :)

I too would really like a schedular for BitTorrent Sync. Even better would be the ability to schedule particular shares to go at different times. That would be particularly useful if there is a small critical folder than you want to keep updated regularly throughout the day but a large folder that you'd rather have sync over night when you're not going to be browsing the internet and your ISP's download/upload limits aren't as strict/enforced at all.

For me personally, this would make the app absolutely perfect!

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for scheduler. One of the reasons I use BitTorrent Sync is synchronizing of games' saves between different computers. The problem is that some games perform saving very often, so, because of real time synchronization BitTorrent Sync is always busy with synchronizing of that files. Scheduling mechanism would fit just perfect for that purpose, without need to check all the folders in real time mode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I just registered. Let me first say I adore BTsync. It works flawlessly on my Synology DS212j. Thanks for all your work on this great software.

Here's my request: Quiet hours. Right now, my NAS never sleeps since BTsync is enabled. I would love an option in Sync to set 'quiet hours', a period of time in which Sync completely pauses all activity.

Is something like this possible? :)

Best regards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've searched and have not found this feature or how to do it. My setup is this (with a Pro account).

I have 7 folders syncing between several machines. 5 of them rarely change and are all synced up and only increase in size once a month or so. One folder is used to back up all my machines throughout the day, this folder constantly changes. And one changes daily, but is not relavent to my question.

The back up folder I would like to have it sync during the night while the other 6 can sync constantly. Since 2 of my machines are at work, when they sync during the day it saturates our connection. My solution so far has been to limit my speeds during the day and unrestrict it at night. This works, but is tedious, and if I forget it's either throttled all night, or Internet at work is slow until I get in.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So Sync is great, but works best when it's got lots of bandwidth available, however, for a portable machine like a laptop it's possible you may end up on a network where downloading large files is frowned upon, such as a public or work WiFi network.

Now, I know it's fairly easy to pause Sync, but I sometimes forget, so what I'd really like to be able to do is have Sync automatically start/pause. There are two main mechanisms that I'd like to see:

• Schedule: Simple mechanism would be to have Sync pause between certain times, such as my working day, with options to apply it to different days (so I could leave weekends unrestricted).
  • Location: This is the more complex, but possibly the more useful, mechanism. Basically Sync would be able to register a list of preferred networks, and will automatically pause when it isn't connected to one of these. So for example I could register my home network, plus any other networks where it's okay for me to download large files.

Ideally both of these would be configurable on a per-folder basis, so I could have large folders set to only download when connected to preferred networks, but leave less demanding folders unrestricted so they'll sync anywhere at any time.

Automatic pause/unpause of Sync is technically possible via script, and this is much easier for setting a schedule (by simply closing/opening Sync as required), but I think it would be beneficial to see integrated into the Sync app itself, particular as this would give the option of limiting only certain folders, rather than all or nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding my voice in for a scheduled sync option, especially if it's intelligent enough to pause a running sync when outside the scheduled window. I'm trying to sync between a FreeNAS box and a Drobo on my local LAN, and the Drobo is just under-spec'd enough hardware wise that if I try to do other things with it while it's syncing things get laggy/buggy. I'd want to have it run overnight between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., for example.

• 2 months later...

This might sound counter-intuitive to the "sync quickly" nature of the product, but it would be a tremendous addition to Sync to be able to control a delay factor on individual folders, and for individual devices.

For example, I have a backup repository that I am syncing with a primary repository, and it would be helpful to delay the sync by a day, or maybe 12 hours.  That way I can fix mistakes or do multiple updates to files without triggering an immediate sync.

Thanks for considering!

+1 for schedule feature

I have a folder whose files are modified many and many and many times in a day. So I do not want a continuous synchronization that wastes or saturates my bandwith in vain. I need a scheduled synchronization that, for example, send all the modified files to a remote device during the night, or once a day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...