Android stops syncing, requires phone restart to fix.

Andyjbm

i will notice after an indeterminate number of days that my Android sync stops syncing. On examination I see that it isn't connected to peers, and doesn't seem to want to try. If I close the app it hangs on exit with a shutdown banner and spinner. Requires phone restart to get rid of the spinner and fix the syncing. All becomes good when the phone comes backup.

Htc10 on nougat. The other sync devices are a debian based box and a windows 7 laptop which behave without issue. 

All devices  version 2.6.3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

Update:

This seems to be happening every day now. Photos I took yesterday had synced after the phone restart but this morning's photos didn't. A quick look at resilio on the phone showed that it wasn't connected to any peers and nothing I tried would get it to connect.

A restart of the phone sets of syncing again without any other intervention.

I'm not having any other trouble with the phone. No other problem apps.

Any ideas anyone? How to go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Andy.

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

So during a last ditch attempt to get this working before uninstalling and moving on I noticed that I'd denied the android camera permission for the app. For giggles I force closed the app, gave it camera permissions and restarted it. Sync began syncing almost straight away. That's the 1st time I've ever got it out of this hole without a phone restart.

We will see how life progresses, but it would appear that if you deny camera permission then it bricks the app. That's on a HTC10 running nougat.

Andy.

Hi,

Update: Today three days after giving Resilio Camera permissions and it is still syncing without an android reboot. However I did have to open the app to kick it in to life.

I was not expecting that denying camera permission would stop the app from syncing! But whatever. It would have been nice for it to tell me.

Is there any way of making Resilio sync in the background without me having to open the app on android for a sync to take place?

Thanks,

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have kind of the same problem. Though I don't have to restart the phone, only force close the app and restart it. But it already has camera permissions. When you say "have to open the app", do you mean them same thing I have to do, to force a restart of the app?

Something really freezes inside the app, as the app's own Exit button in the menu does nothing. Or, it starts to close, but it never finishes, hence the force close.

Hi @ajp_anton,

I just meant that I had to launch it. However I think all the celebrations was a bit to early. Resilio hasn't synced since 9th May. I'm here on the same network as the primary device it syncs with and it can't see any peers. Zilch.

And yes, exiting the app via menu / exit results in the shutting down message that spirals forever/ force close/ restart the phone. Longest I waited was 12 hours overnight.

Can nobody get a sync app to work? Syncthing can't sync to sdcard (way to go google (pun intended)). Waiting for nextcloud to get delta update implemented then I'll be trying that again(again).

Sigh. Andy.

• 2 months later...

Any chance there is an Ubuntu machine participating in the 'swarm'.  I have been stuck with my own Android issue (see my post) and only by trying (for the sake of trying) I stopped the one Ubuntu machine and poof my LG (Android) phone started syncing. I'm still monitoring but so far so good.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:35 AM, PacketMan said:

Any chance there is an Ubuntu machine participating in the 'swarm'.  I have been stuck with my own Android issue (see my post) and only by trying (for the sake of trying) I stopped the one Ubuntu machine and poof my LG (Android) phone started syncing. I'm still monitoring but so far so good.

Hi there,

My group consists of a couple Lenovo thinkpads running Win10 and win7 and my always on NAS built with openmediavault based on debian stretch.

And my android phone of course. HTC10 on oreo.

Can't turn off the NAS. That's the whole point of the sync setup. The phone and laptops don't have relationships that share with each other - they all share each with the NAS only.

Andy.

• 1 month later...

My Ubuntu machine was not turned off or removed permanently. After everything else was in sync I turned it back on and it was good to go.  I have been a 'BTsync' user since day one. One day 1 it was rock solid, but a little time afterwards they made some sort of fundamental change and since then sync has a ghost or two in it that they just can't seem to resolve. I find sometimes the only way is to rebuild the sync share: meaning delete it from every machine, delete ther .sync folder, create a new crypto key on one machine, let it finish indexing, and then repeat on the other machines.

• 1 month later...

Same problem on Samsung NoteEdge and Note 8. After starting the APP the peers are conntected and sync is running, after closing the whole screen of Smartphone and reopening it, for a reconnection of peers a closing and reopening of APP is needed.

Sometimes is frozen, so a restarting of Smartphone is needed.

All this effects I have on both types.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok Folks,

So an update some 10 months after I opened this thread.

might have found the problem. Jury's out but looking good so far.

tl;dr My SD Card was broken. This was a Samsung Evo Plus (not +) 128gb - a pretty high spec card with a 5 year warranty that's not even half way through.

So about 3 months ago (note this was still some 7 months after I started this thread) I noticed that the phone in general was less responsive than it used to be and particularly voice navigation commands. Google would take ages to acknowledge and then ages to open up Maps. Google maps in general was slow to open up but aok once it had done so.

I just thought "Hey tired phone and so much stuff on there - after Christmas I'll hard reset/buy new phone etc etc" and just put up with the problem for the time being.

Then last week I was looking for a photo on my SD card only to discover my SD card was not present. Removing/Reinserting android took ages to "Prepare SD Card, Checking for errors." only to give up.

I put the card in a PC. The PC saw everything fine. Backed up the card. Fine. (I'd another backup anyway - I'll get to that later.)

Then tried a chkdsk. There were errors on the volume bitmap. And chkdsk couldn't fix them.

I tried deleting a few folders of things I didn't need. It took ages. Then on one operation, the card disaapeared from windows and then reappeared.

At this point I've lost confidence in the card and did a diff on the card and a diff on my backup of the card I've been performing manually with Resilio sync once a week and then disabling it. All was good except for one mp3 deep in my music collection that had bitrot on a dozen or so bytes on the copy I'd just lifted from the card.

The end of the story is that I've replaced the card with a Sandisk Extreme 128gb for £26 from Amazon and the phone is like a new device! Not had to reset it or anything. Google maps back up to pace. and Resilio sync has been active for 48 hours with no problem. Still able to close with no lockup. Copying the data to the new card was easy. Setting sync to point to the new card not so easy. You have to delete the sync relationship (the data is not deleted) and recreate them and wait an eternity for 80gb data to be reindexed. It'll suck your battery. Do it on the charger.

I'll update you all in a week and let you know how its been.

So Resilio, if this is the case, you need something in there that can "tell" if a card is not playing ball properly as android is no help, and if the card *is* damaged we don't want sync replicating files with bitrot across to our other devices which incidentally I can report in this case as NOT happened.

Anyone else with this problem want to try changing their SD card and see if their experience with Resilio improves? Anyone having this problem who is  syncing from phone storage and NOT the SD card?

bfn,

Andy.