Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

Here is my wishlist:

1. Make the app window behave like a normal application window. I can't switch to it using Cmd+Tab or Dock or from the menu bar icon with only one click.

2. Disable notifications for some folders. I am backing up the -virtual- sdcard folder on my Galaxy Nexus, I don't need to know that every cache file in every application data folder is downloaded.

3. Show an info window when I double click to an item in Folders list, instead of opening it in Finder. Maybe something similar to the Torrent Inspector in Transmission. Also move the current action to the context menu.

4. Let me close the app window with Cmd+W, I don't remember the latest 1.1 but it is not working on 1.2.41 for sure.

Edit:

5. UserVoice or something similar, so that we don't need to go through ~40 pages of wishlist

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

+1 for this.

Actually I already mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I want to voice my support for it again!

>>>>Server Version<<<<

Also it would be nice to have a way to quickly export and import config files (bonus would be to create the target folders if they don't already exist)

So that if i wanted to bring a second sync server up all i have to do is export and import into the new server (or i could keep the config file for backup)

I know you can get the config file out but it doesnt cover port setting or bandwith or creating the path so its still kind of a pain

as always thanks for your great work

Include a commandline option to extract the configuration from a btsync installation. E.g. I run btsync without any specific config, therefore btsync takes care of the config for me. After a while, I would like to tinker with the settings in a config file, which is where an "export" of the settings into a human readable file would be nice. With this exported version, I could then either use it to run the current btsync, or take it away to replicate it elsewhere.

• An option to see the diferences between local system and remote systems. From time to time I see some file count on one system and another one on remote, and I don't know why they are different

An option to purge removed files on remote R/O syncs (as you're sure no longer need the backup for removed files)

Proxy support

Stealth mode to avoid appearing as downoading from a trackerless/unknown tracker bt client.

Uservoice or similar to vote for already existing wishes

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

moving files:

Right now moving a directory of files within the synchronized folder leads to a complete upload of the moved files once again to all other peers.

It would smarter to simply let all other peers know that the file x has moved to the new location y (instead of a message delete and upload again).

Idea: check on a peer which loads a file whether exactely the same file is in the archive (was delete before). The check can be easily done via file hash. If the file was just deleted than simply restore it at the new location.

This would avoid to add a new command to the protocol and would allow a smart "move" without uploading a moved file again.

Best

Numa

Sorry if these things have already been mentioned but I'd like to see:

1) Temp folder for all items in sub-directories under specified directories until they are complete. Therefore the user won't see folders containing things like split archives until all the files are there and they are moved from the temp folder.

2) Queue sorting. Use can specify in which order things should be synced i.e. Older items first.

Thank you for a great and interesting product!

Feature request (Sharing with strangers - majority voting):

I would like the possibility of sharing folders with people I do not know, but without the risk of storing illegal or malicious content on my machine after I hand over the shared key to strangers. The main purpose is to always have files available where ever I am, with high bandwidth and in a reliable way.

Suggestion:

Would it be possible to add "majority voting" for every upload and deletion?

For instance (one way of doing it):

When I create a new "share" I would be able to select how votes should be decided.

Only people who can vote will be able to upload/delete files in the share.

Options:

o Voting time: [1, 7, 30] days

o Minimum votes: [70] %

o Asked to vote: first [100] people/computers who joined the share

If a computer is not active for 1 week, it will loose it's voting capability and another computer will be selected randomly. If a user decides he wants to give up his voting power, the power is transferred to another computer.

Potential issues:

Voting algoritms are difficult to build, especially when they are not controlled by a centralised component. In my case, I would be fine with having this feature running on servers controlled by BitTorrent.

Optional:

I would like to be able to automatically remove a share in the case that a vote result is the opposite of my vote.

• Availability to click on the Sync Popup whenever a file is altered, added or removed. This should open the folder in which the file is located.

A "recalculate botton". Time to time I have to remove the folder and add it again because it says "Uploading 100MB", but it's already at the remote host, so I just end up looking at it all the time. It's very annoying. 

Still like to see a mobile app for windows phones.

Also to be able to have sync run as a service with a gui. (I am currently running it as a task on a couple computers)

Nested shares

Be able to organize lists (such as paths under the folder tab) in ascending or descending order.

Be able to right click on a folder in explorer to add it or remove it from the sync list. 

I am sure I will think up something else (probably someone else has it listed already.

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum. Greyed out items have since been implemented

Not sure if this has been mentioned (too many to read now) but the only thing I find lacking is the ability to send files from another app into BTSync on iOS. Photo access is great but being able to send a pdf from GoodNotes, for example, into a folder in Sync is a must have feature.

