Locking files?

techineer54

My problem is that I download files mainly in Excel or CSV format directly from 3rd party platforms such as Am Ex, EShares etc. Those files seem to be locked and I don't know how or why. Once I actually restart my sync although the locked message goes away, the files remain in locked status and never sync across my network.

I did find a workaround which is going into each of these locked files, making a single edit such as putting the #1 or any keystroke into a single cell, then hitting save. Once I do that the files start syncing across and I presume is now unlocked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked on a powerpoint file for a few hours today, moved it from my documents folder to a resilio sync folder (sync pro 2.4.4). 

Tonight, when I opened sync, it says that file is locked. I closed that file hours ago. This "locked file" message happens frequently with colleagues and myself. Files are said to be locked but sometimes appear fine to others. Usually closing and restarting sync removed the locked file message BUT one should not have to stop and restart sync every time one works on a file in sync folder. 

Hopefully your team is actively working on this issue. 

I'm also confirming issues with locked files syncing in Windows.  Full details:

1) Often work with a lot of MS Office files (Excel + Word mainly).  When I open a file, make changes, and save the 1st time, I get a UI popup saying can't sync file because file is locked.  This is OK and normal expected behavior [though I wish I can have setting to disable those popups...]

2) However, I find that even after I close out of Excel or Word completely, Resilio still shows some (but not all) of the files I worked with as being locked.  The ONLY way to fix this is by restarting Resilio in which case those files will sync.  This seems to mean the files weren't locked anymore and Resilio just thought they were for some reason before the restart?

3) One more twist - tonight, I noticed one Excel file that did NOT sync even after restarting Resilio (and waiting for it to index folders for a couple of minutes).  I only managed to get it to sync again after I opened the file, and saved it again.  Not sure if this is also a bug, or just a random 1-time thing.  

I appreciate that the Resilio team is looking into this but just want to state the obvious that this is probably an issue that should be prioritized because Resilio users are relying on the fact that sync keeps folders identical and allows us to access documents on any device...

Love the product otherwise!

Thanks

2) Can you please send the logs to me: reproduce the locked file, close it, see that sync reports it as locked, restart sync and collect the logs, send these to support and please mention the file name . Here's full instruction

3) that looks like the file was not released at first, like explained here . if that didn't happen long ago, mention this file name as well, I'll check the log. 

Dear Helen / Resilio Support,

We are having the exact same issue. Both v2.4.4 and v2.4.3 are not working. As long as a file was locked, Resilio failed to re-sync it ***AFTER*** the file became unlocked. Did your engineers find the root cause yet? Looking forward to a fix soon.

It is a great and perfect product without this fault. Thank you!!

Best,

Alex

I can confirm the locked files just don't seem to be syncing like they used to.

We have issues with AutoCAD drawing files and Sync.  When working on a drawing the file shows up as locked as expected.  After you close the file Sync does not sync the data to the other devices.  Seems to consistently not sync these files even after closed, and even after restarting the Sync services on all devices.

We also see this with recent Excel files.  Even after closing they never sync.  Obviously this is a big issue.

In older versions of Sync if a file was locked it appeared that after the file was closed the file would sync to other devices.  It is difficult to tell when it is working or not now.  You have to manually compare folders which is no fun. 

A nice feature would be an option to re-scan the folder structure and look for files that are not synced.  I read about removing the folder and recreating it, but that is not an acceptable method in my mind.

We're looking at Connect for a larger implementation but no way we are making that investment if Connect has the same type of issue.

Looking forward to a new version that resolves this major bug.

I'll chime in here.  Windows clients affected but not MacOS.  

-Running latest version of Sync client.  

-.DOCX and .XLSX files are created by a user and saved.  In some cases, but not all, file is reported by Sync client to be locked.

-Closing Word/Excel does not fix the issue. 

-Restarting sync client on their device does not resolve the issue.

-ProcessManager reports that file is in use by Explorer.exe.

-Throttling Explorer.exe via Task Manager, pause/resume sync and File Locked error goes away in Sync client.  But, file does not sync to other devices.  I have found no way to sync this file.

-Duplicating this file via copy/paste and it syncs instantly.  Right now we are deleting the original and renaming the copy.

@Landini76,

the team in looking into it and is taking into account all the reports from this thread. Everyone is welcome to contact support directly to get personalized attention and have their case investigated individually. 

