Android 4.4.2 Doesn't Have Permission To Write To This Folder.

Raccoon

If you sync mp3 files to /Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync on an external memory card (Galaxy S4, KitKat) is it expected that the media scanner will find them?  My experience is that it does not.  Initiating a media scan using RocketPlayer or simply rebooting the phone does not cause the music files to show up in Google Play or RocketPlayer.  If it did, I wouldn't mind the limitiation of only syncing to /Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync (at least for media files.)  This is actually a friend's phone so rooting it may be a no-go.

I have tried everything nothing is working. I'm trying to synch 14 gigs of comics to my ext SD card still no luck even after rooting it still says no permission to write to selected folder.help please I have been trying for a week now.

I don't think simply rooting is enough. You either need to flash a capable ROM or try the Xposed module HandleExternalStorage.

I have tried everything nothing is working. I'm trying to synch 14 gigs of comics to my ext SD card still no luck even after rooting it still says no permission to write to selected folder.help please I have been trying for a week now.

Do you mean the '/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync' folder or other folders on the Ext SD card?

I flashed cm 11 still nothing. Can u tell me the ROM you use to remove all of these restrictions. I trued xposed as well and even sdfix it still returns the same message each time.

Can you verify that you used the Xposed module called "HandleExternalStorage"? If so, you might also try getting help at the module's xda forum at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-handleexternalstorage-t2693521

What device are you using? CM 11.0 on my S4 and Note 2 allows writing to the external SD card without needing an Xposed module.

Yes I am using Handle external module still noting is working. Giving me the same errod. Also on your cm 11 are you doing any thing special to permit it? Basically what happens is the files transfer well for about 4 mins or less then it shows the message. Could it be an issue with my computer? 2 weeks on constant effort still nothing working. Also what format is your ext SD in it might be a problem I simply don't know. Also in what folder do you save yours in and what permissions does it read for that particular folder? I appricate the help I'm new to Android so I don't know much.

I don't recall doing anything special in CM to allow writing to the external SD as I please.

I'm pretty sure I formatted the card as exFAT, but I can't find an easy way to confirm that right now.

Relevant directories are:

/storage (perms = 751, owner = sdcard_r)

/storage/sdcard1 (777, sdcard_rw)

/storage/sdcard1/BitTorrentSync (775, sdcard_rw)

My sync directories are inside storage/sdcard1/BitTorrentSync and they're all 775, sdcard_rw.

If you're saying that the file transfers for 4 minutes, then barfs, I assume you mean that it's only buffering, and nothing at all ever actually gets written to the external SD. I mean, if it's writing something, then it appears to have access. In any case, I don't really know enough to troubleshoot Android much further than this. If your problem is narrowed down to the Kit Kat exernal storage issue, then I really think this is a job for xda.

Yes the on in the ext sd . Also I flashed cm 11 still nothing. Can u tell me the ROM you use to remove all of these restrictions. I trued xposed as well and even sdfix it still returns the same message each time.

Have u tried this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb

I don't recall doing anything special in CM to allow writing to the external SD as I please.

I'm pretty sure I formatted the card as exFAT, but I can't find an easy way to confirm that right now.

Relevant directories are:

/storage (perms = 751, owner = sdcard_r)

/storage/sdcard1 (777, sdcard_rw)

/storage/sdcard1/BitTorrentSync (775, sdcard_rw)

My sync directories are inside storage/sdcard1/BitTorrentSync and they're all 775, sdcard_rw.

If you're saying that the file transfers for 4 minutes, then barfs, I assume you mean that it's only buffering, and nothing at all ever actually gets written to the external SD. I mean, if it's writing something, then it appears to have access. In any case, I don't really know enough to troubleshoot Android much further than this. If your problem is narrowed down to the Kit Kat exernal storage issue, then I really think this is a job for xda.

It might be my Sd card I don't know. It won't let me change the owner it just reverts back to default when I leave. I'm using CM File Manager. This is really Faustarting. 

It might be my Sd card I don't know. It won't let me change the owner it just reverts back to default when I leave. I'm using CM File Manager. This is really Faustarting. 

I understand how Faustarting it must be--if I couldn't access my external SD for syncing, I'd also be pretty Faustarted. Why don't you try asking at the CM forum: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index.php? Or maybe xda's forum for your device?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried the workaround with the dedicated home directory for btsync in the external sd card (/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync) ...

