Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

A very important setting:

Setting per share - "follow symlinks"  if not - symlinks are treated as regular files and btsync should not traverse into them.

Default this to [yes] I guess...

Agreed, this is an excellent suggestion, although perhaps too geeky to be overtly user-facing.

I tried to install btsync on my openwrt (i486) box without success because openwrt is uclibc based. 

So it would be nice to have a uClibc build as well or at least static i386 build (I believe static build has been requested few times already).

Thank you in advice 

+1 for uclibc, would like to run on DNS-323 (NAS).

Even better: Please make it open-source so that we can compile ourselves for whatever devices we need. Otherwise the "please release a binary for xxx" will never stop.

Versioning:

As an addition to my earlier post I noticed that the only versions that are made are on other machines that are on. This is of course completely in line with the way BTsync works but strange for people who rely on it for two reasons:

1. People wanting on versions on the machine where the file is changed have to search all other machines for old versions as they do not have the same versions depending on whether they were on or off.
  2. People wanting a version on there machine because someone might have changed it on another machine get a number of changed versions depending on whether the machine was on or off.

N.B. I'm talking especially about a file getting changed twice while your machine is off. Turning it on gives it only the second change.

I think it would be more clear to most users when the .SynArchive is also synced. Then all versions are available for everyone.

I'd like to +1 this as well. BTSync corrupted my homework file, and I couldn't restore a previous version because I was not at home to grab the old version from my desktop, so I had to start over. All changes need to be stored locally.

Notification if you want to merge from A to B or B to A.

I ran into an issue where I added files in B but when A turned on, it overwritten files in B when in fact it should had been the opposite.
I want to ability to decide who overwrites the other.

Sorry if this was already asked.

# Debug log enabled by directory #

I have several shared dirs, but only in a couple of them I have sync problems mainly (I guess) due to the fact that I use these directories for storing visual studio project files and portable applications.

To detect what is preventing the full synchronization, I use to enable the debug log, but it is difficult to read because it including also the synchronization status of the dir that are behaving correctly.

Can you consider a better way for debugging sync problems?
E.g. a different debug log file per directory and a list of the latest 50 files you have been not able to sync.

Something else came to my mind: a strength of BTSync is that you can share any folder (not just a single ~/Dropbox folder), but it would be great if we could have the .Sync* files elsewhere. Right now it is impossible to share a folder without "poluting it", and sharing a read-only folder won't work.

I wish for the option, in the web UI for linux, to create a path that does not exist, instead of the message "Can't open the destination folder." and if permission to create folder(s) is denied, give me that message.

- Multi use Daemon (FreebSD/Linux)

This should already be possible
check this out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BitTorrent_Sync#Usage

Edited by solixxx

Hi All,

First I'd like to say that the app is great, but I still have a wish as well...

I know people have brought it up already, but for me it would be great if there could be an option just to sync via wireless, or lan.

The reason for this is that I provide a lot of documents for a large group and they are all online via 3gs or h+ during the day. And their data use is limited.

A scheduler wouldn't do it for me, because these guys aren't at home at the same time.

A modifications of the app, or tips on how tho prevent unnecessary data use would be greatly appreciated!

cheers..

Robbert

To start, Thanks a lot for all this work.

I suggest divide the app in two parts, or exes: one a front-end and two a service.

The first for the configuration work, history check, connection status, etc. more or less that the actual front-end

The second do the sync (hard) work.

The benefits:

- you not need to be logged on the pc

- multi user with a shared config

- not necesary keep the front end open to keep the syncronization.

- is the main door to use the app in enterprise enviroments (like my case ;P)

Another suggestion:

- a mailing list for information when a new release is ready to download, may be including the changelog.

Just hooked up my own cloud "dropbox" using an external HDD and a raspberry pi. Its working great so far!

My simple wish list, to make it even better:

1. SOCKs Proxy support

2. Ability to sync just subfolders of secrets, without creating a clever directory of secrets

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

Hi All,

First I'd like to say that the app is great, but I still have a wish as well...

I know people have brought it up already, but for me it would be great if there could be an option just to sync via wireless, or lan.

The reason for this is that I provide a lot of documents for a large group and they are all online via 3gs or h+ during the day. And their data use is limited.

A scheduler wouldn't do it for me, because these guys aren't at home at the same time.

A modifications of the app, or tips on how tho prevent unnecessary data use would be greatly appreciated!

cheers..

Robbert

Not sure if you're using iOS or Android, but on Android there's an app called Tasker.  You can launch an app when connected to a particular SSID (or any WiFi) and kill an app when you disconnect.  You can also add in time-of-day to the mix if you want, notification, etc.

Edited by sfking

Hi,

It would be very nice, if I could (optionally) access the files stored (and the deleted files) in a btsync share by a cool website like (sorry ...) dropbox. This site should be easyly customizable by the user. (By now, I use owncloud with a symlink to my shared folder. I also played around with pydio.)

There should be also an easy usable installation solution for FreeNAS.

Nonetheless: Thanks for the great application!

Greetings

merlinuwe

I love the app and how people all over the world is using it for a lot of things.

I really would like to see something that would allow us to sync subfolders of a main folder that is already shared. I understand this is called nested folders.

For example I am making a full offsite backup of my pictures to my dads house, but then if I want to share some subfolders only with some friends I cant because I receive a message saying: this folder cannot be added to bittorrent sync as it is part of a folder that is already syncing.

If this is incorporated to the app it would be really AMAZING.

Also a simple way to manage our shares and to be able to list all our shares together with the read only pass keys or the read and write pass keys would be great. Maybe being able to export them all to a CSV so we can import it to an excel sheet or a google spreadsheet would save us a lot of time to manage our shares and share several shares at the same time with friends and family.

Another nice thing would be to be able to add a third option of sharing with the possibility to limit the amount of bandwidth that is going to be used when that password is used :)

Thank you! A MILLION TIMES!

Bittorrent Sync on Demand

A bittorrent sync client can be set to Sync on demand. The data transfer will then be initiated only when a file is accessed. The downloading / downloaded file can then be seeded back to other clients until it is removed. Downloaded files (cached copies) can be set for automatic removal (from local storage) based on the users adjustable cache setting. This is a killer feature because it will give low end devices with small SD disks (raspberry pi) the potential of access huge amounts of data.

Please please please consider this :)