On 2/9/2017 at 3:37 PM, Helen said:

2) Can you please send the logs to me: reproduce the locked file, close it, see that sync reports it as locked, restart sync and collect the logs, send these to support and please mention the file name . Here's full instruction

thank you. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The duration of open files seems making a difference. I also work with Office and some other popular software and if I store a file of all software and close that application after storing the file, in every time the locks goes away. Is the time between that is longer, I have also the lock problem.

I think it´s a right and owner problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this issue on 2.4.2 (708):

1. Resilio correctly detects files that are locked by another application (E.g., Excel) and does not sync them.

2. After the lock is released by the other app (e.g., closing Excel), Resilio does not re-attempt the sync.  The file(s) stay marked as locked forever.

3. The only way to get the files to sync correctly is to restart the Resilio client.

I've confirmed via Windows 10 process explorer and resource monitor that this happens for files that have no outstanding locks or handles.

I agree with Andy--the lock issue does seem to happen most frequently for files that are left open in another app for a long time.  

• 4 weeks later...

Had this same issue here this morning:

-Closed excel file I'd had open for a while, and moved it to a folder where resilio would find it to sync
-immediately got the "file is locked" message (even though I had just closed *and* moved it)

I made a copy of the file into the same folder, and even this file got the locked file message. So it's either something with the folder, excel files, or that one particular file. copying and pasting the file should definitely have made a fully unlocked copy if anything was still trying to lock it. 

Hello,

Just wanted to say that i also have a problem with locked files.

My usecase: 

- windows 10 pro x64 vm on vmware pro 12.

- vm location: parity storage spaces, with parity (RAID 1 equivalent)

- i am copying a 3 GB 3000 photos (jpeg, tiff, etc.) to the same folder, which is synced. (ctrl+a -> ctrl +v  10 times ).

- this means that i have  10 windows explorer copy dialogs open.

- while resilio is syncing with my other vm (identical to this one, on the same virtual storage pool), some files appear as locked, and even after the file copy is finished and the VMs restarted, and resilio restarted as well, it sill does not sync the locked files. 

- even more: now it simply doesnt' show that there are any unsynced files.

- in order to see that there are unsynced files, i use windows explorer-> show properties, and see how many files are on the disk of the target vm.

As you can see, in my usecase there is nothing weird happening, just me copying some files. Note that since i am doing so many different copies, the copy speed is very slow, maybe even less than 10 MBPS.

• 5 weeks later...

Had same problems, locking files, no sync after quitting office365 applications. Luckily I first tested it with the free version. 

All solved after going back to 2.3.8. Updates are almost immediately, don't even have to close excel. 

I cannot understand how Resilio can be in such denial of this elementary problem... not syncing correctly...

Any other issues to be aware of with the older version? Or better to forget about sync completely?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use both Resilio to sync to other computers as Google Drive to keep a backup in the cloud. But now when editing a doc(x) both Resilio and Google complain. Resilio that a file is locked, Google that I moved it to the Bin and occasionally Atlantis freaks and discuvers the file is uneditable. Are they conflicting or is Atlantis WP to blame?

2017-08-29 10_27_13-.jpg

2017-09-02 18_07_00-.jpg

2017-09-02 18_36_50-Atlantis Word Processor.jpg

@mcleaver
Are you using the latest version?
Was the "Resilio to sync to other computers as Google Drive to keep a backup in the cloud" was this working before or first time setup?
If it was working before then what was changed when the error started happening?
For cloud backup between pcs I use dropbox. For testing you might want to see if this is any better or same error.
I didn't have good experience with One Drive, it basically synced my old files over my new files.

From these tests you can get a better idea who might be at fault.
Good luck.

For everyone else I am still using BTSync 2.3.8 as posted in Feb 23 since it is still working fine.

• 5 months later...

Is there any news to this problem?

I just tried to add a folder from my old Synology 412+ (6.2) to my new Synology 718+ (6.2). And as soon as I add a file from my Mac to one of the Synology folders (using smb), I am getting the exact 'locked' file error...

Now I have 3 sync folders and everything has a different state. I restarted the Synologies Sync, re-added the folders, changed/verified permissions, but nothing worked.

Any idea - except using 2.3.8?

@tiptronic Please note that 2.3.8 it is an outdated app version and I recommend you to update all peers to the most recent 2.5.12 and after it check the results. Please note that since 2.4.0 app version Sync was rebranded from BitTorrent to Resilio Sync app. Please do learn details in this article before the app updating. As for the latest version for Synology please use this link.