Introducing Sync 2.2

We have updated FAQ http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/2113928

Q: If I purchase a non-subscription license for personal use, does this include product updates and upgrades?

A: Non-subscription Sync Pro licenses include all product updates within a given product version. 

Upgrade releases contain functional enhancements and must be purchased separately unless you have an active subscription license.

A: Non-subscription Sync Pro licenses include all product updates within a given product version. 

Upgrade releases contain functional enhancements and must be purchased separately unless you have an active subscription license.

"product version" == major version number I hope, as it was said before it covers 2.x releases.

Well, they are always free to increase the major number for rather minor improvements if they want to introduce a new licence of course..

Hi,

I just tried to support you on the new 2.2 Pro - but I think your paypal is not setup for one time payments. :) 

Can you please ask your guys to setup paypal NOT to require a "perceptual" fully approved drain in my Paypal account? That should only happen on subscriptions.  (actually never unless EXPLICITLY chosen by consumer) 

I do not really want to give you access to withdraw anytime you want at your discretion. I know I can delete your permission after buying - but I do find it very intrusive to enter into a "kind of" automatic renewal agreement without me asking for it - especially when the product I'm buying is not a subscription!

/k

You disappointed me gravely with the subscription business model and the broken promise of retaining 1.4 functionality (10 folder limit).

The 2.2 release has renewed my faith in this company. I look forward to buying pro. There is just a minor issue I would like to clarify, I posted my question on the forum. I won't ask it here, since I don't want to steer the thread off-topic.

Thank you for listening to the community.

@patoka: I asked something similar on September 17.

I'm squeaking along on 1.4, but would upgrade to support the project IF I could be shown how to do it--step by step upgrade instructions, say--without all of the grief reported by 2.0 adopters.

The ONLY response I received was from another user who said, "If [1.4] working fine, I would stick with it." What distresses me is that it was the only response. I could have easily dismissed it if the Admin had responded with an appropriate link. But, no one did despite having responded to a query posted after mine. I find that silence deafening.

@patoka

As 1.3 and 1.4 are betas, there are no charts comparing features or something alike. The most important / noticeable changes for Free version would be bugfixes and unified JS-based UI. For bugfixes you can search forums - 1.4 contains change logs in forum topics tagged with "build". Change log for 2.xx here.

@JerryWithaJ

Technically, Sync 2.x was designed to do upgrade from 1.4. Just shut down your 1.x Sync and start 2.x. All folders will stay as "classic" or "standard" (depending on minor version of 2.x Sync) folders. Identity will stay unchanged.

Indeed, community members reported issues during upgrade. There are bugs in Sync 1.x which sometimes cause changes in the database, representing the folder - which stay after upgrade and can behave differently in 2.0. We've fixed all that we've managed to identify, although I can't claim that we've fixed all the 100% of issues.

There is always a way to install 2.x from scratch - just remove your 1.4 with all the data, install 2.0 and add all folders as classic ones.

But, no one did despite having responded to a query posted after mine. I find that silence deafening.

The Support team is doing its best to answer as many forum topics as possible, although we can't be everywhere. The primary target of a forum - is a place for community members to talk and help each other (including Sync Staff, but not limited to). If you want to draw our attention to something - PM me. Or contact support directly.

Thanks!  I sent my concerns to Support. 

I understand that not every thread can be monitored.  However, when the information is not readily available on the website, all that is needed is a link if there is one, and there are responses to queries posted after one's own, it isn't totally unreasonable to think that there is nothing to be said.

I'd been using BTSync since the early days.  Yes, I didn't like the annual fee or the 10 folder limit on free, but it was the issues that users seemed to have when trying to upgrade that had me hold back. Now, I;m so deeply entrenched in 1.4 (1 desktop, 4 laptops, 1 smartphone, a half dozen tablets), that it would be nice to hear that I can upgrade without having to jump through hoops to keep my devices talking with each other.

@patoka

There were some issues after we introduced managed (advanced) folders and "My Devices". Though, several last releases are dedictated to stability and improving core functionality, so 2.2.3 looks very good from support POV.

@JerryWithaJ

I understand your concerns and urge to get some promise from us that your upgrade is going to be smooth and shiny, but I can't give you such statement: the 1.4 has number of issues and as some of them could reside in database.

What I can promise, is that you get guidance from Sync Support and timely help in case if something goes wrong (we see your ticket and will take care of you).

Existing personal users will be able to convert to this pricing model.

Could you expand on this? I am a bit confused regarding the new licensing. I bought a subscription license back when 2.0 was first released and would like to convert it to a perpetual personal license. How do I do this?

Does it get converted automatically or do I need to wait until this license expires (March 2016) and then buy a perpetual license?

I bought a subscription license back when 2.0 was first released and would like to convert it to a perpetual personal license. How do I do this?

Does it get converted automatically or do I need to wait until this license expires (March 2016) and then buy a perpetual license?

Please go to https://www.getsync.com/buy/upgrade to upgrade your license.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found that you changed the pricing model. Thank you for listening to users' requests. I have stayed with 1.4 so far, but am thinking about giving 2.2 a try. Setting up and going back takes some time, so I have a question about how 2.2 sync works.

In 1.4 the sync method used to be folder to folder sync, but it is now device to device sync. Let's say I have three devices, and want to sync three folders. Device 1 has folders A and B. Device 2 has B and C. Device 3 has A and C. I do not want folder C to exist in Device 1 at all (similar for devices 2 and 3).

To make this sync work, do I need a Pro version (selective sync) or can free version handle this? Thank you.

I just found that you changed the pricing model. Thank you for listening to users' requests. I have stayed with 1.4 so far, but am thinking about giving 2.2 a try. Setting up and going back takes some time, so I have a question about how 2.2 sync works.

In 1.4 the sync method used to be folder to folder sync, but it is now device to device sync. Let's say I have three devices, and want to sync three folders. Device 1 has folders A and B. Device 2 has B and C. Device 3 has A and C. I do not want folder C to exist in Device 1 at all (similar for devices 2 and 3).

To make this sync work, do I need a Pro version (selective sync) or can free version handle this? Thank you.

No, you don't need Pro. The free version creates 1.4-style folders, and works exactly as 1.4 since 2.2 (except that you can be invited to new-style folders). The Pro version gives you access to some extra features, such as 2.0-style shares (where you can modify permissions in hindsight, etc.) and selective sync.