Out Of Sync - No Peers Online

stefsegers

Hello.

I recently upgraded my home server from just a stripped down win 7 to server 2012 r2 standard ,,, i saved all the keys from BTsync and backed up all data and on the new machine created a pool with volumes etc. after re-installing BTsync and adding keys things dident go so good so I uninstalled and removed all BTsync files/folders etc...

Installed 1.4.110 on all PC's and server with all new keys.

This time I added folders slowly and let them index and was going good for the first few small ones. Now there's not much happening and some of the files i changed on the folders that I let sync are just sitting there (all night) without being updated...

This is happening on LAN and Remote PC's

The debug log is not producing anything except FFFF

Could this be a ReFS file system thing ???

Also if i hover over the out of sync it says the my server is offline but under peers it is connected...

@herbert, @carloxp

Please check your mailboxes - I've sent you a build.

@Petrenko_denis

Looks like you are using some package. Just run "ps aux | grep sync" to find out where sync binary is actually started. It could happen that executable name actually differs from default "btsync"

usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core  I need to replace this file with btsync that  you emailed me ?

UPDATE: Tried this and any other combination of files. Every time I got "bla bla forked to background" and then nothing on my_ip:8888

Is there a send feedback option for nas/webgui? Or another way to send the log file from my nas?

I seem to be suffering a lack of peers and out of sync issues also, at first I thought this was due to trackers see post here

however since then I've discovered that I am still having issues even if I use the tracker service I find my files are out of sync and all have 0 peers even when all peers are online and connected to the same lan. have the search lan option enabled on all devices.

Created a completely new test folder on my nas and linked it to a test folder on my laptop. theory was being a completely new folder and new sync shouldn't be any issues regarding old files or possible indexing errors, but this hasn't helped as even this test folder has 0 peers.

So I'm pretty stuck really. and could use some help

@carloxp

I've sent it to mailbox your forum account registered to on Friday Feb 13. I also duplicated to your forum PM today.

@Petrenko_denis

Yep, you need to rename btsync to sync-core and replace old one. You should not start it manually - use commands supplied with your package ("service btsync start" IIRC). In general, after replacing it should work exactly as before and listen same ports and NICs.

@calvyb

The most common thing to check on Linux machine is permissions. Check what is the user running your Sync and if it has enough permissions to read and write data to:

a) folders you want to Sync

B) your storage folder (.sync by default, though can be adjusted in config)

@jwk2801

Yep, I need debug logs to find out what happens there. ReFS could be an issue, although Sync rescans all the folders for changes every 10 minutes by default so it should detect changes even if ReFS driver does not send any notificaitons.

I

@carloxp

I've sent it to mailbox your forum account registered to on Friday Feb 13. I also duplicated to your forum PM today.

@Petrenko_denis

Yep, you need to rename btsync to sync-core and replace old one. You should not start it manually - use commands supplied with your package ("service btsync start" IIRC). In general, after replacing it should work exactly as before and listen same ports and NICs.

@calvyb

The most common thing to check on Linux machine is permissions. Check what is the user running your Sync and if it has enough permissions to read and write data to:

a) folders you want to Sync

B) your storage folder (.sync by default, though can be adjusted in config)

@jwk2801

Yep, I need debug logs to find out what happens there. ReFS could be an issue, although Sync rescans all the folders for changes every 10 minutes by default so it should detect changes even if ReFS driver does not send any notificaitons.

I decided to start all over again. Kill all btsync processes. Apt-get remove. Search btsync and delete every last bit of btsync from the sytem. Then at-get install again. 

Now auto configure does not start.

"Service btsync status" returns "unrecognied service"

I don't think the issue is with file permissions. If I restart my nas it will detect and connect to peers and sync files as it should, it appears that once a connection is lost it never gets re-established, hence why files begin to show out of sync and shares have no peers,

so if my laptop is on when I reboot my nas it finds my laptop and will work normally until my laptop gets turned off. when it gets turned back on it neither it or my nas will find each other, it seems to be the same issue with my galaxy mobile.

it's almost as if the search lan feature is broken or sync stops searching after a period of time..

syncs seem to be working fine with trackers after a device restart and following a response in the 1.4.110 thread I've set my debug to 0000, and thus far my nas both syncs normally and sleeps when idle, but if I turn trackers off and rely on the lan search then I get out of sync and no peers.

