Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

errolbert pointed out on Feb 12 that we can make symlinks using operating system tools. This is true on Windows, and I have set up a folder shared with a read-only secret that contains "Junctions" on my WinXP SP3 system, that point to other folders, so I can select which information is shared via this folder and which is shared via a different folder, with some overlap.

I tried to do the on my Linux box. The Symlinks work OK, but when my Windows box tries to receive the folder containing the Linux symlinks, the plain files in the folder come through, but the TBSync running on the Windows box ignores the symbolic links and doesn't get what they point to. (The log file shows that this is what happens.) I'm running BTSync 1.1.48 on each side.

My request is that symlinks be followed when syncing from Linux to Windows as they are from Windows to Linux.

I would love to see an Archive mode. Almost like the Read Only Token mode, just taken one step further.

The way I would like it to work is that one node will never delete anything, not on their own local storage either. This would make BTSync perfect for offsite backup, and if I accidently delete a file it is not deleted on the backup node.

Perhaps this could be combined with versioning, or maybe versioning already solves this problem? How does that work today if I delete a file, and have a read only versioned node. Will the read only node keep the "non-deleted version", and if it does, then for how long?

Thanks, JP

I would really love to see the ability to register your public PGP key with a device. Then every device could have their own public PGP key setup for each person participating in the share. Then you could encrypt the files with everyones public keys so only they could open it before sending it. That way everyone would know the files are completely secure on each others machines.

This would make it better for businesses. For example my brother is a lawyer and it would make it much easier for him if it auto PGP encrypted the files as he put them in his sync folder.

Knowing they would be secure no matter what device they end up on, whether it be his phone or computer or coleague.

Improvements for the transfers tab:

• I would like to see progress bars for all current transfers.
  • I would like for the file path to be included with the file name.
  • I would like to see the list include all the queued files (the ones that aren't actively being transferred)
  • I would like to have the ability to drag and drop files to the top of the queue. That way I don't have to wait for 20 GB of movie files to transfer before I get the update to that important spreadsheet.
  • I would like the transfers to be split into two columns, one for uploads and one for downloads.
  • I would like the ability to pause just the uploads or just the downloads.
Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum. Greyed out items have since been implemented

I think the current "Read Only"/"Full Access" model needs to be improved.

While it's been good as a start, I think directionality should be more configurable (and referrred to as such).

It would be useful to be able to dictate on a per-machine basis the directionality of a Sync Folder, rather than only at initial setup.

For example, take Machine A, Machine B, Machine C.

If I configure a SyncFolder on A, then share the Full secret with B and Read-Only with C, then the only sync I can get is:

All from A to B, C

All from B to C, A

With no way to change any of that.

With the current options, this scenario isn't possible:

Sync all between computer A and B

Contribute ONLY from Computer C.

Perhaps having a secret for Inbound and Outbound would be more useful, then each Sync could be configured explicitely. This would also address having a "Backup" feature on the desktop that's similar to what's on the Android client.

Again, thanks for the great app and all the effort in the desktop and Android versions.

1. "Volume shadow copy" of "locked" or open files.

2. "Delta sync", or don't upload the entire file; just parts of file that are modified.

(I'd like to use BT Sync to backup MS Outlook's PST file, even when Outlook is open. Most Outlook users always have it open.)

Hello,

I am running version 1.1.48 on my PC. I like the addition of the History tab. Unfortunately, the history data disappears between stopping and restarting of the program.

Would it be possible to maintain the history data across the stopping and restarting of the program?

Thank you,

Dana

Great, thank you!

It would be nice to have a way to share the secrets in an easier way while avoiding e-mail transmission.

QR code?

or at least format the secret in blocks of 4 or five character?

Hi, the app does support QR codes. If you right click on a folder and select "Connect mobile" it will display a QR code.

1.Possibility to save unfinished files or ".!sync" files in folders outside sync location or inside a folder named something like ".temp".
2.utorrent like scheduler.
3.Remote device version in devices tab.
4.Pause sync for folders separately.
5.Removing a folder that is still syncing, removes only the synced files, not everything inside the folder on remote devices.
6.Possibility to force TCP everywhere.
7.Progress Bar for downloading files.
8.Some kind of indicator for files and folders that are still syncing or waiting to be synced, different icons for: a file to be uploaded, file to be downloaded or folder that still has files inside to be synced.
9.Possibility to define how many connections and how many files to download at the same time.
10.Queued files in transfer tab.
11.Full path for files listed.
12.Prioritize file transfer.
13.Seperate download and upload queues.

just read your post, and fixed my list ;)

Improvements for the transfers tab:
  • I would like to see progress bars for all current transfers.
  • I would like for the file path to be included with the file name.
  • I would like to see the list include all the queued files (the ones that aren't actively being transferred)
  • I would like to have the ability to drag and drop files to the top of the queue. That way I don't have to wait for 20 GB of movie files to transfer before I get the update to that important spreadsheet.
  • I would like the transfers to be split into two columns, one for uploads and one for downloads.
  • I would like the ability to pause just the uploads or just the downloads.
Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum. Greyed out items have since been implemented

I have just one wish:

A kickstarter project with a reasonable priced goal to release the source code under an open source license. I'm a fan of BSD licenses, but I'd be fine with the GPL, too.

