Latest Desktop Build 2.3.0

RomanZ

Dear community,

Sync 2.3 is now available. You can get it via direct links below or via official download page. Auto-update is not available yet.

Direct Download Links:

A list of what's new, improved, changed, and fixed in this version is available in the change log.

Latest Android build is now also available via direct link: 2.3.0 APK
Latest Raspberry Pi package is available via direct link: 2.3 DEB

Known issues and peculiarities:
- Windows 10 claims that binary signature is corrupt or invalid (more info)
- Linux users should be careful: from now on Sync creates and uses storage folder (.sync folder) in current directory, not next to binary

Do you mean for Windows? 64-bit is definitely safe to install if you have a 64-bit Windows installation..

Yes, but what I am worried about is installing the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version without uninstalling the latter first. Should be fine, I guess.

Edited by Megalith

Yes, but what I am worried about is installing the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version without uninstalling the latter first. Should be fine, I guess.

Yes it should work without any issues, but I would recommend you to backup your settings before making such upgrade (just make a copy of %appdata%\BitTorrent Sync)

Should I wait for auto-update on already installed clients, or grab the latest desktop and install manually?

It's entirely up to you!

When is the auto update due to rollout?

It may be a few weeks - it depends on whether there are any serious issues discovered after today's release that need to be addressed before 2.3 is pushed out via auto-update

I prefer to install btsync on my Linux server from a repository, but the yeasoft repository does not offer 2.3 yet - any idea when it will be available?

The YeaSoft repository hasn't been updated in a while - it's author & maintainer, tuxpoldo, hasn't been around here on the forums now for nearly a year, and the Sync team have been unable to make contact with him.

It's therefore safe to assume that tuxpoldo's unofficial builds won't be updated any time soon.

Okay, I am totally confused. I installed Sync as a service and the program and GUI is completely gone. Is this normal? (All that is shown "BitTorrent Sync Service" under Programs and Features.)

Yes, that's normal - when Sync is installed and running as a Windows Service there's no system tray icon. The UI is instead accessed via your web browser (i.e. 127.0.0.1:8888)

Thank you very much for this update :) I've migrated to the service easely but on second thought, i would like to go back to the previous mode. I can't find how to though ? i've reinstalled the app, but it start empty now (service is still installed)

Could you help me rolling back without loosing my folders ?

Regards,

Edit : or maybe coud there be a way to have the service installed, but with the app window ?

(I found it painfull to use a browser for admin ... )

Regarding the new Encrypted folder sync option, what is the best way to convert a standard folder sync relationship that is already established to be encrypted? In other words, I have 2 off-site peers that act as a backup. There is a large amount of data (~1 TB) synced, what is the best way to encrypt the data stored on those peers without having to re-sync the data?

@zeropluszero

When you migrate Sync to service, it leaves a backup of all your data in a folder named "%appdata%\BitTorrent Sync\backup_XXXXXXXX" (where xxxx is timstamp in UNXTIME) for your old user. So technically you can roll it back: uninstall sync-the-service, copy files from backup to "%appdata%\BitTorrent Sync", and install regular Sync.

And no, when running as service only webui is available. Note that it has advantage - you can reach it from other computers in network to admin.

@advhound

Unfortunately, you can't pre-populate encrypted folders. You can only fill them by syncing data. The only way i can think of is to make similar VM (similar = all the paths and usernames are the same as for your off-site peers), sync to them in LAN and then drop them (=both data and sync service folders) to offsite computer, keeping all paths intact.

Some time ago, I bought sync pro and then found out that selective sync is not available on Linux. I posted quite a few complaints on the forums.

Now I would like to thank you. You implemented this feature extremely fast.

Amazing customer service. Now I can recommend this to all my friends - most of which are die-hard linux users - as a full-fledged backup alternative.

Guys, do you plan to implement backup feature as requested at http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/30010-none-deleting-node/? This would be killer feature...

The team are aware of the suggestions made over in the Feature Request forum, including the popularity of the specific suggestion you refer to. Therefore, please consider adding your voice/+1 to that thread if you've not already done so.

Hi, a little unsure how to use/implement encrypted folder capability.

I have a cloud server, PC (+ other devices) all under my identity.

If I wish to have data held encrypted on my cloud server, can you talk me through the steps to do this ?

At present, whenever I create a new share (initiated on PC)  - it automatically appears on the cloud server & syncs as-is.

Thanks.

I have a cloud server, PC (+ other devices) all under my identity.

If I wish to have data held encrypted on my cloud server, can you talk me through the steps to do this ?

At present, whenever I create a new share (initiated on PC)  - it automatically appears on the cloud server & syncs as-is.

The server needs its own identity, otherwise the read-write key will just propagate to the server (as you noticed). When the server has its own identity, you can add folders independently and link a folder using the read-only encrypted key. The process of unlinking the server and creating a new identity is described at:

http://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/205457815-Sync-Private-Identity-Linking-My-Devices

(See "Unlinking your device".)