Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

I would like to see the software changed so that temporary files are not stored in the synced folder.

These temporary files cause other apps which are watching the synced folder(s) to process the temporary files.

For example, I am trying to use Viivo to encrypt files before BTSync syncs them. This cannot be done because BTSync is creating temporary files with a .!sync extension which get processed by the Viivo app.

Please create temporary files inside the Application Support folder or anywhere else besides the actual sync folder.

Thank you!

Please create temporary files inside the Application Support folder or anywhere else besides the actual sync folder.

Yeah, that's not really all that practical!

Consider this; let's say you have a partitioned disc, with two drives C & D.

Drive D contains 500GB of files you wish to sync. Drive C (the system OS drive) only has 100GB of free space left. If temporary/incoming files are initially stored in the C drive instead of the D drive (the final destination), then 1) the C drive will run out of space, 2) Once each file has been received, it would then need to be "moved" from drive C to drive D - making overall sync time longer, and in the case of traditional HDDs, leading to big disk fragmentation!

Whereas, under the present system, a received file is stored in its destination folder and simply renamed once complete - it's not "moved" from one location to another after it's been fully received.

The bottom line is that Sync allows you to exclude certain files, file types, or folders from syncing. However, if any other 3rd party software you have "monitoring" or processing the contents of the folders you're also syncing doesn't have the same ability to ignore/exclude certain files, file types, or folders from their own respective monitoring processes, then you should suggest to those software vendors that they provide a way to do this in their software so that it can co-exist with Sync.

Hi,

First of all I would like to say thanks a lot for this great app and all the hard work that has been put into it.

With regards to the wishlist:

Email notifications

- when devices have been unavailable over a given period of time

- folders haven't been synced by a set period of time

- when target disk space is running low

Set max size for a synchronised (read only / backups) folder

Remove oldest archived items if disk space low or folder max size reached (not sure if this is already standard, cant find any info)

It seems what is critically needed is the file transfer results tab in GUI.

It should show which exact files are attempted to be transferred, preferably the progress bar, and the RESULT of transfer, and, if those results were not successful, what was the exact reason file transfer could not be completed.

As it stands right now, we have a number of files that either won't update, or not even being attempted to be transferred or whatever else is the reason for the files not being updated on the client (r/o) nodes when they are modified on the master side (r/w) node.

Looking at the logs, especially not even knowing the implications of the meaning of some error messages, of which there seems to be too many, make it practically impossible to find the reason why some files are not being transferred.

Also, ALL failed transfers should probably be logged into a different log file, specifically dedicated to errors, where the most detailed information about the error is presented, and not just "error (R/O)" type of messages. Because they are pretty much meaningless, especially if you have write permissions to those files and the folders they are in.

That is why in Unix/Linux there is the stdout and stderr files.

Errors are not the standard output in terms of log files.

The log files could be huge and contain all sorts of not very useful information from the standpoint of errors.

That is why you need the debug.err.log or whatever name you find appropriate to name it, to clearly identify the transfer errors with detailed description of the reasons, such, for example, as "file xxx.xxx could not be saved - no write permissions" or "file update time stamp is different in more than xxx seconds" or "torrent is damaged" and so on.

Because how can you fix something if you do not know the EXACT reasons for misbehavior?

Some, if not most of log file messages simply do not make any sense. Either their exact meaning has to be described in some manual with sufficient detail and precision so the users could understand what they actually and specifically mean, or you can simply forget about the logging. Because the way it is right now, it is next to useless in terms of finding out the exact reason for some problem or transfer failure.

Hi Bittorrent Sync team, thank you so much for this amazing soft :)

I would love to have the ability to point a file that fail to sync between computers.

From time to time i have trouble syncing through hamachi networks, but the app only give a size remaining to transfer, making it very difficult to point ...

Double clicking that information could lead to the files maybe ??

Regards,

I'd like a badge on a synced folder (similar to Tortoise SVN) so that I know that the folder is synced. This would prevent accidentally modifying a folder that others depend on.