I know, that's not a technical feature, but my data is precious to me. And I don't trust closed source. But I like the features of BitTorrent Sync.

1) HTTPS for the Linux Web UI.

2) Pre-defined hosts for the mobile app. Ability to turn off DHT, tracker, etc.

3) Selective sync for desktop clients. Specifically - clients should be able to browse the full file list available from all remote shares and then selectively download what is required without doing a full sync.

4) Linux Web UI: Much more detail about progress of downloads, which files are queued, which are complete. The Macintosh interface has quite a bit of that detail but the Linux Web UI is lacking. Actually, a native Linux client would solve all of this. The Web UI is beautiful, particularly for remote access and control, but a native client would be much better for a local machine.

5) Linux Web UI: How about listing the Device Name right next to where it says "Version 1.1.48 (up to date)". I have several tabs open with Web UIs for each of my remote machines and I either have to memorise the URLs (IP addresses) or click on Preferences to find out which one the name of the machine I'm looking at. I customised the HTML to replace the BitTorrent logo but it reverted upon reboot :)

6) Password protection for the mobile app.

7) Ongoing availability of apk downloads for Android app. Some of us don't have access to Google Play Store.

Overall a wonderful app/service and I continue to enjoy using it. Thanks.

I wish some day BitSync outgrows Samba, NFS, WebDAV and every else and becomes the 'de facto' sharing mechanism between all computing platforms.

The security and speed I get using this beauty is nearly unequaled as isn't the breeze it is to have it up and running in a snap both on Android, GNU+Linux and FreeBSD (didn't tried yet on lesser platforms).

Kudos for an awesome work guys.

Option for Block Level Syncing (of open files)

I wonder if it would be possible to also include block level synchronisation (including syncing open files).

By this it would be possible to sync a virtual machine to another host for backup purposes.

I am looking for such a scenario for NGOs IT in the field where a central server is virtualized

and a "hot copy" shall be backed up to a second hardware so that it can be started from that one

in case the first hardware fails.

Symlinking as you want is doable with your OS tools at a directory level. If you don't like command line, for windows there is https://code.google.com/p/symlinker/ and for Mac http://www.macupdate...41493/symlinker

You should place the symlinks before adding the share to a given SyncApp instance

This works with read-only secrets going from a Windows system to Linux or to another Windows system,

but not from Linux to Windows. (at least in BitTorrent Sync 1.1.48 of July 23).

My wishlist item is that Linux symbolic links be followed, at least when the sync is read-only, from the Linux system to elsewhere. Here's why:

I want to use BitTorrent Sync to support a software distribution system for free software used in language development, because it would be much easier for the recipients to set up on their computers than our current system based on Wuala "Groups".

I'd like to provide a syncable folder that contains symbolic links to all the software installers that a Windows (32-bit) user could want, and another one for 64-bit users. Then a folder for Linux users and one for Mac users.

As well as platform-specific software installers, there would be common material here such as fonts and reference material, and I would like to have a symbolic link in each of these folders to the things that are relevant to that platform.

But many recipients have slow or expensive internet connections in the countries where they work, so I'd also like to provide smaller offerings for them. For example, someone who wants to develop dictionaries on Win32 systems will want just a subset of the Everything-for-Win32 folder.

I have set up a pilot project as a read-only folder on my Windows box at home, and you can sync to it with this secret if you would like to try it out:

BYOP6QGBLEM3YDPLHA3TO233S4PFV7KY6

(It's on my laptop, so it isn't always on-line, and the link is often less than 1mbps, so if it doesn't work, try again later.)

It contains three Windows Junctions that point to other locations, and a plain file. The total is about 25 megabytes, so it's a very small sample of the whole 13 gig repository.

I'd like to set up these syncable folders on a Linux system, because they can be rented much more cheaply than Windows systems.

In my experiments, the Windows client log shows that the Linux system tells the Windows client that there are symbolic links there, but the Windows client doesn't get their contents. (The log line is:

[2013-07-24 22:52:12] SyncFilesController: Got file from remote (192.168.1.77:25801):

LangTran_Anthropology_Link state: 1 type: FT_SYMLINK total:0 have:0

t:1374667608 mt:1374670332 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000

)

I have heard that symbolic links work Linux to Linux, but have not been able to test it.

My request is that the Windows and Mac (& mobile?) clients be able to follow symbolic links on Linux systems, at least where they are read-only links and the links point to locations on the same computer as the link.