Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

I'm currently evaluating the tool for off site backup purposes. (Windows based)

To be able to use it this way it is currently "missing" some features. Some features however make it perfect.

* Run as service. (I see it is on a todo list).
* Daily reporting of transferred/failed items.
* Use of Volume shadow copy to transfer locked/in use files. (If a sync could be scheduled, one might be able to implement this himself)
* Bandwidth limitation for peak/off peak hours. (Currently bandwidth limitation is an on/off switch)

I realize this might not an appropriate use of the tool.
We however see great potential in the tool as an off site backup solution. (No need for a site to site tunnel, possibility to backup several devices to a central location, encrypted/secure connections, read only features)

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

Another feature I thought out would be some kind of link for easily sharing a bittorrent sync folder. Some people have started using read-only shared folders to distribute files publicly online, and it's a pretty good idea since it's like a regular torrent but can be updated which is pretty cool.

But currently it lacks a one-click sharing mechanism, if a link scheme like magnet URIs could be developed then public sync folders could be added in this way by just clicking a link (if you have a client installed of course). Ideally with a quick menu for choosing sync options.

Hey there.

My current one is: Word and Excel Simultaneous Editing

The most information google provides you with is marketing stuff for Microsoft SkyDrive. But I know for sure that this feature also works for Word and Excel documents being accessed on a common SMB share. So there needs to be some other synchronization protocol which isn't based on SkyDrive. I guess it's based on meta information in the original files or in additional "shared files", but that's just a wild guess.

The thing is: Maybe there's a plugin API in Word an Excel which allows btsync to hook in and use btsync here instead of SkyDrive.

If two computers are connected through btsync (read: Two computers are up and running at the same time and share the same secret), Word and Excel could use btsync as transport channel for the Co-Authoring feature.

Using the regular btsync file synchronization mechanism would not suffice as soon as there are a certain number of co-authors editing files. Imho the Co-Authoring synchronization needs to be done a little faster than usual btsync file exchange. And ontop of that, there might be no need to reindex those changed word files as BLOBs when the required information is presented as structured information by a nice API. Being protocol aware here, you know?

Yea, that's my very first real business use case :huh:

Regards,

Stephan.

In my multi-site network I use icinga (nagios fork) to monitor my 2 qnap NAS, network devices and several workstations. It would be a great feature to enable nagios and/or SNMP monitoring support for bittorrent sync. It would enable me to monitor several sync instances from a single interface.

Data values I would like to monitor:

For each sync (of course)

- performance up- and downlink

- connected endpoints

- pending data up- and downstream

- pending file count up- and downstream

- estimated time for full sync calculated based on current network performance

- any relevant errors

additional to that:

- client version installed

- warning if update available

- error if client down

-ROADMAP: I wish there would be a roadmap. There does not have to be an exact time like next week there will be this etc. but maybe this feature hast high priority, this one less, this one wont be included.

-VOTABLE WISHLIST: I guess many people are afraid to post over and over again the same feature requests. So why not make them votable. Something like: http://goo.gl/FvkKqR (Chromium Issue List).

This program has already solved all of my life's problems, but here are some feature votes:

• I'd like to add a vote for the option to browse files on my other devices using the desktop app (i.e. functionality similar to what the android app already does), so we can basically have a non-synced archive access for devices not needing all the data.
  • I also think it will eventually be important to be able to browse the older versions of files from any device on the network. If I am editing a file locally, it is not being versioned on my local machine; this means if I want to recover a previous version I have to physically leave my work station to find one of the other computers! I know... "first world problems", but would not be so easy if one computer is across the country. :)
  • Alternatively: add an option to sync the synArchives?

Cheers,

Jack

-ROADMAP: I wish there would be a roadmap. There does not have to be an exact time like next week there will be this etc. but maybe this feature hast high priority, this one less, this one wont be included.

-VOTABLE WISHLIST: I guess many people are afraid to post over and over again the same feature requests. So why not make them votable. Something like: http://goo.gl/FvkKqR (Chromium Issue List).

+1 agre, forum isn't good platform for issue tracker/feature requests

Sorry if this was asked before.

As I understand all data is beeing encrypted before transport and then decrypted on the other end.

Is it possible to just store the encrypted data?

I'd like to run the btsyncd on my server in the wild, but just have it running as a file distributor. I don't want to access the files there, so I don't need (and want) them decrypted there.

It would be nice to have an option not to decrypt the data on a device.

Edit: Nevermind

This is probably a dead horse but version control would be very useful for my friends and I.

