Is Resilio Sync dead?

In august 2019 

I wonder who believes in the liveliness of Resilio as a product?

I write because I still like this product. Let this be my complaint = gift.

Maybe it will be more honest to write that there are only "2 developers" and there will be no development in the next year?! And then "the matrix reloaded". And there will be a new NewsilioSync product.

Resilio was lived in august 2019.png

Edited by MaxA
edit

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@MaxA

We have enough amount of developers.

Why are you constantly asking about new version?

Which new feature are you waiting for?

Do you have any troubles with current version?

Resilio Sync is an app for file synchronization and it does it.

What else do you want from it?

New version will be released  this year. 

Alex, thank you for your attention to my posts.

19 hours ago, Alex. said:

The rhythm of life of the product is displayed by new versions. Updating 1 time in 2 years in the modern rhythm of life is a zombie product. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes. 100% and the blue circle on my mac OS Catalina does not complete. I am not satisfied with the decision to install a custom build (it is not skipped by the mac OS security system :-))

I don't know.
Maybe Resilio will impress me with something in the future so that I can spend more money on It.

Yes. Almost. "100% blue circle" is not resolved on Mac OS for me. And the proposed solution does not suit me.

20 hours ago, Alex. said:

If you don't need feedback, close the forum.

20 hours ago, Alex. said:

Cool. I hope this will solve all existing situations and add calmness and confidence to everyone.
Calm, just calm. And have a good weekend.

I'm annoyed by constant updates of modern apps and programs. They add a simple feature and think it's worth an update. Next day, the feature gets fixed, next update. Next day, they fix a spelling error, update. Next day they change .... update update update.

Each week every program thinks it must get updated because of nothingness. That's stupid!

In this way, I'm happy, that Resilio Sync works and does not release constant minor updates.

Resilio could release an update, just for the sake of an update, and lots of people would be glad to receive an update. They don't care what got fixed, they just want an update. Just think about this nonsense!

9 minutes ago, Frank Maier said:

I'm annoyed by constant updates of modern apps and programs. They add a simple feature and think it's worth an update. Next day, the feature gets fixed, next update. Next day, they fix a spelling error, update. Next day they change .... update update update.

Each week every program thinks it must get updated because of nothingness. That's stupid!

In this way, I'm happy, that Resilio Sync works and does not release constant minor updates.

Resilio could release an update, just for the sake of an update, and lots of people would be glad to receive an update. They don't care what got fixed, they just want an update. Just think about this nonsense!

Dude, just don't update your programs and stop complaining about an issue only existing in your head. Talk about nonsense...

The users generally chomping at the bit for updates is that we have chronic issues that don't get addressed. So for us as users, we always have to decide to put up with bugs/workarounds or look for another program. If development is stopped, then we know to look for permanent solutions, not temporary workarounds. If development isn't stopped, then an update may fix it and then its wait and see. Plenty of updates in the past have resolved previous issues, just look at the change log! For me, Resilio just isn't the syncing app for me for music on Android and time for alternate solutions.  I sold my NAS because Resilio kept making it run out of memory. On the desktop, they generate a high amount of system interrupts and freezes up my PC during 1Gbps+ transfers (I have 10Gbps NICs). Syncs that show "a few seconds" that have hours to transfer or have no active peers online (this bug has been there for ages and irritates the crap out of me). Syncs that have a few conflicts but when you go to see which files, it says no peers online, or never shows the names of the files to better understand the problem or how to resolve them. They default to debug logging so your SSD's are getting written to constantly. The debug requires a decoder ring and not written for easy debugging except by Resilio. Lots of little things you see when you use the program a lot or have more devices or more situations, etc.

If they were fixing bugs in their Android app or their NAS apps, then waiting 6+ months between releases makes no sense as they're depriving users of fixes. Going a long time between releases on new features or changes in operation makes it harder to correct if the users do not like them. There are always bugs and unforeseen problems in software, but the longer between releases and the bigger the changes in each release, the harder it is to find the root cause of new bugs or undo unpopular changes.  