Now sync works fine ... but it creates the same counter-problem for other apps that has to interact with files in this btsync home folder.

For example:

- BTSync syncs my pdf's with study material. On my tablet I like to annotate them (mark sentences, create notes, little text snippets in balloons etc) with a pdf editor. This app (EZpdfReader in my case) can't save this, because the pdf is not in his home folder.

- BTSync syncs my tracklogs on a hike trip. I like to add a new tracklog, so I tell this tracklogging app to store the files in the btsync home directory.... same error.

So it's essentially read-only modus on my external sdcard. OR btsync can't sync, OR apps can't edit ...

I really hope there is another way...

I tried the workaround with the dedicated home directory for btsync in the external sd card (/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync) ...

Now sync works fine ... but it creates the same counter-problem for other apps that has to interact with files in this btsync home folder.

For example:

- BTSync syncs my pdf's with study material. On my tablet I like to annotate them (mark sentences, create notes, little text snippets in balloons etc) with a pdf editor. This app (EZpdfReader in my case) can't save this, because the pdf is not in his home folder.

- BTSync syncs my tracklogs on a hike trip. I like to add a new tracklog, so I tell this tracklogging app to store the files in the btsync home directory.... same error.

So it's essentially read-only modus on my external sdcard. OR btsync can't sync, OR apps can't edit ...

I really hope there is another way...

Exactly the same issues here. Dropbox does not seem to have this issue although I noticed that it's repository is now stored on the internal storage of the phone with no option to change that to the SD, where in the past on my old phone, I'm quite sure this was also on the SD card. Did dropbox moved the repository to the internal storage on android 4.4 for the same reason why Sync is having issues here? I think most people would rather store their data on the SD as Internal storage is usually limited in size.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope BTSync will accomplish what Dropbox seems to have done today:

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/01/dropbox-on-android-can-now-save-files-to-an-sd-card/

Sync on Android has always been able to save/access files on an external SD card. In more recent versions of Android, however this has been limited to a single location on an external SD card (a restriction imposed by the OS - earlier versions of Android don't have this same restriction)

How is this any different to what, according to the link you provide, Dropbox can now do?! :unsure:

Can Dropbox sync files at ANY location on an external SD card?(!)

• 2 weeks later...

Can Dropbox sync files at ANY location on an external SD card?(!)

As far as I know dropbox cannot do this either. However, when dropbox has its repository on the internal storage it will only download files on demand keeping the required storage space to a minimum. For files required offline on the android device, dropbox has the option to mark files as favorites which stores the files locally. I would be happy with a similar setup in Sync but what I understand is that once a file is opened from sync on the local device, it will store the file locally from then on, is that correct. Is there any explenation/documentation where local storage policy with sync on android is explained?

• 4 weeks later...

Not to get my hopes up too soon, but ... is Android 5.0 Lollipop better in handling specific external sd-card rights?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/android-5-0-makes-sd-cards-great-again-extends-api-to-allow-full-directory-access-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/

Seems to me, apps can be given more rights then there own private folder in external_sd/data/com.bittorrent.sync/ ...

Have to change telephones though, Samsung S3 not upgrading etc.  ... :(

Not to get my hopes up too soon, but ... is Android 5.0 Lollipop better in handling specific external sd-card rights?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/android-5-0-makes-sd-cards-great-again-extends-api-to-allow-full-directory-access-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/

Seems to me, apps can be given more rights then there own private folder in external_sd/data/com.bittorrent.sync/ ...

Looks promising! :)

Seems we have to wait for Android Lollipop before we're allowed to write to an arbitrary folder on the external SD card.

Also note that no 3rd party file explorer has write-permissions to an arbitrary folder on the external SD card.  I've just tested this with Cheetah Mobile File Manager and ES File Explorer.

However, an new app "File Manager" which was appeared after my HTC One M8 Android 4.4.4 update *is* able to write to the SD.  I can only presume that this is a "system app" which has the correct permissions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there.

Have you digged in to that new Lillipop API features? First phones have just been provided with 5.0 and more are announced to come in the next couple of weeks. Would be awesome if someone would tell me "yes, this just made it into the very first 2.0 version we release" or something.

Regards,

Stephan.