Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

I'd like to be able to be able to choose which files / folders get downloaded / synced on the clients when they are read only

I.e I share a folder and 3 clients can see it. The clients have tick boxes next to each file or folder and if they tick them they get downloaded and synced.

:)

+1

I'd like to be able to be able to choose which files / folders get downloaded / synced on the clients when they are read only

I.e I share a folder and 3 clients can see it. The clients have tick boxes next to each file or folder and if they tick them they get downloaded and synced.

:)

My Top-3 wishlist for Sync:

1. File/subfolder filter by mask/regex

2. Schedule system

3. Progress bar for folders list

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum.

Sync is already realtime on platforms that have a file change notification system built in (read: not mac)

OS X does have a file change notification, just quite different form, say, windows.

So is instant sync on windows really true? I cannot test that right now because I'm running only virtual windows in Parallels.

(maybe I can test it when I manage to connect the machines directly)

Instant sync using the notify mechanisms works for sure on windows ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364417%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ) and linux (inotify) platforms.

The file change notification system on mac is different enough from normal *BSD platforms that it's difficult to code for in comparison.

I have now two virtual windows boxes in Parallels directly connected.

Stopped btsync on all other machines and had a single shared folder.

I renamed a test file several times, duplicated, deleted etc.

The change showed up after 10-25 seconds.

When I use the python watchdog module, which utilizes windows notification

as well, I can see file changes in a fraction of a second.

So there definately _is_ speed available without much overhead.

So in your definition of "instant", is there an artificial delay?

It feels like there are notifications captured in some buffer, but the

buffer is then polled every 20 seconds, maybe.

I assume this is some default value to avoid too many activity on the database?

thanks - chris

I have now two virtual windows boxes in Parallels directly connected.

Stopped btsync on all other machines and had a single shared folder.

I renamed a test file several times, duplicated, deleted etc.

The change showed up after 10-25 seconds.

When I use the python watchdog module, which utilizes windows notification

as well, I can see file changes in a fraction of a second.

So there definately _is_ speed available without much overhead.

So in your definition of "instant", is there an artificial delay?

It feels like there are notifications captured in some buffer, but the

buffer is then polled every 20 seconds, maybe.

I assume this is some default value to avoid too many activity on the database?

thanks - chris

You're not factoring in the hashing of the files that happens in those 20 seconds.

Does the program say "Indexing" immediately when you change the files?

You're not factoring in the hashing of the files that happens in those 20 seconds.

Does the program say "Indexing" immediately when you change the files?

I had so few files that I didn't even notice the "Indexing" message.

There was just one file added, changed or deleted.

It took a few seconds until I saw the notice of the changes in the source log,

then again a few seconds until the log showed this on the dest machine log.

Tested after that the unpacking of a zip file with 1000 small members:

Again there is the same average delay until I see log entries in the source,

and the same again in the destination log.

But the transfer then runs very quickly.

Which is bad for what I want to do: I have very few changes and small data,

but I need them to be transferred in a few seconds. I'd like to implement some handshake

by file renaming, but the resulting delay is too much.

On the delay of sync triggering, here are two small python programs

for you to play with.

The activity and traffic is quite high, but information needs about 40-60 seconds

until it reaches its destination.

Use python 2.7 or 3.3.

Remove the .txt ending that I needed to append for uploading.

pingpong.py looks for a file "ping.txt" and renames it, and vice versa.

pipapo.py uses a single file "pipapo.txt" and compares the content

with the machine name. It prints the old contents to the console and writes new info.

I tried it with 2 to 4 machines (real and virtual).

cheers - chris

(oops, should have put this somewhere else)

pingpong.py.txt

pipapo.py.txt

Edited by ctismer

I see - together with many others - Bittorent Sync as a simple to use backup alternative. However, there is one feature which makes it not very suitable; The problem is that if you accidentally delete a file, this error will be copied to other locations. (I know there is the SyncTash, but this will just destroy the data structure, making it very difficult to search data at a later stage)

If have not been able to see how to overcome this issue, therefore I would like to add this to wishlist for upcoming features. 

I see, a similar post has been listed, but it is not obvious if this particular request is noted.

I see - together with many others - Bittorent Sync as a simple to use backup alternative. However, there is one feature which makes it not very suitable; The problem is that if you accidentally delete a file, this error will be copied to other locations. (I know there is the SyncTash, but this will just destroy the data structure, making it very difficult to search data at a later stage)

If have not been able to see how to overcome this issue, therefore I would like to add this to wishlist for upcoming features. 

I see, a similar post has been listed, but it is not obvious if this particular request is noted.

Just setup a read only secret. This is how Bittorrent Sync manages what you are wanting; a one-way synchronization or backup that isn't affected as files are deleted on what you would consider the client side. Folder setup with a read-only secret will be fully synced to the server, but any changes made in the folder on the client will never be synced back to the server. Keep in mind that you can't manage secrets for the folder if access to the folder is managed by a read-only secret.

Just setup a read only secret. This is how Bittorrent Sync manages what you are wanting; a one-way synchronization or backup that isn't affected as files are deleted on what you would consider the client side. Folder setup with a read-only secret will be fully synced to the server, but any changes made in the folder on the client will never be synced back to the server. Keep in mind that you can't manage secrets for the folder if access to the folder is managed by a read-only secret.