This is the only thing keeping me from adopting it and would be a requirement for BTSync to be implemented at our company.

Thanks! Great work so far!

Please encrypt data at rest, at least optionally, on some peers. (Keeping the ability to do incremental backups). Use case is having a VPS as a peer for fast always on cloud storage. Plaintext on a 3rd party service is a non-starter given what we know now about surveillance.

Also maybe it would be a good idea to take the top 1-2 requested features and make a kickstarter project for them both to fund development and to test how much users actually want those features.

Edited by GreatMarko
Greyed out items have since been implemented

The only thing I'm looking for is the ability to limit the capacity of a folder. Being able to set a hard limit on the size of a synced folder would allow me to easily share a folder with random people on the internet and have confidence that they aren't going to DDOS me by spamming the folder until my harddrive has filled up.

I have a few very specific requests in relation to running multi-user server systems.

1. CLI option on Mac OS X - this is a deal breaker. I've heard some people say you don't need a command line option on OS X or Windows because you can do it all through the GUI. Obviously they've never run a server. For security and configuration reasons, I need BTSync running as a daemon as its own user, starting on boot without each user having to log in. Additionally, this process should be a standard process and NOT fork itself as the current Linux CLI version does. This is bad practice. Write a wrapper script to fork it if you need to, but DO NOT fork the main process and let it quit. This is fine for single instances, but for a robust setup it doesn't cut it.

2. Multiple users. I want one copy of BTSync, one web admin interface, and multiple user accounts. In my opinion, the BTSync app should be able to tie into UNIX user accounts for admin interface login. Users in wheel, for example, could turn individual users on and off, and normal users, if enabled, could log in with their credentials and administer folders that are accessible to them. This may require that files added to the folder have their group changed to the group that the BTSync daemon is running as, but this would not be a huge problem. (Indiscriminate users could run the daemon as root and avoid this requirement, though that would be... unwise.) There are a lot of little details here but that's the basic concept.

3. Download-only file access. This is more for personal use. I'd like to have a BTSync folder that stores all of my movies, archives, and other data that I only access infrequently. When I want to download one of them, I want to be able to pick the file instead of syncing the whole folder, and likewise for uploading. This would be a huge advantage, and based on how BTSync works I don't think it would be that difficult to do.

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum.

3. Download-only file access. This is more for personal use. I'd like to have a BTSync folder that stores all of my movies, archives, and other data that I only access infrequently. When I want to download one of them, I want to be able to pick the file instead of syncing the whole folder, and likewise for uploading. This would be a huge advantage, and based on how BTSync works I don't think it would be that difficult to do.

You can do that that via the API (Trusting you know how to use that as you claim you run servers). First, add the share like so:-

?method=add_folder&dir=/path/to/sync/location&secret=existingSecret&selective_sync=1

Then, whenever you want to download a file, run:-

?method=set_file_prefs&secret=existingSecret&path=movies/MyIlegallyDownloadedMovies/ShawShankRedemption.mkv&download=1

And tuh-duh, it should start*.

*Never tried it, I can if you'd like, however.

It would be nice to be able to have only one copy of bittorrent sync running on one machine and make it where you can sync to folders on a network drive. Basically make it where you don't need another copy of bittorrent sync running on the machine that contains the network storage.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

iOS client:

• Add the same features of the desktop app to the mobile app
    • Settings per folder e.g. use TCP at LAN, Restore modified files to original version, QR code to let others connect mobile-to-mobile
    • Device names
    • Upload tab
  • Enable deletion of files from the iOS surface on RW shares, not just "Cancel" or "Delete" from the device

Dekstop/webUI version:

• Allow creation of ENC keys with a user defined secret (through API?)
  • Show a list of not yet synced files and therefore simplifying the identification of locked files from the UI without going into debugging, Could be integrated into the Transfers with an option "Show locked files" in the advanced settings.

Thanks again for the updates :)

Edit:

I reckon this has popped up a few times as well, as I have just seen another topic reply by GreatMarko regarding what Sync thinks are identical files:

"Identical" files to Sync have the same name, same size, and same timestamp. If one or more of these differs, Sync won't see files as "identical".

An implementation of SHA1/x MD5 file checksums and others would greatly help you identify e.g.:

- Do a comparison of checksums, maybe even database of checksum+file location in share?

- This would prevent problems with timestamps etc

Already implemented according to HaroldFeit

The files on both ends are hashed in semi-standard bittorrent fashion (segmented hashing with segment size based on total file size) and if the hashes are identical on both sides, the files won't actually be transferred.

Edit 2:

Add a --debug option or -v -vv -vvv switches to the binary to turn on debugging for a session, maybe even a switch for demonising, as well as including these options in the config file.