Will leave trackers on for a few days with the debug at 0000 and see how things work out.. if my devices keep in sync and sleep normally then my issues are pretty much solved,

just thought I'd share my experiences of what happens without trackers and relying on the lan search option.

@calvyb

Actually, starting from 1.3 sync no longer searches for devices all the time in LAN. It is multicasting for devices in LAN for around 10 seconds after it starts OR after some network interface changes.

I'm curious about this part in your story:

so if my laptop is on when I reboot my nas it finds my laptop and will work normally until my laptop gets turned off. when it gets turned back on it neither it or my nas will find each other, it seems to be the same issue with my galaxy mobile.

Are you shutting down your laptop or you just close the lid and let it sleep? When NAS and laptop does not see each other, does the simple restart of Sync (not the whole device) on either NAS or laptop helps?

@Petrenko_denis

For the package issues you can ask for more information here. The package owner is usually very responsive and can help you with installation.

Meanwhile, you can you try running Sync without package. You need to simply run Sync binary. WebUI will listen 127.0.0.1:8888 by default and will store data in .sync subfolder next to binary.

@RomanZ

I believe it to be a multicasting issue as per your info.

if the nas is is idle for any length of time then when I turn on my laptop then it will not find any peers.

if I then restart the service on my nas a connection will be established between the 2 devices until my laptop once again shuts down or gets taken out of the house.

you mentioned sync will multicast for a few minutes after the service is started so I believe this is why a restart works, I believe the problem lies in where sync is supposed to multicast when the network detects a change, It seems either no changes in network are detected or the multicast simply isn't triggered.

I am going to grab a spare computer tomorrow and install and run sync on that, leave it running in the same fashion as my nas and see if it replicates the problem.

idea is to put a test folder to sync on the computer one on the nas and have both sync to the laptop.

then see if the laptop will find a peer for either of those folders when connected to the network,

will try that over 24 hours or so and mail in any logs and findings I come across.

EDIT: Oh - naahh... spoke too soon. I redefined all my folders as I wanted read only sync on my local folders and, hey presto, the problem is back, "Out of sync" and "No peers online to receive" xxGb. In fact there should only be around 3 Gb that actually need syncing - that is another strange aspect of this problem. A TON of files get listed in the History tab which do NOT need syncing - dating back months and months. As far as I can see on the remote computer it's not actually doing anything anyway. Very frustrating as I was really pleased with the way BTSync was working as an ongoing remote backup for my files.

Just watching the behaviour again - most of the time an Out of Sync message, with the occasionally "flurry" of activity, allegedly uploading something at a snail's pace of a few kb/s, and then the speed dips back down again and we go back to "Out of Sync". That's the annoying thing with this - the computers ARE communicating, it seems, but the actual syncing is going awry.

Have been following the thread since December, having had the same problem intermittently. Just want to chime in and say that 1.4.110 seems to have fixed the issue for me, syncing is going ahead normally. I made no changes to settings, permissions, folders, anything like that, just upgraded automatically on both computers. Can't be 100% sure it wasn't working in a previous version too, but it certainly is now. Got a big sync to do now...

@calvyb

[...]so I believe this is why a restart works,[...]

Do I understand correctly that restarting Sync is enough - or only whole laptop restart works?

@markowe

As I understand you've got only 2 peers - local RW and remote RO, right? Try setting "Overwrite changed files" preference on RO peer and see if it helps.

you can you try running Sync without package. You need to simply run Sync binary. WebUI will listen 127.0.0.1:8888 by default and will store data in .sync subfolder next to binary.