My silly little macbook air SSD is too small to sync with many of my shared folders. If I could sync a designated part of each, my problems would be solved. Other benefits too ;-)

Actually, while I'm here does anyone know if there are any solutions to these issues at present?

Sorry if this is already on your wishlist.

But I would like to see the following feature:

If I create on one device a Sync with certain properties (sync only via tracker, and my own Host) all the clients should not only get the data, but the properties too. The default behaviour is that alle options are activated (relay, tracker, ..., and not my host).

Is there no possibility to include this in the QR code?

It needs a filter like utorrent.

I.E. Say I put my classical music on a folder and I want to sync to my phone? Well I got two gigs of music and I only needs Mozart.. Phones might only have 500 megs free but even if it did not I would not want to download 450 megs to get 15 megs of music.

Now on my work PC 2 gigs would be fine. But I still like to control what music I download first so I could download Mozart Requiem 2.5 megs before having to download two gigs of music and wait for it to show up in random order.

So the ability to prioritize and a checklist of files you want to downLoads a Must. Deleting after the fact and keeping a Deletion stub just wasteful of energy and bandwidth.

In the case of my phone syncing a one time sync option would be nice meaning I could choose to refresh the add File list later and add and remove each time I synced up. So if I added to my home collection and forgot about the phone I would not wind up with a full phone and a HUGE WIFI Overage Bill!

I would like to be able to attach a filter to a sync key that can't be altered by anyone that might adding/syncing files. This filter would limit what types of files will be forwarded on through the sync for everyone watching a key regardless what a device might add to the folder.

Example might be filters based on some wildcard or regex match on the file name, file size limitation (max and min), and perhaps even content type.

This probably means having an admin key in addition to the read/write and read/only keys I guess.

And while we're at adding new key types, I'd like the ability to give out a key that is an add only key which only allows a device to add files, not edit or delete files from the sync.

Guest idef1x

a wish I would like is :

- to be able to select the options (Tracker, Relay, etc) for a sync folder before starting it

- to be able to configure the .SyncIgnore beforehand instead of preparing it and distribute it among the sync clients before creating the share.

- And/or be able to change the default .SyncIgnore (for me it's mainly missing the not sync my config files ie the hidden .* files)

- and to already asked for nested shares

A option to 'Trust this host' when syncing.

So we have keys to protect what we sync with whom. I would like to see an option such that you get a notification in the UI that a new host has tried to sync with a resource and then you can allow or deny this. It makes for a nice level of extra secuirty. This way the sync becomes locked down to each node and other nodes (even if they guess the key) can't connect.

1. List of items added to wishlist (i.e. roadmap)
2. Sending files between non-mobile and mobile devices
3. Context menu in computer and intents in Android for sending files
4. Scheduled sync
4a. Schedule by day/time (Mondays at 12:01am, etc.)
4b. Schedule by duration (pause sync for 1 week duration, resume until synchronized, then pause again for 1 week)

5. Set mobile device as predefined host (for syncing through offline WLAN hotspot)

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

A friendlier UX for sharing on Windows

• Ability to share individual file
  • A contextual menu based sharing - right click on folder or individual file and share this - sharing info (qr code, secret keys, etc) presented in a nice UI right away - and one-click-copy feature for secret key.
  • drag and drop file/folder into the UI and sharing info (qr code, secret keys, etc) presented right away in a nice UI.

Streaming

• ability to stream media directly from source and serve as a local network streaming server.

Hey there.

While browsing the new "Sync Hacks" forum, an idea came to my mind.

If it can be done, would be pretty awesome.

The thing is: Provide a binary which runs on VMware ESXi 5.x environments.

I currently run a single VMware ESXi (free edition) hosting a couple of VMs. Using a NAS here is way to expensive in terms of providing enough IOPS, so I stick to an internal RAID controller wich does RAID10 with 4 SATA-HDDs. I know, it's kind of a playground environment and far away from supported configuration, but that's not as unusual for geeky guys :).

It would be pretty awesome if I could make the ESX do regular backups automatically to any cheap 2TB NAS for $100 just by btsync. My current backup setup is driven by ESXs interl exporting feature "copy virtual hdd to attached NFS storage". But that's one of to major disadvantages. I can either convert the virtual HDDs from regular to "2tb split", which is nice in terms of backup space usage but completely eliminates any offsite synchronization due to internal block shifts. Or I could backup the files "as they are", which would allow for rsync-like offsite mirrors but needs an awefull lot of storage space because the NFS way blows the spares away.

So the thing is: btsync here would be just great for both, backupping to locally attached storage and offsite backups.

Currently the linux builds die teling me "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error' what(): basic_string::assign".

Kind regards,

Stephan.