11 hours ago, Frank Maier said:

Unless in the ideal world in which any software does not have bugs... but in the real world we are living in that does not apply.

I don't understand why you're annoyed of updates, because you have the option of not updating.

22 hours ago, eltopo said:

Unless in the ideal world in which any software does not have bugs... but in the real world we are living in that does not apply.

I don't understand why you're annoyed of updates, because you have the option of not updating.

It's about the importance of the bugfixes. I'm annoyed by meaningless minor single bugfixes. Just collect them and release an update with several bugfixes. Timbo listet a few, so it might be worth. But some of them are odd complaints:

@Timbo

NAS and RAM: I don't see the bug. I just see that a user tries to run more demanding software on some vastly underpowered device. I also run Resilio on my NAS, no problems, but I have 16GB of RAM.
I only know that my AV Scanner (ESET) causes issues while network traffice, but not Resilio. I also don't understand how it should affect it. And freezing the PC up more looks like some hardware/driver issues of the NIC and/or mainboard. Maybe a simple solution could be to delay the transfer. I don't have 10Gbps, only 1Gbps, but everything is fine. No freezes. (except with the AV Scanners firewall)
The sync conflicts, peers stuff, I had these issues in the past. All of them got fixed with the latest updates. Did you send them your recent bug reports?
Debug and SSD. What's the problem? The lifespan of a SSD should be enough to survive constant logging, which is helpful to find bugs, something you want.
Debug reading: That's why you send them your bug reports via Resilio Sync.
I have 5 Windows devices in sync and 2 Smartphones (sadly the Android app really does not work properly) and no further issues so far, with 0.5TB of data and about 200k of files in sync.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:02 PM, Alex. said:

@MaxA

Hopefully you didn't mean that seriously all. Resilio Sync is great software, no question about it, but there have been a few bugs in the past few weeks, haven't they?

I mean, we are not here to criticize, we all want to support and also to take you further. As of version 2.0.0, there have always been updates. If updates are made now, it shows interest in the users who go through every fire with you because they all highly value your software.

Easy to understand, or not?

Looking at the change log  and the forum posts for the last three releases:

2.6.4.1344 - December 27, 2019 - contains literally one fix

2.6.3.1340 - January 14, 2019 - 4 lines in the changelog

2.6.2.1330 - November 22, 2018  - 10 lines, a reasonable release

So we had two releases in all of 2019, and one of them was literally just a single issue security fix.

We went through all of 2019 without a significant release. It's not unreasonable to hope for something more if you want us to believe the app has not been abandoned. As for Frank's complaints about apps that update "too often", well that hardly seems relevant.

Maybe there's a huge 3.0 waiting in the wings… but if that's the case, I hope a beta will be coming out soon.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:46 PM, luomat said:

So we had two releases in all of 2019, and one of them was literally just a single issue security fix.

We went through all of 2019 without a significant release. It's not unreasonable to hope for something more if you want us to believe the app has not been abandoned. As for Frank's complaints about apps that update "too often", well that hardly seems relevant.

Let's not forget Resilio Sync for Android, albeit appeared in "Latest Desktop Build" topics, it has not got any updates since Dec., 2018, back then my phone was running Android 8 (now it's running Android 10).

Resilio Sync software is very useful, but it is buggy in a worrisome way -- at least on my Mac running Catalina. When I click on an rsls placeholder file to download the file from another computer, the placeholder soon disappears and I am left uncertain when the file will complete downloading. The Sync icon in my menu bar shows no download progress either, just a slowly rotating animation indicating that the download (or another upload or download? I can't tell) is happening. So, yes, the software does seem to have bugs and I am concerned by the pace of updating at Resilio. Not concerned enough to switch to something else (which I hope I won't have to do), but concerned nevertheless.