This does not work. I downloaded a tar.gz. Started it. "bla bla bla forked to background". It created the .sync directory next to it with the bunch of files. But still nothing on my_ip:8888

Here is the .sync/sync.log

There were no changes with the router. The machine is running on VPS. It worked before I tried the new verion. And I don't have a firewall on that machine.

platform: Linux 3.16.0-28-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 8 17:15:28 UTC 2014 x86_64

version: 1.4.10025
[20150220 08:47:10.198] total physical memory 536870912 max disk cache 2097152
[20150220 08:47:10.199] Using IP address xxxxx
[20150220 08:47:10.201] My PeerID: 10F2
[20150220 08:47:14.233] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.
[20150220 08:47:19.239] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.
[20150220 08:47:22.244] NAT-PMP: Unable to map port with NAT-PMP.
[20150220 08:47:24.247] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.
[20150220 08:47:29.256] UPnP: Unable to map port xxxxxx:25517 with UPnP.

@Roman.

it is the nas device. if I stop and start the sync service on the nas (withoug rebooting the nas itself) it will find and connect to my laptop.

however if I switch my laptop off for a couple of hours and back on, then my nas won't find it again and the service on my nas needs to be restarted.

the last few lines of my nas log are as follows:-

[20150220 22:43:18.319] Send ping to peer (1074970146925A771F7272D13DBB21CF7FDAD0F1) for share AD896A42F8C6572DA71116B87B522DBFBF72695F:

[20150220 22:43:18.319] ping 10.100.1.150:23035

[20150220 22:43:20.359] Send ping to peer (1074970146925A771F7272D13DBB21CF7FDAD0F1) for share AD896A42F8C6572DA71116B87B522DBFBF72695F:

[20150220 22:43:20.359] ping 10.100.1.150:23035

[20150220 22:43:20.359] Checking connection to 10.100.1.150:23035:TCP

[20150220 22:43:20.869] Send ping to peer (1074970146925A771F7272D13DBB21CF7FDAD0F1) for share AD896A42F8C6572DA71116B87B522DBFBF72695F:

[20150220 22:43:20.869] ping 10.100.1.150:23035

[20150220 22:43:21.329] Failed to open tunnel to 10.100.1.150:23035:TCP

[20150220 22:43:21.329] SF[695F] [D0F1]: peer lost

in regard to my earlier post and my mini test. leaving a pc in an always on state with a second test folder to sync seems to have better results.

at time of writing this sync on my laptop currently finds 1 peer for a folder "test 2" which is on the other computer. but no peers for "test 1" which is on my nas.

there was a period earlier where it wouldn't establish a peer to the other computer either but windows update restarted my laptop and it re-established a peer to the pc, but still no peer to the nas.

Trackers were disabled on all shares on all machines during my tests. relying on lan to sync. having worked from pc to pc I wonder if the problem could be a Linux one.

Will send logs from all 3 devices after posting this. hopefully will help identify the problem.

note these problems only occur when trackers are disabled, if I enable trackers on my shares and set the debug to 0000 on nas then i have no issues at all thus it seems to be a lan problem of some description..

@markowe

As I understand you've got only 2 peers - local RW and remote RO, right? Try setting "Overwrite changed files" preference on RO peer and see if it helps.

Yes, you understood my garbled explanation (but see my query below).

I THINK I tried it, but not since I reinstalled, I will give it another go. Only, can you clarify, as I find this a little confusing: my local computer is meant to sync with a remote computer which is only allowed to READ from my local computer, not make any changes to it - i.e. I am doing an ongoing backup, basically, to a remote computer. So the remote peer is the one I have given a RO key from my local computer for the relevant folder. Is that the correct usage for what I want to achieve? I also want all versions backed up on the remote peer (indefinitely, or at least 1000 days - I have set that part in the advanced settings).

So what does "Overwrite changed files" mean in that context - I can't find a clear explanation anywhere. If I check that option, will my versioning still happen on the remote peer? I don't want changes from my local computer simply overwriting what is on the remote peer as I often need to roll back versions, so I am just nervous about changing that setting - but I am sure someone can clarify.

So what does "Overwrite changed files" mean in that context - I can't find a clear explanation anywhere.

