[Now Implemented!] Bandwidth/sync Scheduling

MrSigma

• 3 weeks later...

...but a bandwidth limiter would also be an option...

This feature already exists in SyncApp! You can already specify separate download and upload speed limits! (granted, you can't "schedule" these limits at present to have different ones at different times of day, but if you're concerned about your bandwith, you can globally limit the amount that SyncApp will use)

• 1 month later...

I would like to have more control on bandwith and # connections (I prefer different settings for local traffic on my LAN vs remote through the router).

Not necessaire to have them in the preferences section, but on Windows I can't import/export settings via the command line (like linux)

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to see a schedule.

My ISP has decided that unlimited bandwidth is a thing of the past and unfortunately for me, they are my only option. But, at least they do give an 8 hour window each day (12am-8am) where they do not count data. So, I would prefer to have BTSync only access the internet during these hours.

However, i don't know if this is how it works, but if the machine is on the same LAN, I would like it to sync all of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

This feature already exists in SyncApp! You can already specify separate download and upload speed limits! (granted, you can't "schedule" these limits at present to have different ones at different times of day, but if you're concerned about your bandwith, you can globally limit the amount that SyncApp will use)

Ideally a bandwidth limiter exactly like is present in uTorrent would be awesome. Simple and obvious interface, works great.

• 4 weeks later...

Yo, first post, love the app!

I was going to request a scheduler, then realised it's been requested alot already and that it's on the to-do list etc. Scheduling for me is critical, for video editing type work you generate alot of massive temp data files that may be deleted an hour later, and syncing it *continuously* is a huge drain on hard drive and network. Per-folder scheduling would save this problem.

Just curious if there is any idea when that will make it into a new build?

cheers

Yo, first post, love the app!

I was going to request a scheduler, then realised it's been requested alot already and that it's on the to-do list etc. Scheduling for me is critical, for video editing type work you generate alot of massive temp data files that may be deleted an hour later, and syncing it *continuously* is a huge drain on hard drive and network. Per-folder scheduling would save this problem.

Just curious if there is any idea when that will make it into a new build?

cheers

I have a similar issue, but you can get round the temp files part, by excluding them using the SyncIgnore file that is created in each folder. Its not perfect, but may give you a partial fix. I too would love a scheduler ;)

• 2 months later...
You can limit down/upload bandwidth
Even with bandwidth limits on both ends, BitTorrent Sync brings my home network to its knees. I have 802.11g, and even with the bandwidth limit on BitTorrent set at 5Kbs, it locks out the browser on any other machine on the network. It seem to me that is more than just a bandwidth-hogging problem.

I have it backing up 3 different directories, one of which is my Thunderbird data.

What would be nice would be to schedule BitTorrent Sync to start up at about 1am, and run full bore until about 4am, then shut down.

• 2 weeks later...

A schedule/calendar feature for an enabling the Sync ... (similar to MS Task Scheduler)

ie. If you want to have the client be used as a backup copy ... you could disable the sync by a schedule . hence the files would not be updated while it's offline.

This way if it was only active for say 2hours each day (assuming you could do a complete sync within that time frame) You would in effect have a daily backup on that PC.

sorry I went back and saw this was already suggested....

Edited by toerag

Yes - In general, all features so a peer-to-peer system can replace "TimeMachine", "iCloud" and "DropBox" on my families pile of devices. ( I am effectively their "tribal" administrator )

One of these is time based scheduling to avoid backup latency and resource consumption conflicts.

Potentially scheduling of "bandwidth restrictions" for different times of the day.

Hello,

a schredule system could be great because performance of my network are bad when SyncApp run :)

Great job!

MrSigma

• 1 month later...

I wish you could schedule upload bandwidth usage. If you've ever used uTorrent, it handles this nicely. The GUI they use for scheduling is perfect, with the colored boxes you click on. After a certain hour, say 5PM, I wish to increase upload bandwidth available to BTSync. During business hours, reduce it. A few of my clients are schools and have a paltry 128kbps upload cap (free "municipal" cable internet provided by Time Warner to schools). I would like to max that out at night or sometimes I have issues getting all their data to sync within a 24 hour period. Eventually on a day they don't create much data it catches up, but I would like to help it out where I can. I think this feature would be useful for a lot of people. 

My usage: I am using BTSync on a server, with ~15 clients connected. My server uses read-only keys to make a backup of my client's data. In the end it works much like carbonite. It has been stable for the last few months and works nicely. I think since I use read-only keys I have avoided the bugs people have reported where certain files were overwritten, things like that.

We used to use rsync under Windows/cygwin, but it was quite clumsy and I was always running into permission issues and the rsync hung a lot. Thank you for making BTSync!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another one for the collection: Scheduling

I'l like to be able to configure a schedule of maximum bandwidth allocation for any jobs syncing over the internet (to IP addresses on a different subnet?).

For example: I'm syncing a number of machines on my LAN, but would also like to sync to some other machines over the internet. My ISP imposes a monthly cap on bandwidth usage, but between midnight and 8am usage is not metered/restricted. As such I'd like to limit / restrict syncing over the internet to that time window.

BitTorrent clients such as uTorrent and BitComet provide schedulers for (what I presume to be) this very purpose. I'd love to see something similar in BitTorrent Sync. As an optional extra, maybe provide a second schedule for IP addresses on the LAN.

Thanks for your consideration

• 3 months later...

For completeness, the following users also previously requested such features in the original Wishlist thread:

1. Scheduled sync.

I like the Scheduled sync "Exactly like the time table in utorrent"

* uTorrent style scheduling would be even nicer - for optimizing transfers in networks with strong time/related congestion

Schedule control - with definable up/dl ratios

2. Scheduled sync and sync on demand (partialy implemented as "pause syncing").

- Syncing connection usage scheduling. The Ability of giving different Folders different priorities for the syncing. Like "sync this folder as quick as possible" or "sync this folder faster in the night", "don't sync this folder, when i am using mobile internet/slow connection speed".

2) scheduled sync.

1. scheduling runtime would be helpful for almost everyone.

DayPart scheduling (reducing up/down between the hours of 12:00 - 17:00).

2.utorrent like scheduler.

Continued...

...continued

For completeness, the following users also previously requested such features in the original Wishlist thread:

4. Scheduled sync

4a. Schedule by day/time (Mondays at 12:01am, etc.)

4b. Schedule by duration (pause sync for 1 week duration, resume until synchronized, then pause again for 1 week)

A scheduler would be fine

2. Scheduler

2. Schedule system

The ability to set a schedule for syncs to happen, per device and per share.

First of all this app is way cool. Having the ability to set bandwidth presets then select them from the taskbar icon would be cool so you quickly drop the bandwidth usage down or turn it up. Also having the ability to schedule the presets would be really great so you could run full bandwidth through the night and drop it down in the morning.

Hello

Not sure if someone suggested this already:

Is it possible to add feature to turn on syncing and off syncing on particular time of the day. This way I can save some bandwidth for work and sync overnight?

Thanks

Edited by djoxy

I have a couple of big collections ( 10,000s of files ) that I would like to share. These collections change very little, on average 5 files per day. The current way BTSync works, with file watches for every file and a 10-minute interval file system scan is overkill for this purpose. So I think it would be nice to be able to disable file watches and control the file scan interval time on a shared folder basis.