@eltopo Indeed. We are going to get it fixed soon :)

@Shlen Double checked on Catalina - works as expected, placeholder stays and shows the progress till file gets loaded. Integration with OS shell is always kinda breaking point. As a quick solution try right-clicking and pick the "Sync to this device". Alternatively, collect debug logs + make a short video + send us support ticket with all that stuff.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:02 PM, Alex. said:

@MaxA

Thank you, @Alex., for your sincere feedback gathering.

First of all, I want to make clear that Sync is an incredible software solution, and I wouldn't spend time on this if I didn't truly believe in it. I don't know what your affiliation or position within Resilio Inc. is, but I would like to think out loud about Sync as a product. Needless to say that I can't and I won't tell you how to run your business.

According to Crunchbase, you are a startup company in a very early stage. As far as I know, this kind of company is based on growth, which is understood as continually increasing Key Performance Indicators (e.g.: downloads, monthly active users, user acquisition, income, etc.). For the sake of your users, I honestly wish founders and stakeholders share this vision.

In my opinion, the cadence you are delivering new versions and patches is clashing with what I consider a healthy software product development. If it is true that you have "enough" developers–hiring is also growing–, you should definitely embrace agile software development and release smaller builds but at a faster pace.

As I see it, in terms of file synchronization you are battling giants like Google, Microsoft or Dropbox. If we just take self-hosted and E2E-encrypted services, the competition is reduced to Owncloud/Nextcloud, Seafile and a very few more. It is worth to mention that Proton is supposed to be also working on a sync service with the same security and privacy standards as they currently do with ProtonMail.

Actually, I don't know what Resilio's intentions are and what is the market you are targeting, but if you want to play alongside the top-tier ones, you should let the innovation flow across your whole team. You should also pay attention to your NPS, which I think is heavily affected by the bugs Sync currently has. Just think of how negative it would be to customer satisfaction to come across with a bug that causes data loss.

Now, please let me explain my particular case and why I can't rely on Sync as it is today. My usage is personal, so I have a Family Pro license. I want to run Resilio Sync in my home NAS and synchronize my files across all my devices (Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS). My main requirements are:

• Self-hosted
  • Available in WAN (no VPN)
  • P2P (no trackers or relays)
  • Client-side encryption (untrusted server)
  • Files on-demand (Selective Sync)
  • Share files/folders with my family

Now let's imagine I create a new Encrypted folder in my macOS desktop. Then I enable Selective Sync on it, but no peers have my key yet. I put some files on it and in Finder I select Remove from this device. My files are gone forever. Sync doesn't check at all that there's any copy of the file before creating a placeholder, and for sure it wouldn't prevent you from deleting the last existing copy. So, every time I sync a large folder, I have to be 100% sure that all files have been correctly copied into my NAS before freeing space up in my device.

Furthermore, in the mobile app, you cannot manually download a file when in mobile data if you have set Allowed network to WiFi only. That makes no sense. The express intent of the user should override this limitation. UI/UX is failing here since the file looks like it's about to download, but it never does.

The auto-upload of camera photos can't be done with an encrypted folder. You have to manually create an encrypted folder, then copy the RW key to your mobile device and manually set the path to the DCIM folder, which is not possible in the iOS client. I want everything to be client-side encrypted because of security (my NAS can get compromised) and because of privacy within all the users.

Peers with encrypted keys are Read-only. This means that Archive in these peers, or making regular backups of the encrypted files, are quite useless because you can't just recover a file (or the whole directory, since file names are hidden) and send it back to your RW/RO peers. I can't try it right now, but I found --decrypt feature quite buggy, with crashes, "Segmentation fault" errors, 0-bits results or no output at all.

Also, my firewall is constantly blocking connection attempts to your trackers or relays, even if I explicitly tell it not to use them in every individual folder and in power user preferences (plus send_statistics set to false).

Last but not least, I have had many sync problems, and in the desktop app I can read "Cannot download XXX files", but it doesn't show me which ones until I stop the NAS client. It is quite scary knowing that you might have lost a file. I think it could be that you created a file and you deleted it before it was completely copied (think of a video taken by mistake in a smartphone), but I'm not sure.