If you have two devices syncing A and B, A has a "full access" key, and B has a "read only" key, any changes you make on B won't propagate back to A.

The "Overwrite any changed files" option on B brings the device back in line with the current content of A.

Example:

1) On device A you add a text file with some text and save it as "test.txt"

2) "test.txt" subsequently appears on device B

3) You make a change to the content of "test.txt" on A

4) The change propagates to B

5) You make a change to the content of "test.txt" on B

6) The change DOES NOT propagate back to A (as B has a "read only" key)

The result is that B is now out of sync with A.

"Overwrite any changed files" on B will re-sync A to B again so that both device's content is the same (and any changes made on B would be lost)

If you have two devices syncing A and B, A has a "full access" key, and B has a "read only" key, any changes you make on B won't propagate back to A.

The "Overwrite any changed files" option on B brings the device back in line with the current content of A.

[...]

"Overwrite any changed files" on B will re-sync A to B again so that both device's content is the same (and any changes made on B would be lost)

THANK you! That is by far and away the clearest explanation I have read of this option! OK, yes, there should be no changes happening on B anyway so it is fine for them to be overwritten, presumably versioning will continue regardless of this.

I shall go away and try this, as I had read this recommendation earlier in the thread, so hope that will give me some joy. Thanks again.

@carloxp

Installed version 1.4.10025 on my NAS (Synology DS214play), on a desktop Win8.1 and on a notebook Win8.1.

After testing for about 1 week, I can say that on my side the problem (Out Of Sync - No Peers Online) seem solved. The directories are synced without problem.

p.s.: what is the last version? On the website the last version is 1.4.110, and I'm currently using 1.4.10025. I have not clear the standard naming used for version numbering. 110 is higher/newer than 10025?

Thank you

OK, have tried the "Overwrite any changed files" solution and YES, all seems to be good now! Wonder why that didn't seem to work before. Maybe it started working because I uninstalled BTS along with all the settings and reinstalled.

THANKS. It kind of makes sense that it would get stuck, I guess, since it doesn't know what it's supposed to be doing, but it's odd that the error message suggests a connection problem...

On another note, though, but maybe related, why does the file list under Peer list for the given folder contain ALL the files in that folder, not just the ones that need syncing? And similarly, why under the "History" (clock) tab is there also a complete list of files, including ones that don't need syncing? Is it that the local machine doesn't know which files need updating and so "syncs" them all (even if that just means running a checksum on them on the remote machine, or whatever)? I hope it's not actually syncing them all again - though my Progress hasn't budged from 1% in some time, which somewhat suggests it's syncing everything (about 200 GB-worth instead of only 10 GB, say)?!

Have system syncing roughly 1.5 TB between two USB hard drives in separate locations.  Files are located in 4 separate sync folders.

Issue I'm having is that one or more of the synced folder will lock in "Out of Sync" state.  I'm running V1.4.110  on a Win7 64 bit on one end and 32bit Vista on the other.   Both ends are fully patched.  

Until today, I've always been able to clear that state by locating all 0 byte (non .!Sync) files on the receiving end of the "out of sync" folder pair.  Today this failed.  The only 0 byte files present had .!Sync extensions.  I tried deleting these files, but they were recreated without restoring proper sync operation.  (I.e., they were recreated but state remained "out of sync" and the Peers column showed 1 of 1 Peer like it should.)

Today I did clear the out of sync state by stopping Sync on both ends (both peers simultaneously) then restarting BTSync on both machines.  (Initially I stopped only one end but the fault remained after restarting that process.)

Two notes:  1) I have never had this problem in the first folder (which is orders of magnitude larger than the others both in file count and total bytes and synchronizes many more files than all others together), only on the three secondary folders (most commonly on the second largest folder of the four which is the next busiest).  2) I attempted to collect logs today, but found that they restarted with BTSync and all information from the previous "out of sync" state was already lost. 

I still have thousands of files in the largest folder resyncing, so the logs use up the appearent 10 MB default size limit very quickly (in 2 to 3 minutes!).  Anything I can do to increase this log file size and catch this in the act next time?