Thank you,

Maybe I am not doing it right. The thing is that I am using a client A where I work with my pictures. I do backup to server B. Because of the limited HD capacity on my client A, I want to delete older files here. When I do this the same files will be deleted on B. I tried using the read only secret on from A on my server B, but this does not help.

Thank you,

Maybe I am not doing it right. The thing is that I am using a client A where I work with my pictures. I do backup to server B. Because of the limited HD capacity on my client A, I want to delete older files here. When I do this the same files will be deleted on B. I tried using the read only secret on from A on my server B, but this does not help.

Yes, BTSync has its shortcomings, but it is possible to live with that.

What I'm doing is pretty straight forward:

On the client with limited space, I have ons shared "minimum" folder.

On the larger machine, I have "minimum" and "maximum", which is also shared elsewhere.

So,

server A has "minimum", while

server B has "maximum" and "minimum".

When server A gets to its limit, I go to server B and move some files from

"minimum" to "maximum.

Those files are then moved on all servers that have both shares, but removed from

those which only have "minimum".

Admittedly not perfect, because when moving between shared folders, they are re-transmitted

completely, but it works for me.

The files are not gone. By default, they are in .SyncArchive on all other devices that share the same secret.

Exception: There is a size threshold from which size on to skip these backups.

So what I would do:

- Increase the size threshold to the maximum, and

- increase the purge time to "never".

I don't know what to enter here actually, but you should try and report back if it works:

Open btsync, go to Preferences/Advanced

change "max_size_for_versioning" to the highest allowed value (or maybe "0" is allowed - please try)

This number is in Megabytes.

change "sync_trash_ttl" the same way.

This number is in days.

This way, you get a numbered version history in .SyncArchive, as long and as large as you desire.

This subfolder is not synced, it only has old versions.

You can now access older versions, even by using some (Python-?)Scripts to get at older versions.

Not perfect, but maybe this helps.

cheers -- Chris

File Size Limits would be good. For example, a "Maximum File Size per Shared Folder".

Use case: I'm considering setting up a shared folder for remote staff to sync documents with the office (for collaboration and backup purposes). I don't want one of the remote staff to (accidentally or deliberately) dump 200 x 10mb photos in there, which 10 other people then have to download, over the violators slooowww ADSL uplink. If I can limit files to 500kb (for example) then that would help negate the risk.

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, because i would like to recommend a new feature from me and my partner. BtSync it's an importar part of our indie work, between three friends.

Sometimes our third buddy doesnt need urgently the latest files, and some of our shared folders include some programming stuff... And sometimes our third friend doesn't need to get the files instantly, he can wait.

It would be cool to include some kind of "Pause" button on the devices list, to pause some of the peers, just like uTorrent and .torrent programs.

Keep up the good work

Best regards

Enrique Palacios

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

Hey,

I was not able to read the complete wishlist and all other threads because of the mass of replies.

But I was wondering if it was possible (theoretically and practically) to introduce a "no-read secret" with which a peer is only able to load the files and being unable to read them. Thus one could add peers (24/7 servers or a friend's computer) where the data does not have to or shall not be readable but it would be nice to have an additional peer for availability and speed.

greetz

Jonny007

Edited by GreatMarko
Greyed out items have since been implemented

Hi,

I love BTSync - with all the current limitations.

My wish is not really BTSync, but related - it would be nice to have the ability to connect from my Windows laptop to my Raspberry Pi "SSH-style" using the "BTSync" discovery method.

My RaspberryPis is at home behind a WAN/LAN router and my ISP is providing an everchangind IP Number.

Thanks

Nico

Hi, a few suggestions from me.

Nested folders.

i.e.  Folder 1

--------Folder 2

--------Folder 3

The ability to share Folder 1 to location a (and all the sub folders) while sharing Folder 2 to location be and folder 3 to location c.

The ability to sync data on removable drives. Awkward I know as drive letters change, but serial numbers or something could be used to identify each drive individually.

The ability to start BTSync as a service and still be able to manage the shared folders easily.

The ability to set a schedule for syncs to happen, per device and per share.

Great product, cant rate it highly enough. Cheers

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

First of all thanks for a great application.

As for my whish list:

I know developers unfortunately don't like Windows Phone, but having BitTorrent Sync available in that platform would be great.

As for the Android App:

- maybe adding integration with the Share menu.

- allowing selective synching of files and folders would be useful. I mean, being able to select specific files or folders to download at any given moment.

As someone has already said in this forum, phones and tablets have limited capacity, being able to select what you want to download would be great.

Edited by GreatMarko
Greyed out items have since been implemented

>>>>Server Version<<<<

Also it would be nice to have a way to quickly export and import config files (bonus would be to create the target folders if they don't already exist)

So that if i wanted to bring a second sync server up all i have to do is export and import into the new server (or i could keep the config file for backup)

I know you can get the config file out but it doesnt cover port setting or bandwith or creating the path so its still kind of a pain

as always thanks for your great work