But what definitively pushed me away from Resilio Sync was "Bad Piece" and "FAILED HASH CHECK" errors between my NAS and my macOS client, which lacks a max sync reattempts policy and ends by clogging my logs and network.

That's all that comes to my mind right now, and the reasons I can't use Resilio Sync even if I love it. And so many defects makes me wonder if you do any QA or if you even use your own product in a real-life situation.

To sum up, in my opinion there's still a lot of work to do. I think I speak on behalf of most of this forum users of your users if I say we are waiting for a mature production-ready product, and this is where all our concerns come from. We don't want it to die.

Thanks for reading.

Yours sincerely,
Oriol

@odelrio, I agree with you. I have already commented on such things.

Since I have been using Resilio on all my Synology servers for a long time, it is for me simply a very good software with a lot of potential.

And since I have the same opinion here, I have been using syncthing in parallel for a long time. Well, not only because of that, but first as a test, then productively. In comparison, it doesn't have Resilio's performance. But Syncthing's support is a bit more active than this, but there are bugs and problems as well, which are fixed. In my opinion Syncthing has now reached Resilio's level. The lead that was clearly there was wasted.

Resilio's marketing shouldn't forget one thing and that is the community. Because with this it concerns companies and thus to professional clientele and the best advertising is created by this group. Microsoft already knew that, which is why it had this success.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:15 AM, Andy+ said:

Hopefully you didn't mean that seriously all. Resilio Sync is great software, no question about it, but there have been a few bugs in the past few weeks, haven't they?

I mean, we are not here to criticize, we all want to support and also to take you further. As of version 2.0.0, there have always been updates. If updates are made now, it shows interest in the users who go through every fire with you because they all highly value your software.

Easy to understand, or not?

@Andy+ 👍🤝

P.S.

That's right. I'm not criticizing. I'm asking the questions. I hope to get answers. I don't want Resilio as a product to "die". I paid for the license. 😉

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2020 at 1:02 PM, AlexC said:

Reading such comments from the staff shows the attitude in such topics. If everything was TipTop, no one would ask for updates. In addition to the written comments, also it is overlooked that operating systems are also making their progress. If you study the forum carefully, everyone will see it.

Why is Connect on v2.12.2 and Sync still on v2.7.2?

And here we are, more than a year after AlexC's question, still asking if there's going to be a new version.

It's almost as if we're asking about new versions because there are bugs and unimplemented features.

I'm starting to wonder if we will ever see a native version of Resilio Sync on Apple Silicon (arm64/M1) Macs.

Hey all,

did anyone notice that yesterday was exactly 1 year since the latest version 2.7.2 was released? I was expecting some cake or at least a 1st anniversary without updates party! 🎂

But seriously, Resilio, we love ResilioSync and we want it to live a successful life! Please communicate with us before we all have no chance but to move on to inferior products.

Just for statistics and what shows (!):