Different badges for readonly versus full access would be good, and to indicate the sync state (syncing or done syncing).

A simple "Team Server" option for your cloud sync mirror server, like seen at the competitor AeroFS.

Its kinda confusing to setup your own cloud mirror node, so that it acts as mirror/seed only.

I guess u need to enable "Restore modified files to original version" for the server folders and use Read-Only keys on the server?

The idea is that u never change files on the server itself, so if the server gets bugged or is lost/compromised, it should not sync server side changes to the "real" clients.

I wish there would be a simple way to enforce those rules, since atm its kinda unclear and u have to setup things per folder.

Thx

Andy

Edited by Andy22

A Message from Devices

It would be great to have a message from a device,

either as an additional column in the Devices tab,

or in a popup if you click on some device to show a longer text than it currently shows in Device column on the Devices tab.

The reason for this is for the device to post some message to other devices if, for example it has some problems or it wants to provide the additional information beyond device name, such as posting the upcoming key change or when the devices is going to be on/off-line, to provide some url or invite people to join some chat, or anything else the device would like to inform others about.

Right now the max length of the Device column is 98 characters.

That is not sufficient as a general purpose message, and if you start adding an extra text to the Device name string, things may get a little confusing.

At the very least, it would be desirable to increase the max length of the Device string to at least 256 chars or something like that. That way, if the string is too long to be seen as a device name, at least you could copy it to the clipboard and paste it to your notepad to see the full text without expanding the Device name column.

The bottom line is:

There may be a number of reasons for the device to display a more lengthy message to r/o devices. Basically, there is no compelling reason NOT to allow devices to communicate with each other and there IS a compelling reason for them to be able to do so. For example, right now I am seeing one node that is sitting dead for over a week on one of the shares. This simply does not make any sense and there is no way to help that guy or to find out the reason he is sitting there for days and weeks without actually downloading the share.

Desktop Sync on Demand Mode

----------------------------------------

Be able to have a mode like the mobile apps for the desktop installs  where it lists the content but doesn't actually sync all the content unless the specified content is requested.

Useful to be able to retrieve something when needed but not to have a full sync.

Also extremely helpful for notebooks, especially the newer ones with limited storage Ex:

Desktop A at Home (Multi-Terabyte Drives) <----> Desktop B at Work (Multi-Terabyte Drives)

|

|

|

V

Business trip with Notebook (Nearly Full 100-500Gig SSD Drive)

Yes you can sub-divide and have multiple shares etc, but there is always that "Oh crap, I need xyz file" that is invariably located in the wrong place.

I'd like to have some UX requests/suggestions. 

1. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to organize these paths somehow? To group them and reorder.

The more folders I'm adding the messier it gets and it's getting hard to get around now.

2. I think it'd more convenient to have in "Folders" tabs, as another column information about:

- the connectivity with devices

- status with the time of the last sync/bandwidth

Basically, to merge "Devices" with the "Folders" tab. Everything in one place.

3. An ability to name each path. That would be kind of naming a sync connection. It'd make things clearer if we'd be able to name things like "BACKUP_MUSIC", "SYNC_DOCS" etc.

That's it for now. 

what you think?

This is already possible - please see "Can I force Sync to do local network (LAN) syncing only and not sync via the Internet?" in the Unofficial FAQ

Thank you. Making the options more obvious and noob-friendly would be another suggestion then. (And perhaps add global default to the main preferences tab instead of the clumsy, optional configuration file.)

Hi, my first post here.

Wish list:

- choose if i want to remove a device from that folder.

(if i have 10 devices syncing c:\logs, i want to choose the device named "pc234" will no longer sync)

- choose if a deleted device should keep or not the content

(When delete a device erase all content from that folder on that device only)

- give a different secret key for each device

(One folder on the "server" and 10 keys for 10 "clients")

amazing software, congratulation.

Edited by alfaex