Build Date Days bet. Max/Min/Aver
Latest desktop build 2.7.2  21.07.2020 34 344
Latest desktop build 2.7.1  17.06.2020 40 1
Latest Desktop Build 2.7.0  08.05.2020 136 31
Latest Desktop Build 2.6.4  24.12.2019 344  
Latest Desktop Build 2.6.3  14.01.2019 53  
Latest Desktop Build 2.6.2  22.11.2018 57  
Latest desktop build 2.6.1  26.09.2018 62  
Latest desktop build 2.6.0  26.07.2018 63  
Latest desktop build 2.5.13  24.05.2018 133  
Latest desktop build 2.5.12  11.01.2018 2  
Latest desktop build 2.5.11  09.01.2018 22  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.10  18.12.2017 74  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.9  05.10.2017 29  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.8  06.09.2017 28  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.7  09.08.2017 27  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.6  13.07.2017 8  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.5  05.07.2017 16  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.4  19.06.2017 11  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.3  08.06.2017 21  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.2  18.05.2017 1  
Latest Desktop Build 2.5.1  17.05.2017 43  
Latest Desktop Build 2.4.5  04.04.2017 116  
Latest Desktop Build 2.4.4  09.12.2016 4  
Latest Desktop Build 2.4.3  05.12.2016 24  
Latest Desktop Build 2.4.2  11.11.2016 43  
Latest Desktop Build 2.4.1  29.09.2016 16  
Latest Desktop Build 2.4.0  13.09.2016 83  
Latest Desktop Build 2.3.8  22.06.2016 49  
Latest Desktop build 2.3.7  04.05.2016 37  
Latest Desktop build 2.3.6  28.03.2016 11  
Latest Desktop build 2.3.5  17.03.2016 1  
Latest Desktop build 2.3.4  16.03.2016 22  
Latest Desktop build 2.3.3  23.02.2016 5  
Latest Desktop build 2.3.2  18.02.2016 16  
Latest Desktop Build 2.3.1  02.02.2016 12  
Latest Desktop Build 2.3.0  21.01.2016 69  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.7  13.11.2015 11  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.6  02.11.2015 24  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.5  09.10.2015 3  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.4  06.10.2015 7  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.3  29.09.2015 6  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.2  23.09.2015 7  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.1  16.09.2015 7  
Latest Desktop Build 2.2.0 09.09.2015 9  
Latest Destkop Build 2.1.4  31.08.2015 17  
Latest Desktop Build 2.1.3  14.08.2015 3  
Latest Desktop Build 2.1.2  11.08.2015 22  
Latest Desktop Build 2.1.1  20.07.2015 5  
Latest Desktop Build 2.1.0  15.07.2015 19  
Latest Desktop Build 2.0.128  26.06.2015 1  
Latest Desktop Build 2.0.127  25.06.2015 2  
Latest Desktop Build 2.0.126  23.06.2015 5  
Latest Desktop Build 2.0.125  18.06.2015 10  
Latest Desktop Build 2.0.124  08.06.2015 20  
Latest Desktop Build 2.0.120  19.05.2015 70  
Sync 2.0 Is Available  10.03.2015 33  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.110  05.02.2015 31  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.106  05.01.2015 55  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.103  11.11.2014 11  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.99  31.10.2014 14  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.93  17.10.2014 1  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.92  16.10.2014 6  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.91  10.10.2014 22  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.83  18.09.2014 2  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.82  16.09.2014 14  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.75  02.09.2014 6  
Latest Desktop Build 1.4.72  27.08.2014 27  
Latest Desktop Build 1.3.109  31.07.2014 45  
Latest Desktop Build 1.3.106  16.06.2014 28  
Latest Desktop Build 1.3.105  19.05.2014 13  
Latest Desktop Build 1.3.94  06.05.2014 19  
Latest Desktop Build 1.3.93  17.04.2014 8  
Latest Desktop Build 1.3.87  09.04.2014 1  
Latest Desktop Build 1.3.86  08.04.2014    

23 hours ago, Miyo said:

But seriously, Resilio, we love ResilioSync and we want it to live a successful life! Please communicate with us before we all have no chance but to move on to inferior products.

My wife and I have used Resilio Sync from the early 1.x days. I was even in the private beta group for some time.

However, we are now planning a move off Resilio Sync. It's encouraging that there is a Mac build, but other than that it seems that Resilio Sync is largely dead. Maybe they are working on a big new version, but I find that highly unlikely. Even when the Resilio folks were working on new feature releases, there used to be regular bugfix/stable releases.

My guess is that Resilio Sync is only a small market nowadays. Most people use cloud services and those that want peer to peer sync have largely settled on SyncThing. Resilio Connect offers a enterprise-wide solution and results in larger bulk license sales + probably less support per license.

Of course, the question is where to go? SyncThing is pretty much out of the question for us, since it's not something that you can ask non-savvy family members and friends to install. Dropbox was robust and fast (if a cloud solution is possible), but the client has a large amount of feature creep, upsell nonsense, etc. Though, there is a pretty large chance that we'll land on Dropbox anyway, since they have a family plan now.